Out Of Date Tin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokodan

Reaction score
Hi All

Just a footnote and a querie to a post regarding out of date tins , just cracked a coopers draught which came with a kit i scored from E bay , just thought i'd utilise the can and sugars that came with the kit which hadn't been used , sat in primary for 2 weeks , been in bottle for 2 weeks and i just moved some to fridge for cold conditioning for another week when i just tried one , really dark colour , pretty good head retention which is quite light and fluffy , lots of small bubbles , a little sweet , would the dark colour and the sweetness bee due to the out of date tin ??, either way tastes allright to me :chug: . PS i think the can was about 6-12 months after "best before date"

Cheers

Dan

I've seen lots of comments on here about extract darkening with age so that'd be my guess as regards the colour. Sweetness might be not fermented properly - but that's even more of a guess. To my mind if it passes the taste test you're laughing.

Darkness and lack of bitterness sounds about right. I could see the bitterness fading with age, sort of like how a reheated chilli dish is never as hot as a fresh version of the same. Although the canning may prevent this, I don't know.

As microbe said, fermentation may have not finished yet - did you take a final gravity reading before bottling?

the out of date can has probably caused a lack in bitterness causing it to seem sweeter, but some unbalanced flavours in the beer will also be the result of a basic kit and kilo brewing method, and because it's still very young.

Darkness and lack of bitterness sounds about right. I could see the bitterness fading with age, sort of like how a reheated chilli dish is never as hot as a fresh version of the same. Although the canning may prevent this, I don't know.

As microbe said, fermentation may have not finished yet - did you take a final gravity reading before bottling?
Yeah boingk reading 1010 prior to bottling , thought it would be well done by 2 weeks in primary though??

Cheers

Dan

Yeah boingk reading 1010 prior to bottling , thought it would be well done by 2 weeks in primary though??

Cheers

Dan
2 weeks in primary should have done it. although if you used the yeast that come with the kits it may have not fermented properly. but you've bottled it now so its a waiting game. put it down as its young. try in 6 weeks. if worse comes to worse and its still not palatable try in 3-6 months. it should be ok. if not just feed it to freeloaders who come over. either way it was free beer!

Latest posts

Back