Old Bar Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrie0069

Reaction score
I just acquired an old bar fridge, which is no longer working (could be broken thermostat or gas problem?). I was thinking of turning it into my mobile party keg transporter, so that I can place a keg inside and cover with ice to keep it cool. I could then have the tap on top of it - be a great talking point at my street party in the park. :super:

Do you think the above is a good idea or would you turn this into something else?

I was thinking of putting 4 wheels and some kind of suspension, as well as a handle to pull it along by. Has anyone done this kind of thing before? If so, I would love to see some pictures for reference when I undertake this project. :D

Cheers,

Morrie

Morrie0069, I remember someone turning a wheelie bin into a mobile keg dispenser, cant find it at the moment. It was pretty much a 2 kegs in the bin covered with ice and 2 taps coming through the side.... nice simple and easy to move.

Edit - Found some pics, post 45

Jye said:
Morrie0069, I remember someone turning a wheelie bin into a mobile keg dispenser, cant find it at the moment. It was pretty much a 2 kegs in the bin covered with ice and 2 taps coming through the side.... nice simple and easy to move.
[post="113770"][/post]​

You mean this? Its a bit lighter to move than a fridge, and has the wheels and handle already.

wheely_keg_1.jpg

With 2 full kegs its still heavy and can get bogged in soft sand. Insulation would be better in a fridge, but mobility more an issue.

wheely_keg_3.jpg

Another option would be to rip the motor out (all safety precautions onserved) lay it on its back, mount 4 roller wheels and remove the internal shelves and you have a mobile esky in your yard for BBQ's

bighanno said:
Another option would be to rip the motor out (all safety precautions onserved) lay it on its back, mount 4 roller wheels and remove the internal shelves and you have a mobile esky in your yard for BBQ's
[post="119176"][/post]​

I did that with an old 50s fridge. Added some red paint and a stencil. It works well, and certainly makes those old fridges way lighter when you pull the compressor out. But, the main problem is the back of the fridge which is now the base of the esky is usually not sealed, so as the ice melts you lose the water, and you can go through a lot of ice.

fleury_cola.jpg

Back