Nzbeer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LethalCorpse

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm in Dunedin this week for a mate's wedding on Saturday. We've been out to a different pub/brewery/restaurant every night, and I've thus far gone from one interesting beer to another. Seems microbreweries have taken off down here more than at home. Highlights would be the speights brewery, for a top meal and half a dozen great beers on tap. Another is emersons - the Old 95 is a rich malty English ale, and the london porter, particularly off the hand-pump I had it tonight, is smooth caramelly goodness. Also had a beer the other night called a hop rocker, which isn't a huge hoppy beer by crazy american standards, but nice strong hallertauer aroma and flavour for the masses. Steinlager is the equivalent of our megaswill, but even it is quite drinkable. I wouldn't know how to find a crap beer if I wanted to. Anyone else got good beer to mention from over this way?
-LC

Well, if you really are having trouble finding crap beer, try:

Lion Brown
Lion Red
Rheineck
DB export dry
etc

Hi folks,
I'm in Dunedin this week for a mate's wedding on Saturday. We've been out to a different pub/brewery/restaurant every night, and I've thus far gone from one interesting beer to another. Seems microbreweries have taken off down here more than at home. Highlights would be the speights brewery, for a top meal and half a dozen great beers on tap. Another is emersons - the Old 95 is a rich malty English ale, and the london porter, particularly off the hand-pump I had it tonight, is smooth caramelly goodness. Also had a beer the other night called a hop rocker, which isn't a huge hoppy beer by crazy american standards, but nice strong hallertauer aroma and flavour for the masses. Steinlager is the equivalent of our megaswill, but even it is quite drinkable. I wouldn't know how to find a crap beer if I wanted to. Anyone else got good beer to mention from over this way?
-LC
LC,

I want to check out the Monteiths Brewery when I go to NZ (west coast). I think it's bit out from the main city centres, but worth a visit.

EDIT: Monteiths Brewing Co‎ - 60 Herbert Street, Greymouth, West Coast 7805, New Zealand - (03) 768 4149‎
It's probably too far from Dunedin :huh:

Let me know how the Black tastes on tap if you go.

PB :rolleyes:

Well, if you really are having trouble finding crap beer, try:

Rheineck

Geez, I don't think they have made that for nearly 15 years.
Showing our age aren't we GL :p
I remember brushing my teeth in the morning with it (or was that Joseph Kutz ?? ) :p

Doc

Ahhh.. Joseph Kutze, another fine example of what I dont drink any more but used to think was great!

LC,

I want to check out the Monteiths Brewery when I go to NZ (west coast). I think it's bit out from the main city centres, but worth a visit.

EDIT: Monteiths Brewing Co‎ - 60 Herbert Street, Greymouth, West Coast 7805, New Zealand - (03) 768 4149‎
It's probably too far from Dunedin :huh:

Let me know how the Black tastes on tap if you go.

PB :rolleyes:
Gotta say, i'm not hugely knowledgeable on NZ beers, but Monteiths probably arn't the best recommendation. And are probably half the reason I thought, at one point anyway, all NZ beers were watery and bland.
As far as bigger-name NZ brewers that I know go, you can't go wrong with Emeron's and Moa. Dunno about availablity, but both of them produce a good variety and quality of beers!

I've steered clear of the monteith's black for precisely the watery reason, but they do a thing called mongatanoka dark which is exceptional

Geez, I don't think they have made that for nearly 15 years.
Showing our age aren't we GL :p
I remember brushing my teeth in the morning with it (or was that Joseph Kutz ?? ) :p

Doc

Sad to say I still see Rheineck in the supermarkets from time to time :lol: And yeah, Montheiths is good swill, but not premium imo...

But other good NZ beers would be Renaissance (my fave) they do an awesome Pale ale and a Scotch Ale, their London Porter is tops too, as well as their APA, theyre based in Blenheim but you should be able to find in some bottle shops...

Go to the Green Man brewery in dunedin, theyre an organic brewery and you can fill your own riggers there for bugger all, their Strong is my fave its a blend of a whiskey bock and best bitter...

Also another beer ive tried more recently was one of the three boys range, another small brewery from Christchurch, their IPA is pretty decent, but I hear their Porter is a bit bland tho...

I think theres another beer called Yeastie Boys which has just come out also... But im sure that will give you something to do for a few days :icon_cheers:

Tui.

This is a travesty in fluid form.

My local bottlo stocks this and they had the hide to say they didn't stock Barons ESB because it wasn't popular!

Emersons do an Oatmeal Stout which I have always been rather partial to... comes in a pint sized bottle, never had the opportunity to try it on tap though. On my list of places to visit at some point.

Cheers,

Brendo

If you can find a Wigram Breweries bottle on your visit, I am partial to their vienna lager and propeller lager. Hell I'm partial to just about all their brews!

montieths is a good brewery tour still got pics on pc have to post one day also i do not like spieghts gold medal ale

Tui.

This is a travesty in fluid form.

My local bottlo stocks this and they had the hide to say they didn't stock Barons ESB because it wasn't popular!

Bahahaha, I can remember many nights of me and a mate sitting on the balcony drinking Tui as it was cheaper than Carlton Draught, naturally all conversation during that session had to have a dodgy kiwi accent, wouldn't have been right otherwise....

Back on topic, I am quite partial to the Montieths range, they were my prefered drop prior to starting to brew and I still don't mind grabbing a six pack here or there, plus the bottles are crown seals, bonus!!!! :D

But other good NZ beers would be Renaissance (my fave) they do an awesome Pale ale and a Scotch Ale, their London Porter is tops too, as well as their APA, theyre based in Blenheim but you should be able to find in some bottle shops...

I just did a trip to Purvis cellars a couple of days ago. Came back with a mixed 6 pack and the first one we opened was the Renaissance Pale Ale. It was fantastic. Everything it claimed to be on the label. Toffee sweet malt and refreshing hops. Subdued fuggles taste. Very yum!

I also got a wigram Hefeweizen. Very boring. Very bland. The only thing it had over my fruity hefe HWMBO is drinking at the moment is its head sustained longer. :lol:

Having done Nz, we've got England and belgium to go. Someone's gotta do it!

I just did a trip to Purvis cellars a couple of days ago. Came back with a mixed 6 pack and the first one we opened was the Renaissance Pale Ale. It was fantastic. Everything it claimed to be on the label. Toffee sweet malt and refreshing hops. Subdued fuggles taste. Very yum!

I also got a wigram Hefeweizen. Very boring. Very bland. The only thing it had over my fruity hefe HWMBO is drinking at the moment is its head sustained longer. :lol:

Having done Nz, we've got England and belgium to go. Someone's gotta do it!

Renaissance Perfection English Pale Ale :icon_drool2: :wub: So damn tasty! If youre close to this Purvis cellars I suggest you go and get a taste ;)

Wigram - They have some great beers but they also have alot of variance problems! I tried their Vienna Lager a while back which I didnt quite fancy, it was a dark brown and tasted like burnt toast - I thought nothing of it untill I went to the NZ Beer festival and they were serving it there, and it was a pale lager like colour and was tasting bloody awesome!!! God knows what happened to the one I tried?

Awesome beers that haven't been mentioned yet are the Epic Brewery's Pale Ale and Lager or anything by the Tuatara Brewery particularly the Hefe. Down South you must try Emerson's Bookbinder, the Wigram brews are pretty decent also. Moa beers from my wife's hometown are also superb.

FYI there is a boycott of Monteiths products on at the moment. Long story short they are owned by DB, and somehow managed to trademark the term Radler in NZ (some oxymoron at the intellectual property office was responsible for this slip up, obviously never heard of the interweb). DB/Monteiths then used their expensive lawyers to heavy the Green Man Brewery into not using the term Radler on their true to style Radler. Monteiths Radler is basically their golden with lemon/lime flavouring added as far as I can tell. It's about as far from the Radler style beers I've had in Southern Germany as you could get, but that's the power of big corporations for you :( . Now DB are the only ones who can use the name Radler in NZ which means no imports of Radler style beers into NZ either.

Awesome beers that haven't been mentioned yet are the Epic Brewery's Pale Ale and Lager or anything by the Tuatara Brewery particularly the Hefe. Down South you must try Emerson's Bookbinder, the Wigram brews are pretty decent also. Moa beers from my wife's hometown are also superb.

FYI there is a boycott of Monteiths products on at the moment. Long story short they are owned by DB, and somehow managed to trademark the term Radler in NZ (some oxymoron at the intellectual property office was responsible for this slip up, obviously never heard of the interweb). DB/Monteiths then used their expensive lawyers to heavy the Green Man Brewery into not using the term Radler on their true to style Radler. Monteiths Radler is basically their golden with lemon/lime flavouring added as far as I can tell. It's about as far from the Radler style beers I've had in Southern Germany as you could get, but that's the power of big corporations for you :( . Now DB are the only ones who can use the name Radler in NZ which means no imports of Radler style beers into NZ either.

G'day Vas - Are you on realbeer?

And is Epic available in Aussie yet?