Old Co2 Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongchitis

Reaction score
G'Day all,

A friend recently moved to a house to find 6 empty 22L food grade CO2 bottles down the side of the house. I said i would come have a look as she heard they might be good for my beer. These things are 160 cm tall and 25 cm diameter, i'll put up a pic if i need to.

When i saw them I took the lot, my only concern is their age. They are in great nik but i am sure they have not been assesed for quite some time.

So the question/s are:

Has anyone rejuvinated an old tank before? What do you need? Costs etc.

Does anyone want one?

They are too big for me so the ultimate goal was to prep then sell.

Cheers for your thoughts...........Bongchitis.

G'Day all,

A friend recently moved to a house to find 6 empty 22L food grade CO2 bottles down the side of the house. I said i would come have a look as she heard they might be good for my beer. These things are 160 cm tall and 25 cm diameter, i'll put up a pic if i need to.

When i saw them I took the lot, my only concern is their age. They are in great nik but i am sure they have not been assesed for quite some time.

So the question/s are:

Has anyone rejuvinated an old tank before? What do you need? Costs etc.

Does anyone want one?

I don't think you'll find any buyers for the bottles,if they are CIG (BOC) or Liquid Air nobody will refill them without an account.
The values my be of interest to fire extinguisher users

Batz

check the dates on the tag on the neck ... they may still be in spec

Does anyone want one?

[/quote]

I am interested in 1 or 2 old CO2 bottles. Let us know the date on the tag, and if there are any owners name on them ie. BOC, Air Liquide, CIG. I am in Melbourne, so I would need an estimate on freight.

Barry

Hey mate, I'd be interested if there's any left you want to get rid of.
I'm in Campbelltown too.

Cool!

Didn't think tere would be much interest. BTW Mods, sorry for being sort of in the wrong forum.

The tags on the neck are cardboard and weathered but I will look more closely for a fix on their age.

They have Air Liquide Stickers on them and all hold pressure at 200Kpa as tested by myself (do you trust me?) for a short time.

The paint is knocked around but the rest is sound.

I will put some pics up tomorrow.

I was thinking pick up only as freight would be a hassle and perhaps a price of $100/tank as is if the reco is going to be difficult.

PM if you are still interested with these details and we can organise something.

Cheers............Bongchitis

Didn't think tere would be much interest. BTW Mods, sorry for being sort of in the wrong forum.

Cheap beer gear = Lots of interest

The tags on the neck are cardboard and weathered but I will look more closely for a fix on their age.

They have Air Liquide Stickers on them and all hold pressure at 200Kpa as tested by myself (do you trust me?) for a short time.

The Date will be stamped into the tank around the neck (just like on a bbq gas bottle)

As for having Air Liquide Stickers... this could make them hard to be refilled.

Anyone know where you would be able to get them filled??

Pok

What happens when a tank goes out of date? Can they be reassessed to get them back into date, or are they disposable?

What happens when a tank goes out of date? Can they be reassessed to get them back into date, or are they disposable?

When commercial cylinders reach their expiry date, usually the cylinder owners will do their own inspection/testing/re-certification and either put them back into service or scrap them. I would think even if you found a privateer type pressure vessel certifier willing to touch a commercial cylinder, the price would be horrorfying enough to turn you off

When commercial cylinders reach their expiry date, usually the cylinder owners will do their own inspection/testing/re-certification and either put them back into service or scrap them. I would think even if you found a privateer type pressure vessel certifier willing to touch a commercial cylinder, the price would be horrorfying enough to turn you off

Yeah, it's a bit of a monopoly.... I'm in the wrong business!

As someone else has already said here on this forum, gas companies in this country are more into the cylinder renting business than they are into the selling of gases. It's a bit of a lurk really, when I was in the game and had a BOC account, we rented our G size oxygen (industrial) cylinders for about $18 a year. Poor old Joe Shmo off the street had to pay about $140 a year.

Latest posts

Back