Nzbeer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Vas - Are you on realbeer?

And is Epic available in Aussie yet?

Nope I'm not on realbeer only got time for one forum

No idea if Epic is available in Aussie yet, easy to come by in Wellington!

Nope I'm not on realbeer only got time for one forum

Should come on over some time and chat with some local brewers :)

These aussies are good for their info :p , but its not like you can have a beer with anyone on here ;) unless you cross the ditch of course...

Was in NZ on the weekend and got through a couple of beers

Steinlager - On the plane over - Avoid this one
Speights Pale Ale - Nothing special
Macs Brewery Sassy Red Best Bitter - This was quite drinkable
Macs Brewery Hop Rocker Pilsener - Hops not as pronounced as you'd expect for a hop rocker and a little thin
Emersons 1812 IPA - This was a pretty good IPA
Twisted Thistle IPA - Not a NZ beer but picked it up as it looked interesting - Another good IPA
Emersons Old 95 - This beer was more awesome - will definitly try and make something similar

All the Galbraith beers were most awesome
Bitter
Best Bitter
Bitter & Twisted
Porter
Resurrection Trappist-Style Ale

Croucher APA - An excellent APA

Shakespeare Brew Pub
Raspberry Weiss - Very little raspberry, bit of a non event
King Lear Old Ale - Not sure about this one - something wasn't working
Puck's Pixil(l)ation 11.1% - This beer was intense - almost like a dessert wine - picked up some burnt candy sugar though

Harringtons Big John Special Reserve - This beer was really good
Renaissance - Discovery American Pale Ale - Another good APA
Renaissance - Stonecutter Scotch Ale - Pretty good beer

Cheers

Was in NZ on the weekend and got through a couple of beers

Steinlager - On the plane over - Avoid this one
Speights Pale Ale - Nothing special
Macs Brewery Sassy Red Best Bitter - This was quite drinkable
Macs Brewery Hop Rocker Pilsener - Hops not as pronounced as you'd expect for a hop rocker and a little thin
Emersons 1812 IPA - This was a pretty good IPA
Twisted Thistle IPA - Not a NZ beer but picked it up as it looked interesting - Another good IPA
Emersons Old 95 - This beer was more awesome - will definitly try and make something similar

All the Galbraith beers were most awesome
Bitter
Best Bitter
Bitter & Twisted
Porter
Resurrection Trappist-Style Ale

Croucher APA - An excellent APA

Shakespeare Brew Pub
Raspberry Weiss - Very little raspberry, bit of a non event
King Lear Old Ale - Not sure about this one - something wasn't working
Puck's Pixil(l)ation 11.1% - This beer was intense - almost like a dessert wine - picked up some burnt candy sugar though

Renaissance - Discovery American Pale Ale - Another good APA
Renaissance - Stonecutter Scotch Ale - Pretty good beer

Cheers

I still havnt got out to shakespear brew pub, mainly cos I havnt heard good things about it.. A shame you didnt get out to www.hallertau.co.nz which would be my fave micro in Auckland

keep an eye out for a beer called "three boys" indian pale ale. The best one I had when I was there, and one of the best I've had.

keep an eye out for a beer called "three boys" indian pale ale. The best one I had when I was there, and one of the best I've had.

:lol: Must have been one of the good ones! Thats the most inconsistent batch in NZ I reckon, had it on tap once and loved it, went down the road the next day and got a couple of riggers filled and it was horrendous! It changes so much batch to batch

Three boys porter is the best porter I've ever had. I heard a rumour that the guy who runs Cookie in Melbourne, is working on getting them into Aus. As far as I know, you can't get any of their stuff here right now.

FWIW IMO the NZ micro scene, pound for pound, easily beats the Aussie scene.

FWIW IMO the NZ micro scene, pound for pound, easily beats the Aussie scene.

+1 :rolleyes: :p

When I was in QLD recently i tried various micro brews, apart from the beers up at Tamborine which were awesome, all the ones I got at Dans werent really stand out apart from maybe 1 or 2...

I guess due to having more micro's you just need to look harder to find the good ones?

Had a bottle of this last week. Bought it back from NZ in March. I thought it was a nice effort :) My fave of Harringtons would have been their Wobbly Boot Porter. The Dopplebock was rubbish IMO.

All in all I thought NZ rocked for beers (we only visited the south island). Most bars we visited had at least one decent beer on tap.
I didn't think too much of the Speights Draught, but we visited their Ale House in ChCh & Greymouth, & really enjoyed their Porter (seasonal I think it was) & the Pilsner. Food was decent too. Their Summit (Lager?) was on tap in most bars we visited, & I didn't mind it for a session (better than Macs Gold I thought).. I tried it in the bottle before leaving but wasn't too impressed.
Twisted hop beers were OK. Maybe a little too green for my liking... but their beer selection, bar, & pizza, we're awesome.
Loved most of the Emmersons beers I tried. The Bookbinder was a standout - plenty of flavour for a mid (?) strength.
Tried most of the Macs beers, but was not overly impressed... still all good beers though.
Did the brewery tour at Monteiths & didn't really like much of what they had to offer (thought the beers at the Speights Alehouse were better). I did however like the Black.
Tried the 3 boys IPA & Pils, both fairly decent efforts, but I preferred the IPA.

One brewery I was really impressed by was Founders - http://www.biobrew.co.nz/ourproducts.php
I don't really get too fussed over the whole 'organic' business, but I loved the Red, Black, & Fair Maiden :icon_drool2: not overly big or special beers, but they nailed it in the flavour dept IMO.

Can't wait to head back :D

If your going to go to the Speights tour make sure you get the last one of the day, think it is around 7pm. I did that one, at the end they gave us free run of the bar for 30 mins or so, came away well tipsy after that!

I had a flying visit to NZ a few weeks ago. All the NZ beers I tasted had a smokey taste. Is this common to many NZ beers?

I had a flying visit to NZ a few weeks ago. All the NZ beers I tasted had a smokey taste. Is this common to many NZ beers?

Not 2 sure about a smoky taste?? Allthough ive noticed alot of NZ beers are more bitter (in general) than aussie beers, this may be why?

If any of you blokes come to Auckland in the future, flick us a PM and catch up for a beer :icon_cheers: We have 3 pretty decent micro's in Auckland, and plenty of craft beer on offer!

I guess due to having more micro's you just need to look harder to find the good ones?

Per capita, we dont have many here.
Hows the taxes compare for NZ micro`s compared with our antiquated system.
If we didnt have to charge $4+ for a serving takeaway or $7+ eatin we may well have kept up with countries around the world instead being known only for Fosters and VB.
One day......... hmmmmm Kirin, Kirin, Kirin.

If your going to go to the Speights tour make sure you get the last one of the day, think it is around 7pm. I did that one, at the end they gave us free run of the bar for 30 mins or so, came away well tipsy after that!

Ditto.
The guide poured the first three and after that it was open slather. I did the tour on the weekend when they don't brew so we were able to get up close and personal with all the big shiny stuff.
Go for the tour and 3 course meal deal. Well worth it.

Campbell

Per capita, we dont have many here.
Hows the taxes compare for NZ micro`s compared with our antiquated system.
If we didnt have to charge $4+ for a serving takeaway or $7+ eatin we may well have kept up with countries around the world instead being known only for Fosters and VB.
One day......... hmmmmm Kirin, Kirin, Kirin.

$4 take away for a craft beer is good mate, we pay between $6-$17 for a takeaway craft beer, allthough most of em are in 500ml bottles, stubbys seem common over in Aus...

In saying that tho, tis not that much more expensive to drink craft beer at a pub, most of the time its around the $8 a pint mark, allthough it does creep up to say $12 a pint depending on where you go and what you want...

+1 :rolleyes: :p

When I was in QLD recently i tried various micro brews, apart from the beers up at Tamborine which were awesome, all the ones I got at Dans werent really stand out apart from maybe 1 or 2...

Had a really good NZ beer last night. A Baltic Porter, crafted by our very own Reviled, was as good as or better in some cases that what we had at Mt Tamborine.

Screwy

Had a really good NZ beer last night. A Baltic Porter, crafted by our very own Reviled, was as good as or better in some cases that what we had at Mt Tamborine.

Screwy

:rolleyes: Aww shucks mate, youll have me blushing lol

Cheers for the feedback ;) Much appreciated!

:rolleyes: Aww shucks mate, youll have me blushing lol

Cheers for the feedback ;) Much appreciated!

Hey reviled you still haven't told us how much port to put in a port stout. Should I whack in a whole bottle of, say, Penfolds Club?

Hey reviled you still haven't told us how much port to put in a port stout. Should I whack in a whole bottle of, say, Penfolds Club?

I used 500mls of Penfolds Club Tawny Port in 20 litres, but I dont think 750mls would be overdoing it... I oak aged mine on 20gms of oak for 31 days, but would be interested to know what its like without the oak...

Would you like me to PM the recipe??