Optimum maturity time for different beer styles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn

Reaction score
[SIZE=10.5pt]Firstly I apologise if this has been covered before.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I recently brewed an export stout in which I sampled the other day and IMO its too young being in bottle for 8 weeks. I'd like to believe considerably more ageing will improve it but I don’t know when that ideal period will be.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]So in response to that I'm making myself simple maturity scheduler based on styles. I'm planning on using the periodic beer style table to pidgeon hole the different styles. I'd appreciate some input on the optimum maturity time for the different styles. I expect some disagreements and realise some brews will fall into more than one style but I just want to create a general guideline. Thanks for any help.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Using the Pale ale as example the optimum time would be 77days (11weeks) 21+14+42.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]With 2 weeks either side being the optimum window. (28days-42 perfect-56days). With the 14- prior to being a good time to sample/test prior to giving away or readying for comp or a party. And the -84? being the outside fresh period. Not that it harms the beer leaving longer. Hope this makes sense. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] Style Ferment Bottle condtion Mature peak [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] Carbonation[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] I. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Wheat Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] II. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Lambic & Sour Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] III. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Belgian[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] IV. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Pale Ale 21 days + 14 days + 14-([/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]28-42-56[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt])-84? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] V. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]English Bitter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] VI. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Scottish Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] VII. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Brown Ale 21 14 14-([/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]28-42-56[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt])-84[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]VIII. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Porter 21 14 ??-([/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]??-??-??[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt])-??[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] IX. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Stout2 21 14 ??-([/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]??-??-??[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt])-??[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] X. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Pilsner 7+28(lager) 14 ??-([/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]??-??-??[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt])-??[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] XI. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]American Lager[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] XII. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]European Lager[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]XIII. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Bock[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]XIV. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Alt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] XV. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]French Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]XVI. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]German Amber Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]XVII. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]American Special[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]XVIII. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Smoked Beer[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]XIX. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Barley Wine[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] XX. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Strong Ale[/SIZE]

Very subjective and very dependant on temperature of ferment/conditioning/bottle storage. (ie less yeast pitched will result in longer conditioning times for optimal taste, although that is also subjective [and variable] depending on style). Also variable based on the ABV, IBU's etc, etc. Back in my pre-cask conditioning days, ie 10-14 days in primary and then bottle, I found that 3 months (90 days) was the optimum time for flavour. Since moving on to secondary conditioning I have usually stuck to 1 to 2 months, bottle conditioning, but it's very much dependant on style. I still find that 3 months plus does the beer justice.
I had a 7.5% Russian Imperial Stout that's recipe called for a minimum of 18 months bottle conditioning. I gave it 6 months cask conditioning and then 18 months bottle conditioning. After 2 years, it wasn't bad, but it continued to get better year after year. The last bottle at year 5 was still great and better than at 2 years, with others saying the same.

Can't help you much with your stats, but I think as a general rule for low to medium ABV your 49 + day optimum is good, but higher gravity beers, bocks etc will take longer I like the fact that you are searching for the optimum for your beers before you have to :chug: them. It's always best to make sure you have room to make more :D

Interesting and I like the idea.
How do you judge the 'peak maturation'? I mean obviously it is up to the taste of it, right? But do you have some criteria you have thought about?

I would think it is not just the style that is important but also the ABV, IBU and gravity. Basically what Jack of all biers said.

Thanks Jack, I guess it's too subjective, too many variables. Already I'm thinking add 2-4 weeks for every .05 gravity points above the base peak. Maybe I'll ask as ea recipe comes along. Anyone want to chime in on how long I should store my bottles for a 7.3% export stout? Also, soon start fermenting a Wee Heavy, I imagine that takes bit more time too.

Hi Jasons, American Pale ales & IPA's are the only ones I'm fairly confident of. I start drinking my ales 28 days after bottling. The other styles I don't know. I've read a Lambic or a Sour can take 12-18months to ferment/condition, but then after bottling, typically what would its ideal age range be?

A very interesting question and one I have pondered myself.

The information I have gleaned from the net does not give equivocal answers. Guidance suggests the ABV and malt/hop composition be your guide.
High alcohol = age for 6+ months
Hoppy = drink immediately
Dark malts = better aging potential
Cold storage = able to age for a lot longer

In general, fresher is better for most styles of beer. A well fermented beer does not need much time to age - ask any commercial brewer how long they age their Porters, Stouts, Bitters etc.

I. Wheat Ale ASAP
II. Lambic & Sour Ale 1-10 years
III. Belgian 2-12 months, based on abv and colour
IV. Pale Ale 2-3 months
V. English Bitter 2-4 months
VI. Scottish Ale 4-6 months
VII. Brown Ale 4-6 months
VIII. Porter 4-6 months
IX. Stout 4-6 months
X. Pilsner 2-6 months (always kept cold)
XI. American Lager 2-4 months (always kept cold)
XII. European Lager 2-4 months (always kept cold)
XIII. Bock 4-12 months
XIV. Alt 4-6 months, based on abv and colour
XV. French Ale Biere De Garde?
XVI. German Amber Ale 4-6 months
XVII. American Special don't know this "style"
XVIII. Smoked Beer highly variable
XIX. Barley Wine 6-72 months
XX. Strong Ale 6-24 months

labrooy said:
Even reduce these times
VI. Scottish Ale 2-6 months
VII. Brown Ale 2-4 months
VIII. Porter 2-6 months
IX. Stout 2-6 months

Excellent response, thank you

XV. French Ale Biere De Garde?
Yes.

XVII. American Special : cream ale or steam beer

Damn said:
Hi Jasons, American Pale ales & IPA's are the only ones I'm fairly confident of. I start drinking my ales 28 days after bottling. The other styles I don't know. I've read a Lambic or a Sour can take 12-18months to ferment/condition, but then after bottling, typically what would its ideal age range be?
Unfortunately I have no idea really! Particularly about sours and lambics. Never tried to brew any of those yet. And that is also why I am interested in following this thread :)

Damn said:
Hi Jasons, American Pale ales & IPA's are the only ones I'm fairly confident of. I start drinking my ales 28 days after bottling.
See, I'd say you should drink IPAs as soon as you can get them carbed. The more hops in them the sooner you should drink them.

At the same time (and this is why this is a great idea for a thread) I would think the higher the alcohol the longer you should leave them for. So a 6.5% IPA - what do you do? Drink it quick or leave it?

The way i see it is from packaging ( as long as its not delayed packaging.) the IPA/Pale ale is spot on for me. 6 weeks form packaging is when its usually at its peak, and usually around 3 to 5 pints from the the keg blowing! :p

From experience, if the beer is sub 6%, its best consumed up to 6 months, if its highly hop forward (e.g. IIPA) and 6-8%, within 3 months.

Anything higher in is 6-24 months. with the product fading or evolving unreliably over time (Ive had a barley wine taste crap for 6 months then old ale like 6 months later.)

anything wild/brett 1month-10 or 15 years. :)

Got to agree with labrooy in relation to drinking time for wheat...i.e. ASAP. Just took 1st place for Wheat Beer at the NSW Comp...only 20 days from pitching the yeast to the judging table!!! I'm going to have to brew a fresh batch for the National Comp in October...because the first batch would not even figure two or three months on.

Cheers
Geoff :)

My Pillar of Stout needs about 3 months to smooth right out, Pales about 1 month

so another interesting question is the effect of temperature on aging. What will be the difference in flavour etc to say a brown ale stored at 4 degrees compared to one stored at room temperature? And what if you live in qld and your room temperature hits 30 degrees at times?

I agree with what mje says. They're at their peak when you decide they are. Personally I find APAs are at their best when fresh (4-5 weeks bottled), lagers around the same but a tad longer (5-6 weeks). At the other end of the scale, dark, heavy beers like porters and stouts get 6+ months.

It really has to come down to personal taste/preference in the end. If you feel a beer is better sooner than later then drink it sooner, no point leaving it to deteriorate just because of some theory.

The point of this thread is to create a guide optimum maturity as a starting point. So in future if I make a big beer, a dark belgian, a light wheat I could refere to a guide to know what its optimum age may be.
If l like my beer green, drink sooner than the guide. I don't need the guide muddied with personal taste(s). I believe you can have a general guide to suit most. My experience with brewers whom drink their brews sooner is it they're out of beer and they can't wait, not because its there personal preference to drink green beer..

Latest posts

Back