Nsw Xmas 2010 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. 9 Redbeard's Kellerbier 05.12.10

As the wiki says, low carb and bitter. Very accurate.

Bottle opens with a very slight fst and pours a clear, light copper into my glass, foamy head receding rapidly. Aroma carries a nice waft of noble hop and some sweet malt in the background. Mouthfeel - while relatively still, enhances the soft malty flavour (which on further sips are quite complex, graham cracker and lightly toasted bread,) while bitterness is accentuated on a prolonged finish with subtle piny flavours. Nice beer Craig!

I've never had a Kellerbier before, but I'm really enjoying this. What is the yeast? And the recipe?

cheers

grant

Kellerbier based on recipe from byo 959

Wort Volume Before Boil: 23.00 l
Expected OG: 1.058 SG
Expected FG: 1.016 SG
Expected ABV: 5.6 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 43.0 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 7.5 SRM

Australian Export Pilsner 3.300 kg 64.7 %
German Munich 1.500 kg 29.4 %
German Rye 0.200 kg 3.9 %
Australian Dark Crystal 0.100 kg 2.0 %

German Hallertauer Mittlefruh 5.0 % 50 g 60min
German Hallertauer Mittlefruh 5.0 % 50 g 15min

White Labs WLP838-Southern German Lager
Fermentation Temperature: 10 degC

just tried a bottle of mine the carbs there but could be a little more. the flavour is right where i want it, fatz and bjorn i think you will both like this beer.

ok, time for my first case swap beer.
(Just read that bit from Barls about liking his beer, so guessing it is some kind of fruity-belgian-weird-beer-with-cherries-and-little-striped-kneesocks-on but will leave that for later)

3. nifty - Some sort of Pilsner - 5.3% - Wyeast 2124 - bottled 17/10/2010 - Ready to drink.

Good head, big and fluffy white, tight head. Dies down to a foam ring that stays while finishing the glass.
Clean smell, a touch of sweetness.
Full body, sweet and well-rounded. Saaz tones, I always get a bit of sweetness from Saaz, maybe it's just me still worrying about what Barl's case swap beer will be like.
Very clear, can read the date of my watch through the glass.
Continuous stream of bubbles going through the beer, looks great to be honest.
Not a lot of hop aroma, but definetly there.
A touch of esters and a clean, dry finish.
Malty, clean pilsner flavour with a touch of sweetness without being cloey. I really like it.

A very nice beer. I would pay for this at the pub and be happy.

I drank one of my lagers today, tastes horribly of bananas. Read of it, first time I have tasted it.
By the looks of things I should get the recipe from Nifty.

Great beer mate, so happy it was the first case swap beer I tried!!

:D

thanks
Bjorn

No.24 Johnny Anchovy's, Lucky Dip - I got the AIPA

Pours well, rocky foam stand, lacing the glass as it descends, copper body, slight haze. Aroma of fresh c hops but you can sense some serious bittering in there, mouthfeel is smooth, some spikiness, rich and slightly resiny.

Flavour is well defined, balanced malt and hop aroma on the first sip but then the hops take over and carry you through to a bitter finish with the aroma hops coming along for the ride carrying a good malt memory. As it warms in the glass it just gets better - I am very impressed. This is a great beer, good recipe well made.

I would like to think that I could make one so well.

Loving the hop profile, really good matching of bitterness and aroma with the complex malt. Top work. Thanks Johnny,

cheers

Grant

1. barls - summer and fruity more info to come. bottled 15/11 so leave a month.
3. nifty - Some sort of Pilsner - 5.3% - Wyeast 2124 - bottled 17/10/2010 - Ready to drink.
4. Muggus - Alt Ten Eight - 6.0% Wyeast 1275 bottled 28.9.10
6. grantw - Dunkelweizen Bottled 16/11 - should be nice for christmas
7. gruntus - Meine Aventinus - Weizendoppelbock - 8.25% - Brewed 25/9/10 - Bottled 9/10/10 - RTD Now - Wyeast 3068
8. Palebrew - House Bitter - Special Bitter - 4.1% - 25/9/10 - 10/10/10 - Drink now - My first attempt at a Spitfire clone-way off but nice
9. Redb - Kellerbeir - malty, bitter, low carb, approx 5% - rtd now
11.Thommo - Porter, Bottled 13/11/2010
12. Sydneyhappyhour - Choc Mint Stout - Sweet Stout - 5.6% - Bottled 21/11/2010
13. Monkeybusiness - attenuation nutbags irish red - 6.7% - Brewed 2/11/10 - Bottled 23/11/10 - RTD I dunno, say christmas - Wy1084
15. Fatzgodzilla - surprise fruit beer ! No, it's the Kozel Dark Lager. My HB was crap so enjoy this one on me.
16. Syd_03-Golden ale-4.9%-US-05-Bottled 26/11/2010
17. Gulpa - AIPA - ?% (strongish I think) - Pacman yeast - Bottled 22/11
18. Smiley -Chezh pilsner bottled 18th November />19./
20. Bjorn J, Galaxy "Not to far away" APA, midstrength 3.5% alc, ready to drink
22. Cortez The Killer - Flying Ninja Squirrel IPA - American IPA - ~6.5% - http://hyperfox.info/allgrain01.htm#81 - Bottled 17/11/10 - RTD Mid December
24. Johnnyanchovy - Lucky dip! some AIPA, some Husky Hefeweizen, some Dark Ale, and some Spiced Pumpkin Ale. all range from 4.5-6.5%, all ready to drink now.
25. Boris, Brown Rye Ale, 5.1%, Brewed 15/10, Bottled 14/11, RTD mid Dec 2010
26. Lokpikn ( Dark Wheat beer )

Nice aroma, good head that dies down to a foam ring.
Deep, dark copper colour, more red than brown, really nice and enticing.
Touch of caramel but dry medium to light body, dry aftertaste. Not very bitter.
A touch of esters again on the smell/aroma, clean tasting with an exciting twist.
Really nice beer, thanks for letting me try it,

thanks
Bjorn

Nice aroma, good head that dies down to a foam ring.
Deep, dark copper colour, more red than brown, really nice and enticing.
Touch of caramel but dry medium to light body, dry aftertaste. Not very bitter.
A touch of esters again on the smell/aroma, clean tasting with an exciting twist.
Really nice beer, thanks for letting me try it,

thanks
Bjorn

Hi Bjorn,
Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

cheers

grant

24 Johnnyanchovy - Dark Ale
Poured into a glass a very dark brown / ruby colour, with a good sized tightly packed tan coulered head that stuck around a while to leave a nice thick lace covering.
The aroma is mainly raisins with a hint of dark cherry and port.
On the palate starts out soft with raisin notes before kicking in full force with a creamy texture accompanied by vanilla, toasted bread,raisin, bruised apple and cherry flavours.
Ending with a slightly creamy sweet bitterness that seems to cloy to the back of the palate.

Wish I knew what I was in for with this brew, 30 degree heat probably wouldn't have been my choice of day to crack it! Great beer full of complexity and flavour, no exact alcohol percentage listed on the wiki, just a note that the lucky dip entries range up to 6.5%, if I had to guess I would have thought this beer to be alot higher though seems to have a nice warming effect on the stomach.

My only regret is I didn't taste this on a cold winter night I reckon it would be the perfect way to unwind after a long winters day at work.

Thanks Johnnyanchovy :)

Lopkin - Dark Wheat Beer
Not sure what the bottled date was for this brew so I may be to blame for opening too early. Upon opening it looked like it was going to be a gusher, but in a glasss it died down and behaved about 20 seconds after pouring to the point of almost looking dead.
On the nose getting a lot of clove with a mild dose of freshly cut oranges.
On the palate cloves, mild dose of maple syrup, citrus lemon / lime and lightly toasted bread with the wheat kicking in around the 3/4 mark and ending clean with a touch of sweetness.

Well made beer, Lopkin can you tell me if I jumped the mark and opened too early? Thirst quenching and a great end to a hot Sydney day never the less.

Lopkin - Dark Wheat Beer
Not sure what the bottled date was for this brew so I may be to blame for opening too early. Upon opening it looked like it was going to be a gusher, but in a glasss it died down and behaved about 20 seconds after pouring to the point of almost looking dead.
On the nose getting a lot of clove with a mild dose of freshly cut oranges.
On the palate cloves, mild dose of maple syrup, citrus lemon / lime and lightly toasted bread with the wheat kicking in around the 3/4 mark and ending clean with a touch of sweetness.

Well made beer, Lopkin can you tell me if I jumped the mark and opened too early? Thirst quenching and a great end to a hot Sydney day never the less.
It is ready to drink but as i dont really bottle much beer maybe i have under carbed it a bit. Good to hear you liked is other wise.

It is ready to drink but as i dont really bottle much beer maybe i have under carbed it a bit. Good to hear you liked is other wise.
Seemed the last glass with the sediment held a head forever, was a bit hard to judge the head seemed a like it came out of a new bottle. Regardless it tasted great so thats all that matters, thanks also for the old school fosters longneck I was almost tempted to drink it on the verandah in the bottle for "street cred". B)

No.24 Johnny Anchovy's, Lucky Dip - I got the AIPA

Pours well, rocky foam stand, lacing the glass as it descends, copper body, slight haze. Aroma of fresh c hops but you can sense some serious bittering in there, mouthfeel is smooth, some spikiness, rich and slightly resiny.

Flavour is well defined, balanced malt and hop aroma on the first sip but then the hops take over and carry you through to a bitter finish with the aroma hops coming along for the ride carrying a good malt memory. As it warms in the glass it just gets better - I am very impressed. This is a great beer, good recipe well made.

I would like to think that I could make one so well.

Loving the hop profile, really good matching of bitterness and aroma with the complex malt. Top work. Thanks Johnny,

cheers

Grant

Cheers Grant - very generous review, and glad you liked it.

24 Johnnyanchovy - Dark Ale
Poured into a glass a very dark brown / ruby colour, with a good sized tightly packed tan coulered head that stuck around a while to leave a nice thick lace covering.
The aroma is mainly raisins with a hint of dark cherry and port.
On the palate starts out soft with raisin notes before kicking in full force with a creamy texture accompanied by vanilla, toasted bread,raisin, bruised apple and cherry flavours.
Ending with a slightly creamy sweet bitterness that seems to cloy to the back of the palate.

Wish I knew what I was in for with this brew, 30 degree heat probably wouldn't have been my choice of day to crack it! Great beer full of complexity and flavour, no exact alcohol percentage listed on the wiki, just a note that the lucky dip entries range up to 6.5%, if I had to guess I would have thought this beer to be alot higher though seems to have a nice warming effect on the stomach.

My only regret is I didn't taste this on a cold winter night I reckon it would be the perfect way to unwind after a long winters day at work.

Thanks Johnnyanchovy :)

Cheers pal! I don't think I'll revisit this beer any time soon - the yeast was something apparently something belgian provided by a friend, not really happy with the level of fusel alcohols and acetaldehyde - I think they can sometimes add to some belgian dark styles, but they were a little out of place here. Think I many have underpitched quite a bit as well.

Thanks fot the amazing review.

I've got to pick up my game!

ok time to come clean even though some of you have seen the label. mine this time is a braggot thats loosely based on a belgian pale ale and its roughly about 6%.
enjoy peoples

ok, time for my first case swap beer.
(Just read that bit from Barls about liking his beer, so guessing it is some kind of fruity-belgian-weird-beer-with-cherries-and-little-striped-kneesocks-on but will leave that for later)

Good head, big and fluffy white, tight head. Dies down to a foam ring that stays while finishing the glass.
Clean smell, a touch of sweetness.
Full body, sweet and well-rounded. Saaz tones, I always get a bit of sweetness from Saaz, maybe it's just me still worrying about what Barl's case swap beer will be like.
Very clear, can read the date of my watch through the glass.
Continuous stream of bubbles going through the beer, looks great to be honest.
Not a lot of hop aroma, but definetly there.
A touch of esters and a clean, dry finish.
Malty, clean pilsner flavour with a touch of sweetness without being cloey. I really like it.

A very nice beer. I would pay for this at the pub and be happy.

I drank one of my lagers today, tastes horribly of bananas. Read of it, first time I have tasted it.
By the looks of things I should get the recipe from Nifty.

Great beer mate, so happy it was the first case swap beer I tried!!

:D

thanks
Bjorn

Thanks for the comments Bjorn, I'm glad you liked it.

I was a bit nervous about putting this one in the case swap, it's the first time I've tried it out on other brewers and drinkers.

cheers

nifty

I kicked off the case with this -

4. Muggus - Alt Ten Eight - 6.0% Wyeast 1275 bottled 28.9.10

Mate, what a cracker of a beer. A top way to start this years xmas case.

thanks

nifty

1. barls - summer and fruity more info to come. bottled 15/11

I've never had a braggot before so I wasn't sure what to expect but I knew there was honey involved.

I guess I was thinking the beer would be along the lines of a souped up bees knees or something like that but I was pleasantly surprised to taste a really nice beer without any honey sweetness at all but with a very subtle honey back taste?? (sorry, not too good at describing this).

thanks

nifty

cheers mate, actually im really impressed on how it turned out. yeah i was kinda aiming for a belgian pale ale with honey instead of sugar. its only about 6% so nothing like the other one that 9-10%

Latest posts

Back