Old Spot Brewery - Cullingworth, West Yorkshire, Uk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdtnc

Reaction score
The other day I helped make award winning real ale at the 'Old Spot Brewery' in Cullingworth near Keighley.
They have recently Won the Leicester Beer Festival with a Gold for Spot O' Bother which was also a 1st in the Porter/Stout category.
Please check their beers out when you see them :)
http://www.oldspotbrewery.co.uk

The brew is a pretty hoppy and mainly pale malt with some wheat, name yet to be decided.
Chris has a relaxed attitude to brewing and there's nothing complex in his brewing process, knowing his process and customers tastes gives him plenty of room to experiment within his brewing experience in creating new ales.

Here's a Few snaps from today:
The Brewery, Mashtun in front, Boiler back left and HLT's at the right:
4075663736_7253612ddc.jpg

The 2 elements inside the boiler:
4075664278_d2aed305e3.jpg

FV's:
4074909993_e2105b1fee.jpg

FV's being cleaned and sterilised:
4075665330_02f1dfe029.jpg

Sparging, Grains were Optic Malt and Wheat Malt:
4074911115_26cd9d0aa3.jpg

Weighing out the hops, Todays hops were Fuggles for Bittering, Golding, Willamette & Fuggles for flavour/aroma:
4074911703_53b3fb3e22.jpg

Used hops in the boiler:
4075667048_c75933c6df.jpg

I've just drunk a bottle of a dark Mild Chris gave me which is well balanced and chocolaty, another bottle of something light is waiting for after though I forget what he called it. They don't normally bottle their beers as they stick to dealing direct with pubs.

Here's a few things I picked up...
  • I should have a go at fly sparging and it would be a good idea to calibrate my Boiler so I know when to stop sparging.
  • It would be better to run a Microbrewery business with a business partner for sales, delivery and promotion.
  • Also better for it not to be your only source of income, at least while getting a customer base and regular sales.
  • Stay away from large scale and industrial style brewing if you want to keep the brewing enjoyment.
  • Different FV sizes can alter the way your ale tastes, so scaling up a Home brewed beer to a commercial saleable beer might take some further development work.
  • Casks cost a lot of money and having a cask go missing or stolen can wipe out your profit instantly!
  • Get used to stirring the Mash tun with a Shovel not a spoon.
  • Use a Pressure Washer for all your Cleaning down.
  • Brew Beers that your customers like rather than what you like.
  • Sell your product direct rather that through a distribution network so you actually get your casks back.

:)

Was it your recipe scaled up to a Commercial batch, like a pro-am sort of deal, or did you just get to hang out for the day ?
Looks like a fairly uncomplicated brewery, what batch size ?

I Just got to hang out and Help for the day, so it was Chris' recipe, a one-off brew, I think it was about a 5 Barrel Brew though I think their limit is about 7 Barrel due to fermenter size.

:)

Nice work pdtnc. I bet it was a lot of fun.

I got to do a similar thing myself when i was in the UK in 2001. Brewed with a very small micro in Barrowden.
What a top day that was :D

C&B
TDA

yeah, had an excellent day :)
Hope I can do it again sometime.

Back