Oatmeal Stout issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilkensone

Reaction score
Well this is the first real issue I've run into on my 4th AG brew.

I put down an oatmeal stout from brewing classic styles: ended up mashing at about 68 and missed my OG targets getting 1.048 instead of 1.058. Its been fermenting with S04 for 9 days in my fermenting fridge at about 15-18 degrees as I don't have a heat belt. The gravity seems to have stalled at about 1.018 for the past couple of days.. I had a taste and it seems okay if too sweet and would put the ABV at 3.7%..

Should I;
- add some dme to increase the abv
- pitch some new yeast to try push the gravity a bit lower
- stop worrying and leave it?

Cheers

How much oatmeal..

Stout has a nasty habbit of finishing high.

I wouldnt add any dme.

I would bottle a few and let it sit for 6mnths.

Stouts are known for slow fermentaion in the final stages due to the high amount of complex sugars the yeast has to chew thru.

This is why you should under carb stouts in bottles

Wow. Topical. I was just blowing a bit of sunshine up DBSs backside via PM about his very nice "Pillar of Stout" recipe. Seems to me that he knows his stout.

God this is good….

Ducatiboy stu said:
How much oatmeal..

Stout has a nasty habbit of finishing high.

I wouldnt add any dme.

I would bottle a few and let it sit for 6mnths.

Stouts are known for slow fermentaion in the final stages due to the high amount of complex sugars the yeast has to chew thru.

This is why you should under carb stouts in bottles
Was 7.2% flaked oats, I don't bottle so should I transfer it to a keg and leave it at ambient?

I wonder that maybe if I fermented it a little on the cool side it may also have been slow to ferment anyway.

So keg it at leave it awhile?

I would leave it in the ferm, raise the tamp and give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I would leave it in the ferm, raise the tamp and give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast.
ambient is about 18 degrees and I don't have a heatpad yet (didn't think I'd need it in Perth tbh) do you think that might still be too low?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401267905.512110.jpg

This is the recipe and used S04 which I rehydrated for about half an hour on the stir plate

Wilkens

18* is good.

Give it a gentle stir making sure you scrape the yeast up from the bottom

I would be trying to raise the temp. A desk lamp in a closed area will help. I think your biggest issue is with missing your OG with such a high mash temp, oatmeal stouts will tend to finish high due to the amount of roast, choc and black malts combined with the oats. Although it may end higher than expected and be less alc it should still be tasty.

Cheers

S04 can be a little lazy in the finish. 18 is good but give it a swirl and if that doesn't work, won't hurt to raise the temp a little.

Having a look at that recipe I would say you should end up with a nice dark ale (tooheys old)

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Brad are you saying it will be similar to tooheys because of the sweeter/low abv finish (i've not had it before)

I'm not sure if I can fit a lamp in my bar fridge but I will try, otherwise any other heating up advice?

It's a bummer, beer seemed really nice aside from the low OG :unsure:

Where abouts are you based. Could always take it out of the fridge for a couple of days before crash chilling.

Wilkensone said:
Brad are you saying it will be similar to tooheys because of the sweeter/low abv finish (i've not had it before)
More because of the recipe + OG/FG. Your mash temp will actually help with the balance now. Don't stress, it'll be a nice beer.

Tooheys Old is actually a nice beer.

I acually managed to brew a clone using the actuall choc malt from the JW malthouse in Tamworth made esp for Tooheys. Dont ask...I was only given 500gms...

But it was a cracker.

lukiferj said:
Where abouts are you based. Could always take it out of the fridge for a couple of days before crash chilling.
I'm in Perth, would it be worth taking out out of the fridge (which isn't heating or cooling at the moment :p) and just place a desk lamp next to it for awhile after rousing the yeast?

bradsbrew said:
More because of the recipe + OG/FG. Your mash temp will actually help with the balance now. Don't stress, it'll be a nice beer.
I'm still learning so forgive me but was the recipe not that good? also did I mash too high for the style?

Thanks

For an oatmeal stout you need to counter the oatmeal with roast and chocolate. I was taught that early by browndog at a babbs meeting what I thought was a stout was an old/dark ale to him, I took his advice an upped the roast and oats. Picked up a second in the Aussie comp.

bradsbrew said:
For an oatmeal stout you need to counter the oatmeal with roast and chocolate. I was taught that early by browndog at a babbs meeting what I thought was a stout was an old/dark ale to him, I took his advice an upped the roast and oats. Picked up a second in the Aussie comp.
Okay that is interesting, I got the recipe from brewing classic styles haha.. so I have about 7% oats, would you up to about 14% chocolate and roast combined?

Latest posts

Back