Oktoberfest - Marzen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionman

Reaction score
Thinking of doing an Oktoberfest like beer.

23L
3Kg Pilsner
1.2KG Munich 1
1.2Kg Vienna

25g Perle FWH
10g Perle Cube

5.9% ABV
27 IBU
6.2 SRM

I'm going for Perle as I have some in the fridge, understanding that Hallertau is probably more traditional?

Now for yeast. There are a few interesting looking german yeasts around (eg WLP830) including specifically labeled Marzen strains (WLP820).

What about doing an ale though? Can I just use WLP001 or 090, will I really be missing out not doing a lagar at 12c?

Main reason for going the ale route is that it means I can ferment it along side an IPA.

Anything else look off?

Cheers

Last edited:
Re: yeast, have you considered using S-189 from Fermentis or Mangrove Jack's California Lager?
Both operate happily & cleanly at 18*C and produce good lagers - well, the S-189 certainly does as I've used it several times between 14-18*C.
That way you get to use a lager strain appropriate for a lager-style, and keep your fermentation fridge at 17-18*C.
I'm coincidentally 1 week into lagering a Marzen using S-189 at 17*C.
The ale yeast would sort of suffice, as in you'll be 90%-ish there, but the drier finish you should get with a lager strain can make a big difference in offsetting the massive maltiness you hopefully get in a Marzen. Having said that, it'll also depend on how you design the beer - eg: low & long sacch step to help dry it out, bit lighter on some malts, slightly higher bitterness, etc - should all go to partially mimicking the lager effect. You could have a gander at some of the faux lager threads to get ideas of what to do. Another is ferment at a low temp, like 15-16 with Notto, etc; but that's contrary to your original parameters [emoji6]
Good luck and report back how it pans out!

Less pils, more munich. I wouldn't cube hop, these beers do well with minimal hopping.

Thanks for responses guys.

I brewed this last night and pitched today.

Grain bill was as listed. I mashed at 64 for 90mins to hopefully keep it dry on the dryer side.

I discovered my Perle is only 4% AA so doubled the servings as my software listed it as 8%. Always good to double check!

50g FHW
20g 15mins

No cube additions.

I used WLP090 as I had some on hand, harvested and washed from a previous brew. I do want to try S189 but I didn't have any and couldn't get to the shop today. I'll grab a few packs and keep in the fridge for next time. Need to broaden my yeast supplies. I love IPAs so I only have cali style ale yeasts usually. I want to get more experience brewing other styles though.

I had a great Marzen at Elmer's in the Swan Valley last Oktoberfest and have been wanting to brew one since. I'll build on this brew, definitely do a more traditional one next time.

I'll report back on how it goes.

Isn't 009 the coopers strain or close to?
Tasty beer yes, marzen inspired yes, marzen no.

Doesn't matter if you don't mind - just manage expectations.

^misread 090 for 009.

Point remains though - yeast is such an important part of what makes a beer like marzen.

Yeah definitely just inspired by. I might have to get some German strains to play with a get something closer to style.

Had a bit of an accident with the brew fridge and found this batch sitting at 26c. Woops. Pretty sure it's heading to the lawn... It's finished fermenting by the looks, sitting at 1.011 and tasting a little funky. I will keg it though just to be sure.

Back