Style timeline....how long till my brew is ready, optimum.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn

Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple tool to help me with the timing on different styles.

eg. With all my ales I currently use the following time line.
  1. Ferment 3 weeks.
  2. Carb in bottles at same temp (19o) 2 weeks.
  3. Age to sample (9-18o ambient temp under house) 2 weeks .
  4. Optimum age 4 weeks. (Total 11 weeks)
  5. Out of date ......Not sure. Not many beers survive much past optimum.
I just started to use BeerSmith for my recipes which uses the same calendar timing for all brews?

I would like a tool that could tell me say a stouts optimum timeline or a lager, belgian strong etc. I can have 3 - 6 brews in my cellar. It would be nice to know which are at what stage by a quick look at a "time line" or calendar.

Maybe BeerSmith is the tool but is there then a ready reckoner that could tell me the typical timeline for a particular style?

Can't help you with the optimum time lines for different styles, because it will vary from brewer to brewer depending on personal preferences.

To give you an example, it is often trumpeted on this and other HB forums that Weizens should be drunk fresh and young. For me, I'm quite happy to drink them at 6 months of age, and they taste just as good to my palate as when they are green.

BeerSmith has a default timing calender, but you can design your own and use that instead. You are not hidebound by the default one.

Latest posts

Back