Over The Side Immersion Heater?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Hi All,

Probably been covered before but having trouble trying to work out where to go and what type to go with.
I am building an all electric brew rig using 50lt kegs, I am going to use a fixed element for the HLT and an over the side element for the kettle, obviously I need a low density element to prevent scorching the wort and was thinking about getting a 3600w type if available.

Could someone pls help me out with this one??
Ive emailed grimwoodheaters and they haven't replied and not sure on the tobins site what density their elements are, have contacted Stokes and they said I shouldnt use an element designed for water heating as it wont last and they only had 1500w elements that would fit into a keg @ approx $150ea

I've never seen a 3600W over the side element and don't reckon you'll find one. If it were me, I'd go with a 2200/2400W fixed element in the kettle and also buy a 2200/2400W over the side element. This will get you up to the boil quicker (with both elements) and will also allow you to do stepped mashes etc wth the over the side element. Just need to be mindful of the current being drawn by all elements in use at the same time... YMMV.

sap.

I use a over the side one in my 19 ltr pot.

It takes about 10 - 15 to get going properly...dunno how well it would go in a bigger pot.

I don't sit it on this little table anymore either...bad move that one....I now do it from the BBQ hob.

wortboil.jpg

Hey mate, I got one of these: https://grimwood.prontoavenue.biz/products/PC08B000S
Its 2400W. Gets a good rolling boil eventually. Takes about 40-60 min to heat up 28L from mash temperature but I can start it when i got about 15L in the pot (it need 10cm coverage to no burn out when on)
I got it for $116 I think. I can't remember exactly, but grain and grape were happy to price match for the same as from grimwood.

I have a secondhand one in perfect working condition $50.00. (Like Beernorks)

If it were me, I'd go with a 2200/2400W fixed element in the kettle and also buy a 2200/2400W over the side element.

G'Day Sap,

Have you actually done this? I wanted to try this with my concealed element Crown urn. I need something to get me to the boil with those high gravity worts.

Shane

Latest posts

Back