Overcarbonated Keg..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobNewy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been a while. I have just gotten back into homebrew after a year off, and have gone the kegging route.
My first keg was carbed perfect, but, I accidently froze this second one. So it was dead flat whn I thawed it out.
I sat it on 275kpa for 3 days. I know reckon this was way to long.
I have been rocking this bloody keg for nearly 3 hours , burping it all the time, spraying beer all over the bloody place.

Will it come back, or is it toast? Im getting bloody thirsty, so really need an answer to this one.

If I leave the airlock valve thingo pulled and turned for a day, should it be ok?

Cheers

It'll be ok. Let it warm up & it'll be easy to get rid of some carbonation.

Hi all,
Been a while. I have just gotten back into homebrew after a year off, and have gone the kegging route.
My first keg was carbed perfect, but, I accidently froze this second one. So it was dead flat whn I thawed it out.
I sat it on 275kpa for 3 days. I know reckon this was way to long.
I have been rocking this bloody keg for nearly 3 hours , burping it all the time, spraying beer all over the bloody place.

Will it come back, or is it toast? Im getting bloody thirsty, so really need an answer to this one.

If I leave the airlock valve thingo pulled and turned for a day, should it be ok?

Cheers

Let it warm up and every time you walk past it, give it a burp.
Unless you want a beer tonight, in which case pour a jug and let it settle in the fridge.

Gas goes in, gas comes out, simple really

Let it warm up and every time you walk past it, give it a burp.
Unless you want a beer tonight, in which case pour a jug and let it settle in the fridge.

Gas goes in, gas comes out, simple really

Thanks for the reply.

Will it not taste like crap when I chuck it back in the fridge?

No mate, it'll be fine.

So, if I leave it out overnight, burp the bajezus out of it all night, should it be good to gas tomorrow morning?
Or is it just a trial and error thing?

Much appreciated for the replies

The CO2 will want to come out of solution as the beer warms up. You can either try to decarbonate it a bit as it warms up to try to get it to the right level, or decarbonate it completely & re-carbonate it again, properly.
I'd be inclined to do the first option, but maybe the second option would be easier for you.

First option is pretty much trial & error, 2nd option is almost a sure thing.

I have never over carbed a keg to the degree it sounds like you have ...

When I do 'bang it up' a little too much I deal with it like this;

Disconnect gas.

Completely bleed pressure from keg.
Go back and pour beer later, it can take like 5 minutes for it to dribble out...
then bleed it dry.
Then next pour a beer, it will dribble out..

So on and so on.... So you are using the gas escaping from the beer to serve it... thus reducing it... and you may find because the beer is poured so slowly, it may actually drink quite well...

In summary, just pour with the kegs own pressure for serving this will also reduce foaming.. empty the pressure before going to bed...

Depending on over carbed level it may be a day or can take 3 ish....

2.065c

Thanks again, i will leave it out overnight, and smack it back in the morning.
Cheers All!

The missus was crook today, so she burped the keg all day for me.
Bless her cotton pickin socks.
Home this arvo, poured a small one under its own steam and looks good.
Back in the fridge and hopefully drinkable tomorrow night.

Thanks again for the ideas

Back