Owning / Leasing a Pub Hotel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunous

I Drink VB
Reaction score
I've got the opportunity, kinda :ph34r: , to lease a local pub.

Just wondering if anyones done it and would do it, hated it, would do it again or whatever.

Im waiting on details to come through, VERY VERY slow process it seems. Still not sure what i'll do yet, and thought I'd throw it out there to the brewing pub loving community.

Cheers,
Shaun.

I'd love the chance to run a pub.

Great beers with variery, fantastic food, cosy seating.

But absolutely no TVs, T-A-B nor Poker Machines.

Wonder how long I'd stay in business ;)

Yep, work has one with another 2 on the way. Ever run a volatile cash based business before? Its all about managing cash and costs.

Mr Wibble said:
I'd love the chance to run a pub.

Great beers with variery, fantastic food, cosy seating.

But absolutely no TVs, T-A-B nor Poker Machines.

Wonder how long I'd stay in business ;)
Location is a biggie. I can think of at least 20 of these types of pubs around Melbourne's inner/not so inner north. Out here in the east it's a different story.

pat_00 said:
Location is a biggie. I can think of at least 20 of these types of pubs around Melbourne's inner/not so inner north. Out here in the east it's a different story.
i hear that

And the other thing I have learnt is never build a Taj Mahal and think 'they will come'. Taj Mahal has already been built, so need a different idea ...

Hate them or not Pokies and the TAB makes money. It's about putting them and there annoying noises away in the back corner somewhere. TAB doesn't make the hotel anything, in fact it's costs to have it, BUT it brings in the punters.

I myself hate pokies, never play them. TAB on the other hand, I'm a punter and own a couple race horses, so I'd prefer have it.

This isn't a city pub, it's a country pub, couldn't handle the city thing.

Never run a cash business as such, no. Have housing investments and I'm a primary producer, cattle farmer.

shaunous said:
TAB doesn't make the hotel anything, in fact it's costs to have it, BUT it brings in the punters.
It generates business and customers who in turn buy drinks/food which offsets the cost and increase overall takings.

Having run a TAB in a pub, you need every punter to have 6 schooners while they are punting to make anything...

TABs end up costing venues that have a small turnover.

Craft beer bars can make a fortune but it is hard work and you will need to educate your customers why they cant have a gold/ vb etc.

Also if you serve good booze, you generally get a good crowd. Funny how most of the dickheads that start trouble are XXXX/ VB/ Bundy/ jim beam drinkers......

Get a good cook/chef,try for freehold you own it outright,leasehold your paying someone else.see what sort of turnover it's been making over the last years.

I hate pokies with a passion, but I did go to a couple of nice pubs in NSW that had a few machines tucked away somewhere. I found that was a decent compromise as they didn't spoil the pub environment. It felt weird to me, as pubs that have pokies in Melbourne are usually horrible places to be.

I've looked at pubs a few times (most of my mid life crisis event :) ) , it's a 24/7 job, income isn't that good and it's risky. Many pubs are shutting down and many on the market that have been there a long time.

True that mxd, there is a lot on the market, the price if alcohol these days has skyrocketed and the average Aussie 'cannot afford to drink at the pub now'.

It is a 24/7 job that's for sure...

Hmm, might have to start trekking to Grafton for afternoon beers if you open a pub...

Lol, come to Grafton to help drink Thunder Road Brewers 'Grafton Bitter', it's that disliked here you can get $2 schooners of it from the pubs when the kegs are going off. I know of myself and 4 others who actually like it, craft beer big in Grafton = NOPE...

Yeh it's not the greatest, but it's better than many others...

Latest posts

Back