Over the side heating element to replace busted Birko element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchop41

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have inherited a Birko urn from my workplace - an older model of this. 30L capacity, 2400W element.
The boss gave it to me because it wouldn't heat up at lower temps. Sure enough, there were issues with the element heating at lower temps when I tested it at home, but weirdly enough I managed to get it to heat and maintain a good rolling boil if I made sure that the water that I added to the urn was over 60oC. I did 2 brews with no issues.

Now it won't heat at all, regardless of the starting water temp. :huh: I have been quoted between $120-150 by a couple of Birko service places in the local area to fix it, so I am wondering about OTS elements to use instead.

Does anyone know if one of these or these could be used as an OTS element? I know that they can both be installed in a weldless manner, but I can't be stuffed with the hassle of drilling a hole to install one (lazy, I know. I still have to drill one in order to install a valve to drain through!).
I realise that this type/model is probably the best option, but the tight-ass in me sees an option for half the price and wants to spend the other $$$ on my beer :blink:

The last option is purchasing a replacement element myself and getting them to install it for me....
Thoughts??

I'd check the third option you had there and ask if it's a genuine Hotco branded heater. If so, it's $25 bucks cheaper than what Hotco charge themselves and does a very good job. 35L of water , an hour and a half to go from 20C to strike temp. The hook sits it nicely in a converted 50L commercial keg. On closer inmspection of mine in comparison, the moulding is quite different and suggests to me that it may be a cheaper knockoff. I have been known to be wrong though, 'bout '86 I think it was. I do like the Hotco, another member here suggested that path and he was pretty spot on.

I had some problems with my birko a while ago. The element was not the issue, it was the thermostat. I opened the bottom of the urn and bypassed the thermostat to connect the element directly to the cable with the plug on it. It worked perfectly. I did a few brews like this and then I wired it to an stc 1000 to give me temperature control for the mash and this also worked well. I now have converted my urn into a braumiser and use Mathos controller to run the element.
My suggestions for you would be:
Clean the element thoroughly by boiling some citric acid solution and scrubbing the shit off. Then try using as normal.
If you are still having problems get an electrician to wire an stc1000 to the heating element and you will also have control for mashing. If you do this you will need to cover the element so that you don't burn your bag.
Good luck mate, I hope this helps.

NealK said:
I had some problems with my birko a while ago. The element was not the issue, it was the thermostat. I opened the bottom of the urn and bypassed the thermostat to connect the element directly to the cable with the plug on it. It worked perfectly. I did a few brews like this and then I wired it to an stc 1000 to give me temperature control for the mash and this also worked well. I now have converted my urn into a braumiser and use Mathos controller to run the element.
My suggestions for you would be:
Clean the element thoroughly by boiling some citric acid solution and scrubbing the shit off. Then try using as normal.
If you are still having problems get an electrician to wire an stc1000 to the heating element and you will also have control for mashing. If you do this you will need to cover the element so that you don't burn your bag.
Good luck mate, I hope this helps.
Just jumped back on to say that I solved the problem, and saw your post, which is pretty much spot on to what I had just found - it appears that my issue was with the reset/boil dry button!

Because I'm such a stubborn *******, I couldn't let this thing beat me without a fight. After I inspected the whole thing, I found that the reset button near the base was shagged - it was loose and didn't provide any resistance or click when you pushed it. So I opened up the bottom, disconnected the wire to it and then plugged that wire straight into the element, thereby bypassing the reset button.
Threw in some water, flipped the switch, and HEY PRESTO! It's smashing out a rolling boil as I type :beerbang:
I'll post some pics soon, in case anyone else runs into the same problem :D

I may look into the STC down the track....need to get one to set up a fermentation fridge first....wait, I need a spare fridge/freezer to make the chamber out before I even worry about the STC :unsure: Oh well, at least I can spend money on that instead of a new element!

Latest posts

Back