First Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm... Cool! Always got an open ear when it comes to "Water Chemistry". You can ring me before my boil starts anytime. :lol: :blink:

Warren -

My burner is removable so I simply move it before spraying the water on the kettle.

I too try to get things done around the house whilst brewing. One day I got so carried away with "chores" that I was standing in line at Bunnings when I remembered the boil. Lost most of that bacth and the mess was horrendous.

Holy crap Darren! I haven't gone that far but that's a pisser :lol: I would have loved to be standing behind you in the line when you remembered :lol:

And the bloke standing at the door saying "Thanks, have a good day" might have got quite a rude shock as Darren flys past him screaming obsenities :D

Bunnings is a time trap/worm hole, I describe it as not being that dissimilar to the Tardis in Dr. Who, you step inside and it's so big and spacious and there is so much stuff to look at. Looks bigger on the inside than out. You go in and have a look around-just need to grab some screws or something and you walk out with all this stuff you don't need and much time has passed.

Don't leave the wife/girlfriend in the car while you duck in quickly to grab something :huh:

Cheers, Justin

Darren said:
My burner is removable so I simply move it before spraying the water on the kettle.

I too try to get things done around the house whilst brewing. One day I got so carried away with "chores" that I was standing in line at Bunnings when I remembered the boil. Lost most of that bacth and the mess was horrendous.
[post="73548"][/post]​

I too have experienced this phenomenon whilst arguing the effects of the tap water in the coffee with the manager of the local Kofte Bar. It wasn't till he was dishing out the Tahini sauce that the aromas jogged my memory that the second addition was overdue. Didn't the eggplant hit the ceiling after that one.

Fear not Borretus-jihadus. :beerbang:

By the dying breath of Baba Ganoush you shall soon have your own kebab stand. :lol:

What a pide. :p

Warren -

Tidalpete said:
Brisbrew,
What temp did your pre-chiller get your wort down to ? :blink:
How long did it take? :blink:
I got it down to 24C in around 25 minutes. I had a half bag of ice in the freezer and used it from the start of the chilling process, maybe next time I will let the water do its thing first then add the ice and maybe gain a degree or two?

Today I racked my first AG to secondary in a cube and placed that into the second hand (Beer only) fridge I scored yesterday. The gravity was 1008 down from 1042 which I was happy with but it won't be a strong beer. The hops were noticable when I tasted the sample from my hydrometer, maybe they will die back a bit in time.
Will it be Ok in the fridge for 2 weeks at 15C Ambient temp or is this too cold?
I fully intend doing lagers now I have the fridge but thought I might aswell put this beer in there, 15C seems to be the lowest/Warmest temperature on the thermostat.

Brizbrew,

when I rack to my cube I leave at room temp (ie 18 - 24c) & release the cap each morning. Once there is no hiss of gas escaping (1 - 7 days), i put back in fridge to CC at approx 2c....

Ross said:
Brizbrew,

when I rack to my cube I leave at room temp (ie 18 - 24c) & release the cap each morning. Once there is no hiss of gas escaping (1 - 7 days), i put back in fridge to CC at approx 2c....
[post="74188"][/post]​
Up until now I have just kept my cubes under the house at around 18C for a few weeks cracking the seal slightly each day to let excess gas out, I just thought it might be a good idea to use the fridge as it was just sitting there.

At least I can now get good temp control of my primary ferments. :)

Brizbrew said:
Ross said:
Brizbrew,

[post="74188"][/post]​
Up until now I have just kept my cubes under the house at around 18C for a few weeks cracking the seal slightly each day to let excess gas out, I just thought it might be a good idea to use the fridge as it was just sitting there.

At least I can now get good temp control of my primary ferments. :)
[post="74236"][/post]​

I brew mine in temp controlled fridge - but like to warm up in secondary just to make sure all fermentation complete...

My first Ag has been sitting at 18C bang on for two weeks now in a secondary cube, I have been cracking the seal each day and it is still giving a fairly substantial hiss, it is as much now as it was when I first racked from primary.
Is this too long or would it take longer because it was an Ag brew. My last few kit brews only took a week or ten days to completely ferment out in secondary but that was before I had a fridge. they were held at around 20C, could that small temp difference make it take twice as long?

I want to get it in to the bottle soon so as i can taste it but don't want to risk bottle bombs. :blink:

Brizbrew said:
My first Ag has been sitting at 18C bang on for two weeks now in a secondary cube, I have been cracking the seal each day and it is still giving a fairly substantial hiss, it is as much now as it was when I first racked from primary.
Is this too long or would it take longer because it was an Ag brew. My last few kit brews only took a week or ten days to completely ferment out in secondary but that was before I had a fridge. they were held at around 20C, could that small temp difference make it take twice as long?

I want to get it in to the bottle soon so as i can taste it but don't want to risk bottle bombs. :blink:
[post="76531"][/post]​

Brizbrew,

Did you dry hop at all? If you did, this can cause your beer to keep releasing gas.
I reckon it's finished despite the hissing, check your gravity over a few days & see what's happening...

Briz.

If it's down to 1.008 as you stated earlier. Two weeks in secondary at ambient temps will be more than fine. Not enough dextrins left to cause bottle bombs.

I'd just damn the torpedoes and bottle it. :beer:

Warren -

Ok, cheers for that guys.

Ross, I did not use any dry hops, I was worried it might be over hoppy as it was, I still am a bit. I will drink it whatever, first Ag is like my firstborn child. :beerbang:

I will bottle it as soon as I get a chance and get on with my next Ag for the Xmas case. :blink:

Brizbrew said:
Ok, cheers for that guys.

Ross, I did not use any dry hops, I was worried it might be over hoppy as it was, I still am a bit. I will drink it whatever, first Ag is like my firstborn child. :beerbang:

I will bottle it as soon as I get a chance and get on with my next Ag for the Xmas case. :blink:
[post="76657"][/post]​

Brizbrew - It'll be the best you've ever made mate - guarentee it!!! :D

Bottle a few stubbies as well and you see over a period of time how the strong hops will mellow a little and integrate over time.
It's hope it's gonna be an awesome beer.

Latest posts

Back