Over Gased Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam77

Reaction score
I have a problem with my most recent brew. It was a Coopers Canadian Blond with speciality grain and hallertau hops added (dry hopped). I used US-05 yeast (re-used from last brew stored in fridge in sealed bottle). Fermented in primary for 10 days and secondary for 7 days. My 2 yr old daughter broke my hydrometer recently, so I couldn't take readings.

All of the bottles are well over-gassed. I didn't put much suger in to carbonate the bottles. There appears to be a lot more sediment in the bottles than usual, which suprises me considering I bottled from secondary.

I bottled into 500ml Grolsh bottles and have been trying to release the extra gas. If I don't do this the yeast wrecks the beer as it foams up when I open the bottle. It has been about 4 weeks since I first bottled.

Any thoughts on what could have gone wrong?

Adam.

My 2 yr old daughter broke my hydrometer recently, so I couldn't take readings.

This is what went wrong. Never, under any circumstances bottle a brew (especially in glass) if you don't know the FG or are suspect of the FG. The brew might have been there for 2-3 weeks, but how do you know it hasn't stalled? I would open/vent those bottle ASAP and keep them out of the way so if some bottles do go bang then hopefully no-one gets glass in their face, exploding glass bottles CAN kill you. Wear protective clothing whilst doing this!!

I have a problem with my most recent brew. It was a Coopers Canadian Blond with speciality grain and hallertau hops added (dry hopped). I used US-05 yeast (re-used from last brew stored in fridge in sealed bottle). Fermented in primary for 10 days and secondary for 7 days. My 2 yr old daughter broke my hydrometer recently, so I couldn't take readings.

All of the bottles are well over-gassed. I didn't put much suger in to carbonate the bottles. There appears to be a lot more sediment in the bottles than usual, which suprises me considering I bottled from secondary.

I bottled into 500ml Grolsh bottles and have been trying to release the extra gas. If I don't do this the yeast wrecks the beer as it foams up when I open the bottle. It has been about 4 weeks since I first bottled.

Any thoughts on what could have gone wrong?

Adam.

Wack them in the fridge (handling carefully and using gloves and eye protection). Chill right down, then you can open and de-gas.

extra sediemtn is oprobably because the yeast was still busy. As pennywise suggested - don't guess that your beer is ready. Your 2 year old is a very good reason to avoid bottle bombs and a very good reason to invest in a new hydrometer..

Thanks guys. I will pick up my 3rd hydrometer.

Will try and save these beers by de-gassing from fridge.

Adam.

Back