One For The Coffee Lovers.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchDudarko

Reaction score
Hey!

I have a Moka Pot style stovetop coffee maker, and yesterday morning whilst brewing some coffee, the safety valve did it's job and released a bunch of steam. My question is: Do I need to replace the valve? Or can I keep using it? I made a cup this afternoon, and the valve did vent again but nowhere near as much as it did yesterday.
Bring on Christmas... I think Santa is bringing me a Coffee Siphon :D

Mitch :)

Hey!

I have a Moka Pot style stovetop coffee maker, and yesterday morning whilst brewing some coffee, the safety valve did it's job and released a bunch of steam. My question is: Do I need to replace the valve? Or can I keep using it? I made a cup this afternoon, and the valve did vent again but nowhere near as much as it did yesterday.

It really depends on what brand you have, I had one that reset itself (not sure how that worked) and another where I just bought a new unit. When you get your siphon you wont look back at your moka pot, mine sits on the shelf gathering dust. My siphon makes such good coffee, just get some fresh single origin beans and you will be set!

Yes you can still use it, mokas only cope with about 1.5bar and if you have the coffee packed down really hard they will vent more some times than others.

Cheers

Grant

Hey!

think yourself lucky the valve released the pressure. MINE DIDN'T!!! KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!

What a mess, hot coffee everywhere, across the whole room, across the walls, floors, white curtains, white blinds, white ceiling. Lucky no one was hurt. The pot looked like it had been run over and the clean up took FOREVER :)

think yourself lucky the valve released the pressure. MINE DIDN'T!!! KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!

What a mess, hot coffee everywhere, across the whole room, across the walls, floors, white curtains, white blinds, white ceiling. Lucky no one was hurt. The pot looked like it had been run over and the clean up took FOREVER :)

times that by a few thousand and imagine what happens if pressure relief fails on a big pressure vessel, fermentor, brite tank.
A least a couple people with first hand experience with that here.

First off the relief valve is a simple spring biased "ball in seat" job so when the pressure dropped it would have re-seated itself ready for the next pressure excursion.

I was doing a coffee course week before last and one of the big twin head commercial machines exploded actually one of the heads blew, the grip went across the room and into the wall, hot grounds went everywhere and I'm sure the poor girl at that machine shat herself, no-one was seriously injured though, just some minor burns from hot grounds, very lucky to say the least!

Mine did the same. Put a hole in the ceiling and stained the paint so had to repaint the Kitchen :angry:
Happily the grounds/ water had cooled by the time it had sprayed across the room and got me.

Shit! I'm sticking to brewing in my thongs!... Sounds safer than making coffee

Not all moka pot valves will reseat themselves, bialetti and the more pricey ones do, if it's a cheap one turf it... And wait for your siphon, or get a pour over filter kit from hario etc... Are you people getting explosions tamping down your grounds in the moka pots? They aren't made for that purpose, it's not espresso.

Fill it with water and dont put any coffee into the thing, then pop it on the stove and let it run it's course. This seems to clear out all of the blockages.... I have to do this every once in a while with mine.

I've never packed coffee grounds into it, just put them in the basket loosely and leveled off. It was a cheapie, so i'll probably just get a new one in the new year. Yeah, I can't wait for Saturday so I can get my siphon. I'm thinking of getting a balancing siphon too. I just love the ritual.

The ritual of making coffee with a siphon is great. Try some of the five senses single origin beans, it gives such a clean delicate flavour.

I got a light roast from the coffee company online. Dominican Republic Soliman Organic
From their website:
The rich, smooth, chocolaty Caribbean coffee you love is now even betterits 100% certified organic! Move over Jamaica Blue Mountain. Arguably as good without the price tag. This is a truly enjoyable and versatile coffee that suits all brewing methods.

It's what they suggested

Where's a good place to get siphons from? There's not many different options on ebay.

Www.sorrentinacoffee.com is where I got mine from. Get the butane gas burner if you get one, its worth it.

Yeah, that's the one I got, and it's great. Definitely recommend it. No affiliation etc...

Latest posts

Back