Oxidation In Plastic Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger

Reaction score
Has anybody had any problem using the plastic (coppers) style bottles for comps.

In Particular oxidation problems.

Stagger

Sorry, what I was trying to say is when I enter a comp I use normal glass bottles, however having talked to some brewers about Carbonation or lack of it. They suggested switching to the plastic bottles (coppers style), so when they are carbonated they go hard.
On the other hand I also have heard that oxidation is caused using them i.e. plastic this has never happened to me as I have just started using them and yet to enter one in a comp.
I know that beer is bottled in them and soft drink but just wanted to get a feel from this site of exceptional brewers.

Stagger

When I first started brewing I used coopers pet plastic bottles and had beer in the bottle for up to 3 months and had great carbonation every time.

Only reason I went to glass is because I want them to age for up to 10-12 months and apparently with Pet after 4-6 months they start loosing the gas in them.

If you drink within 4 months they are ideal and eliminate the fear of bottle bombs, dont listen if people say theres a taste difference as there is none.

I have beers from 18 months ago in plastic bottles - I can't detect any loss of carbonation against simillarly aged glass bottles. I honestly believe there's a lot of rubbish talked about this & that loss of carbonation is more likely to be from a poor seal or under priming...
Also haven't detected oxidisation as a result of plastic either...

But on a personal preference & propably for no other reason than aesthetics - I can't get away from glass - so anything not destined for a comp or kegged, gets bottled in glass...

cheers Ross...

Stagger - ive used them for a couple of brews and never had a problem. They didnt really stay full for long though!....thing is I dont really like them. Ive got about 25 you can have if you want?
Cheers
Steve

Back