Obsession Or Hobby?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does brewing control you or do you control brewing?

• Hobby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Obsession

• Job

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pete2501

Reaction score
I've been pretty busy lately and this has had me question how important things are so I can manage my time better.

It all started when I began wondering if brewing was a hobby or an obsession.

Now by definition a hobby is an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation. This is the category I fall into so far. I like brewing but it's not my job so surely it's a hobby?

Lightbulb! I've realised just how much time I spend reading about hops, grain, yeast, mashing, ways to mash, different ingredients, beer history and so on. I'm studying for my networking career and even still it's a close first as to what's thought about and practised more.

Now I'm a pretty over zealous kinda guy. Once I have a plan set in my head at times I won't change it. Even to the detriment of myself. I enjoy brewing but some times I don't have control over how much I talk, think and research.

I'm sure most brewers on a whole will find brewing is a Hobby, and for those like me it's an obsession the other half deals with.

Does brewing control you or do you control brewing?

keeps me awake at night sometimes thinking what to brew next.

keeps me awake at night sometimes thinking what to brew next.

Waiting for grains etc to come for my Fat Yak clone. I have been pacing around in high anticipation and finger tapping like crazy. Dreamt last night that after everthing was brewed I tipped it into my fermentor only to see I didn't put the tap in.
I think they classify that as a nightmare.

OBSESSION!!! :chug:

I've been from hobby, to obsession, and now back to hobby. I'm much happier here.

I still believe it is a hobby which takes up most of my spare time.
If im not out in the mancave, Im inside on the computer reading the forums or planning my next brew.
My wife calls me obsessed, so maybe it is an obsession.

Gregor

I seem to devote a lot of time to thinking about recipes, reading and replying on here, checking the temps of the brews I have going, washing bottles, thinking about grain stocks, yeast stocks, test tubes and stoppers and how to avoid infections so I'd say it's a um...................

hobby?

I once saw quote which said roughly "A hobby is a pursuit carried out with a zeal that outweighs its real importance."

I spend most of my time making beer and drinking beer. The rest of the time in am unconscious. B)

brewing beer is my hobby

drinking beer is definately an obsession :lol:

Good to hear, Barry. So brewing is a hobby for me. Phew! ;)

I dont brew that often but im always reading about it so,
Hobby fast approaching obsession

I spend more time thinking about it than I should.

My prettier half would give a quite clear answer to that question...

:blink:

Bjorn

poll is a trap,

'hobby' is just an obsession thats socially acceptable. :p

A hobby that is my obsession...

More an obsession, every time I look at a stockpot I am thinking about its capacity and how I could use it in the brewery etc.....

Gavo.

Back