Opening My Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l7edwards

Reaction score
G'day
I've just purchased a basic keg system - including a 19L 2nd hand postmix keg, and this is probably a fairly silly question but basically i have no idea how to open the lid of the damn thing! The instructions i got with the keg dont go into this. I've released the pressure from the keg, so how do i take the lid off?

G'day
I've just purchased a basic keg system - including a 19L 2nd hand postmix keg, and this is probably a fairly silly question but basically i have no idea how to open the lid of the damn thing! The instructions i got with the keg dont go into this. I've released the pressure from the keg, so how do i take the lid off?

pull the handle - its the large u shaped handle looking bit on top of the lid.

G'day

Flip the retaining arm in the opposite direction (it looks like a latch, opposite from the two pins w/rubber knobs on the bottom). Grab the end of it with your fingers and flip it in the opposite direction. As the keg is postmix, the main o-ring seal will likely be "stuck" all gummy from the sugars, put your palm on the round (the whole top bit) and push down.. it should pop in the keg a cm or two at which time you can wrangle it out of the corny for cleaning.

reVox

on the top there is a lid - on the lid there should be some sort of handle, basically you grab that handle and pull it back or forth and the lid should come loose - once you have the lid loose there is a special way - on the lid there is a long end and a short end - short end comes out first then then long end. when you putting the lid back of long end in first, short end last...hope i havnt conffozld you.

I'll laugh if its a screw on bung style rheem/coke keg :lol:

:lol: hes got no hope after his first question ;)

No need to get nasty lads,
I'm guessing the lid is stuck on from the syrup left in the kegs.... , just lift the latch and push down. Or it could also be a screw type reem keg.
I know I've posted far sillier questions, good on you for asking! That's why this site is here.

Flip the retaining arm in the opposite direction (it looks like a latch, opposite from the two pins w/rubber knobs on the bottom). Grab the end of it with your fingers and flip it in the opposite direction. As the keg is postmix, the main o-ring seal will likely be "stuck" all gummy from the sugars, put your palm on the round (the whole top bit) and push down.. it should pop in the keg a cm or two at which time you can wrangle it out of the corny for cleaning.

reVox

And if the hand-push thing doesn't work get a block of scrap timber, place it on the (stuck) lid & give it a sharp tap with a hammer. Not a 14lb hammer but. :D

TP :beer:

PS --- Just saw your posts kook & MCT.

I'm guessing the lid is stuck on from the syrup left in the kegs.... , just lift the latch and push down. Or it could also be a screw type reem keg.
I know I've posted far sillier questions, good on you for asking! That's why this site is here.

+ 1 ....give the bloke a chance at least he had the balls to ask .... not all things are straight forward to everyone ..

nastiness was not my intention hence the reason for answering his question in post 2...just tongue in cheek hence the wink icon. :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers
Steve

Everyone has also forgot you must PURGE any residual C02 in the keg via the pressure release valve.

Without that there willbe too much positive pressure on the lid and it wont go anywhere!

failing that, its 'broken'. Send it this way, ill take the scrap off your hands. :rolleyes:

Everyone has also forgot you must PURGE any residual C02 in the keg via the pressure release valve.

Without that there willbe too much positive pressure on the lid and it wont go anywhere!

failing that, its 'broken'. Send it this way, ill take the scrap off your hands. :rolleyes:

he says he has released the pressure - just needs to flick the handle and give it a knock with the palm of his hand

nastiness was not my intention hence the reason for answering his question in post 2...just tongue in cheek hence the wink icon. :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers
Steve

Haha all good mate, I just wanted to stop the thread from turning into a point and laugh episode.... :icon_cheers:

he says he has released the pressure - just needs to flick the handle and give it a knock with the palm of his hand

Be smart if i read his thread properly! Well, lets hope he has released the pressure. those old seals are such a b1tch to deal with! on one of my kegs i could fold it in 1/2 and it snapped. i wonder if it was ever replaced. was all blue from blue pepsi or something!

The man's question isn't that silly - when I first got my kegs I too had never seen them used before and spent a while trying to pull the lid out - it was only an "accident" that I pushed the lid in and presto. All my knowledge on gas, snap ons etc has come from these threads and trial and error .. with a lot of error.

No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

While your at it, mark the 'gas in' post near the lid with black texta and the adjacent rim can be marked as well. You always put the lid on the same way (match up the black bits and then when you go to fridge it, no need to squiz for the right post. Gas in and liquid out posts are slightly different. One won't fit t'other.

Enjoy your kegging, best move I ever made.

Dave

l7edwards: if you're still stuck, post up a pick if you can. There are a few different styles and we're kinda guessing...

Back