Off the shelf go-to beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mall

Reaction score
Hi all, interested in what you buy when you need variety...

My choices:
- Sierra Nevada PA
- Brooklyn Lager
- Anchor Steam
- Red Trolley Ale

All exy but given the savings from brewing your own, well worth it.

1474184976795.jpg

I like coopers pale and dark ale $45 a carton. Good session beers. Also yenda pale ale when it's under $50 is good to. I can't justify paying anymore for a carton when I can brew it for much less. I'd rather drink my beer than buy beer. I only buy beer when I'm going to a party and I want to take disposable bottles otherwise I take my own. I'm lucky to buy a carton every few months as I'm self sufficient. But I do call in to some bottlos and get 2 or 3 beer tester tasters quite regularly.

Gage Roads Atomic Pale Ale. Under $50 at dans and that seems like good value to me for a couch quaffer, never been a huge fan of coopers pale. Still new to home brewing but the plan is not have to buy commerci beer at all!

OeTTINGER PILS otherwise a 6 pack of something not owned by Coles Woolies or some other big brand trying to pass off their brands as craftbeer.

rodenbach vintage/ schlenkerla rauchbier /schofferhoffer hef/chimay blue/camping beer is aldi st ettienne

I have two types of beer purchases
- cheap, like the $10/$12 6pack deals (Squires, Fat Yak etc). Acceptable cheap stuff generally
- expensive and one off randoms, predominantly ones I havent tried before from Warners at the Bay. Often more like $10/$12 for 2 (or more)

anything in the middle I cant justify compared to DIY :)

Used to be Furphys but I swear they're different to when they first came out. Don't like them as much anymore.
Mountain Goat steam & Pale ale seems to be tickling my 'go to' fancy atm.

A lot of folks crap on it, but I like the Two Birds Sunset Ale as a cheapish go-to. Holgate's Road Trip IPA is another good one.

Flash_DG said:
OeTTINGER PILS otherwise a 6 pack of something not owned by Coles Woolies or some other big brand trying to pass off their brands as craftbeer.
Me too. Although always second best to home brew.
Added:
Australian Brewers Pale Ale all Galaxy hops I think. (Thin green cans in a 4 pack)
White Rabbit Dark Ale
Coopers are always acceptable

Anyone tried Sydney Brewery Pyrmont Rye IPA? I think it's exclusive to dan murphys, internet order only. Had read pretty decent reviews on another forum and tried to order a few times as they were offering free shipping but the payment screen kept timing out so I got the shits and gave up.

anything for cheap at dan's i haven't tried before.

I've been enjoying Fixation IPA lately though

Cooper's Sparkling Ale is my safety blanket beer when choice is limited.

Guinness cans at the moment

Likely to change as the weather warms

Cheers

ScottyDoesntKnow said:
Anyone tried Sydney Brewery Pyrmont Rye IPA? I think it's exclusive to dan murphys, internet order only. Had read pretty decent reviews on another forum and tried to order a few times as they were offering free shipping but the payment screen kept timing out so I got the shits and gave up.
They were at warners at the Bay bottleshop on Friday and I gave it a try..
Was pretty good and at $14/4 pack it's pretty cheap

3.50 a stubby, taking into account brewing, excise, bottling, labelling, packaging, distribution plus retailers margin is about where it's at. The big boys can do it for less by sheer volume.

Adnams Broadside

Latest posts

Back