Out of date dry yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun07

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers,

I hope everyone’s holidays are going well if you on holidays. If not like me working I feel your pain.

Anyway my question is I’m planning on brewing a batch of hazy soon and the yeast I got for one reason or another hasn’t been used and is now out of date (11/22). It’s a dry pack so my question is do I need to make a yeast starter to make it more viable or will it be ok to just pitch as per normal?

Any help with this will be appreciated anyway cheers beers and have a good New Years

Shotgun

If your OG is greater than 1.060 then a starter would be ideal. Less than that the yeast should be fine. I have just used MJ 21 yeast in a Witbier that was 2 years out of date, a 2 litre starter that only needed 24 hours before pitching and the yeast took off and was finished in 5 days.

I’ve used quite a few packs of dried yeast that were well past the BBE date.
If they’re a year past and I have 2 sachets I’ll likely use both ‘just in case’ there’s been some loss of viability. I think it’s probably overkill though.
I had some 34/70 that was 4 years past the date and it was totally fine.
Mine is all stored in the fridge though and I think that really helps. Recently made a very good beer with some Diamond Lager yeast which was BBE October 2021.

Hey, I hope you weren't working the entire holiday season. Did you ever start a new batch with that yeast?

Hey, I hope you weren't working the entire holiday season. Did you ever start a new batch with that yeast?
Worked all the days apart from the public holidays. Brew day is this Saturday so I’ll see how it goes I’m going to double up the yeast with one that was kept out at room temp by accident I’ll keep you posted

Back