oka

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropico

Reaction score
"Oka", aka Samoan Raw Fish.

Take some fish flesh, diced into 1 cm cubes, no skin, sinew or fat. 1st choice is "Sushi" quality pink tuna, followed in descending order snapper, queen fish, mackerel and mullet.

Coat generously with lime juice, and allow to sit for 10-20 minutes until fish starts to turn white. You could also use lemon juice, but in my opinion, its like using mullet. I have also been served this recipe made with kumquat juice, very similar and a little sweeter, a nice twist on the traditional recipe.

Don't let the tuna cure too long and overcook, add a generous amount of coconut cream (not milk) fresh is best but canned is really the only option here in Oz.

Add a little salt, diced tomato, peeled and de-seeded cucumber, spring onion and freshly cracked black pepper (optional). Also optional is chilli , however, this is a modern variation on the traditional recipe.

Chill to very cold in the fridge for a couple of hours.

On a really hot and humid day this goes down very nicely with beer.

My Maori mate makes this and insists on having it on fresh white bread with butter. Which is beautiful imo.
In saying this he has a massive family and the bread would have been to make it go further.

Also very similar to a south American ceveche. Although ceveche doesn't have the coconut cream. And chilli is not optional.

Sounds delicious.
If it didn't mean I'd possibly develop scurvy, I'd happily eat raw, fresh tuna for every meal.

Isn't that what Tom Hanks lived on in "Castaway"?

Tom was better at catching fish than saving Wilson.

wilson-im-sorry.jpg

Back