Over The Side Immersion Heater

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry

To thine own self brew
Reaction score
Good Day
Could anyone tell me the best place to buy an over the side immersion heater in Sydney, approx 2400w?

Not sure exactly Barry but I got mine from my local Cetnaj electrical wholesaler. They had to order one in but it only took a day.

Easy.

The best place is grimwood heating at villawood. There all made on site , great range and price and the salesman is very helpful.

just google grimwood for a online catalouge.

Hi Barry

I had a SG3 - way back in 2004

I bought it from MMEM who supply electrical goods
The SG3 is an over the side 2400W immersion heater manufactured by Stokes

The thread has a lot more info on heaters, but some of the info may be out of date.

Cheers
Pedro

I had some luck wit JR Turks....phone around and ask if they have them in stock.....might be lucky like me and get 2 for $150 bucks.....4108 type.

I have seen a description of to build one on the net but lost the link, anyone able to help

rgds mike

I have seen a description of to build one on the net but lost the link, anyone able to help

rgds mike
google "heatstick" or something similar as that is what our friend's in the US call them or have a look on www.brewboard.com

ESB used to always have them in stock
Cheers
Gerard

Yep, I got one from ESB probably 5 years ago now. Still works a treat. In fact I am using it more and more these days!

Hey Gerard, just gotta make sure you don't use you're mate's dodgy old extension cord huh?!?! :lol:

I'm looking at getting an immersion heater too. This is some stuff i've found:

First 2400 watt is the most you can run on a normal household circuit in aus

Listed Here are a few commercial ones you can buy:

http://www.esbeer.com.au/category38_1.htm

http://www.tobins.com.au/HTML/ItemHTML/4108.htm (I'm fairly sure i will get this one as it has a hook and is not too pricey)

The following link take you through building one tho once you factor in cost of parts + time and the fact that your build quality (or mine at least) is going to be dodgier than a professionals I would just buy one and not have the risk of shorts etc ....

http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

I would be interested to see what route you end up going with.

Something to note from my reading is that you will want to insulate whatever vessel you are boiling in as it will have a big impact on boil times.

Obviously I'm in Adelaide - but I can get hold of them, it's just been a while since I got one for anyone. I'm waiting on a price at the moment as someone here has asked for one so I'll update here for information's sake.

G'day

I had Grimwood make one for me but it is 14.4kW so a little more than you are after. Having said that, I found their service and product ot be great.

Cheers

Pete

http://www.tobins.com.au/HTML/ItemHTML/4108.htm (I'm fairly sure i will get this one as it has a hook and is not too pricey)

I've got 2 of the Tobins 4108C models in my brewery that have been boiling up a storm for a few years without missing a beat. They're exactly the same as the 4108 except black rather than nickel plated - and $20 cheaper :lol:

I turned up to buy them in person at Tobins a few years ago, asked for the 4108 & the sales guy asked if i'd looked at the 4108C. I asked what the difference was and he said "Um...It's black" :D

Jez

I use and can recommend a Tobins immersion element...

Cheers,
TL

Just heard back on the price for these puppies....

- 2400W immersion element, 1.8m cord, 'incalloy 800' element material, with support hook and plastic handle - $98.00 ea.

Barry, I got mine from Tobin in Syd, was about $79.

Cheers - Mike

Good Day
Could anyone tell me the best place to buy an over the side immersion heater in Sydney, approx 2400w?

If you are not in a hurry try op shops or garage sales. I purchased to from my local secondhand shop for $25ea. A real bargain when you consider they are around $100+ new.

BYB

Good Day
Thanks for all the advice. I researched most of the suggestions and finally bought two 4108C's from Grimwood (Korev wanted one too). Grimwood were close by and at $82 each they seemed competitive. I appreciated the help. :beer:

Good Day
Thanks for all the advice. I researched most of the suggestions and finally bought two 4108C's from Grimwood (Korev wanted one too). Grimwood were close by and at $82 each they seemed competitive. I appreciated the help. :beer:

Nice price for new.

BYB

Latest posts

Back