NSW producer wholesaler licence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy86

Reaction score
G'day Fellas,

Around half way through last year an email was sent out from olgr stating that there will be changes in this licence for brewers to be similar to a wine producers licence.
Has anyone heard or are in the know if or when these changes are implemented.

Looking forward to hearing any responses

1st of March the final changes come into play if anyone wants to know.
Now we can only hope they look at assistance with tax for the small guys.
Wishful thinking

Main changes are around the ability to sell at farmers markets, so similar conditions. I'd have to check on the details for holding events/functions onsite.

Excise is federal ... Nothing to do with state ...

/// said:
Main changes are around the ability to sell at farmers markets, so similar conditions. I'd have to check on the details for holding events/functions onsite.

Excise is federal ... Nothing to do with state ...
And has been discussed at times, there is a process to follow, and it is a heirarchy to follow...and follow you must.

It all ends with getting the ATO license if you are a producer ..Someone has to pay the Excise for the product

It is up to the State body to allow you to sell the product you produce.,,, you can't sell without the permission from the ATO

It is up to Local council to determine the areas you can sell it and make it.. You need State Government approval before you submitt a DA

They have changed the Laws to allow Farmers Markets etc, but the Excise needs to be paid first.

If you think selling your own beer is hard......A local dairy farmer set up his own bottled milk plant. ...

Ducatiboy stu said:
And has been discussed at times, there is a process to follow, and it is a heirarchy to follow...and follow you must.

It all ends with getting the ATO license if you are a producer ..Someone has to pay the Excise for the product

It is up to the State body to allow you to sell the product you produce.,,, you cant sell without the permission from the ATO

It is up to Local council to determine the areas you can sell it and make it.. You need State Government approval before you submitt a DA

They have changed the Laws to allow Farmers Markets etc, but the Excise needs to be paid first.

If you think selling your own beer is hard......A local dairy farmer set up his own bottled milk plant. ...
Well don't get me started on the LGA...
Useless so and so's.

Ducatiboy stu said:
It is up to the State body to allow you to sell the product you produce.,,, you cant sell without the permission from the ATO

There are more licenses in NSW than just producer. The main changes apply to producers, but with a NSW Wholesale the ATO has nothing to do with that License. So lots of horses, lots of courses ...

/// said:
There are more licenses in NSW than just producer. The main changes apply to producers, but with a NSW Wholesale the ATO has nothing to do with that License. So lots of horses, lots of courses ...
This is true, But wholsale you're not paying the excise, it has normally already been paid by the producer. They don't like to make it easy for you.

Stu, NSW and federal do not consider each other nor do they dabble. In effect they do not care if you are approved by either, just that you have the appropriate for their area of concern.

If you are a wholesaler the excise is easy, it is the producers issue, and not hard. We submit online and away we go.

Regardless, excise is a cost passed on, consumers not brewers should be the one pressuring treasury for a reduction.

/// said:
Stu, NSW and federal do not consider each other nor do they dabble. In effect they do not care if you are approved by either, just that you have the appropriate for their area of concern.

If you are a wholesaler the excise is easy, it is the producers issue, and not hard. We submit online and away we go.

Regardless, excise is a cost passed on, consumers not brewers should be the one pressuring treasury for a reduction.
Yes, what you say is true now. I prob should clarify. I did start the process of starting a micro before NSW changed the laws and licence requirments 10yrs ago And it was not easy. Just the DA stuff was a project...yet alone full filling the reqiurments of 3 levels of government. It was not an easy process, but it could be done

I am glad that they have now made things a lot easier now to get the licences needed.

But it is still an interlocking process when you look at it. You can't have one without the other

My point is that you can't just set up a stall and sell Beer or Wine without all the relevant paper work. It's actually not that hard when you break it down, you just need to meet all the rules and regulation

I do not think there is really any paper work, as long as usual conditions are met (appropriate license, u18 signs etc) you can set up shop and away you go.

Part of the discussion was that the product could not be sold immediate for consumption. When it was asked if Wine makers had to sell red wine chilled the response was frosty ... boom tish ... here all morning ...

Has anyone got a NSW Producer's/Wholesaler's Licence recently?

It looks like it's $700 just for the application (and then after that the yearly fee is $500, reduced to $200 if you're producing under 100k Litres).

Does that sound right?

Yep that's probably right. Used to be $2000 odd

Scotty

Not being able to find work in the upper hunter, the thought of setting up my own micro and selling at the markets up there is starting to become pretty enticing...

sp0rk said:
Not being able to find work in the upper hunter, the thought of setting up my own micro and selling at the markets up there is starting to become pretty enticing...
Might as well piggy back off the wine trail :)

Yeah, the closest competitor is Hunter Beer Co at Potters (about an hour away), so there's no real competition
And all the trendy horsie people at Denman and Scone would be a good target market...

Latest posts

Back