Overcarbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkers

Reaction score
hey everyone,
new to home brewing, i was under the assumption that it was 1 TABLESPOON per longneck and after some research i have found it to be 1 TEASPOON roughly :-/. so i have a a 30 bottles sitting in the spare room I've bottle primed with a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon!!! Are they all gonna blow up? can i salvage them?

shit really? can i salvage? how long till they start popping? my landlord is coming for an inspection tonight, can only imagine if it went boom while he's showing people through the property

checkers said:
shit really? can i salvage? how long till they start popping? my landlord is coming for an inspection tonight, can only imagine if it went boom while he's showing people through the property
yea i bottled into mixed coopers/swan/carltondraught longnecks… :-(

Pop them all open and put an alfoil cap over them all asap after uncapping.

Let this sugar ferment out at 20-24C and then re-prime with a teaspoon.

Someone with more experience may no better but if it were mine id be putting on some safety glasses and welding gloves and taking the tops off

practicalfool said:
Pop them all open and put an alfoil cap over them all asap after uncapping.

Let this sugar ferment out at 20-24C and then re-prime with a teaspoon.
thanks mate, how long do i let them sit with foil? a month?

A week should be ok...
After a week, test one in a hydro and see if the extra sugar has disappeared (back to finishing gravity from fermenter). that's a definite sign of it being finished.

practicalfool said:
A week should be ok...
After a week, test one in a hydro and see if the extra sugar has disappeared (back to finishing gravity from fermenter). that's a definite sign of it being finished.
good man, popped em all then and covered em in foil. a few started spilling over already… next sunday ill check and re-sugar. thanks mate, owe ya a beer ;-)

i would cut your loses now. I think the time taken to uncap, ferment out again, re-prime without introducing bacteria or wild yeast etc., you could have brewed and bottled a whole new batch.

i disagree micblair- salvaging a batch by uncapping and alfoil caps is not particularly time consuming and unlikely to cause major infection problems. I would definitely do it rather than chuck.

g

it is done… took all of 10 minis!!! and i will put a TEASPOON!!! hahahaha back into the same bottle and recap after returning to the "OG". whilst trying to minimalise exposure to the world. worth a crack. less effort than cleaning glass and froth up all through the spare room.

just a thought but what if i just re-capped now? would it have released enough pressure not to blow up again?
will there be enough yeast left to carbonate again?

It could be hit and miss with capping on gravity readings, hence why it is easier to let ferment out before priming. You can get the residual gravity right but if the yeast were to chew away further than you thought its bottle bombs again.

Back