NSW Mid Year Case Swap 2017 Recipe + Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2. Paulyman - Coffee Amber Ale (Drink after June)

Nothing bad to say about this brew. Getting a nice complimentary coffee along with some berry like dark fruit. I have to admit, I was expecting a chocolate/caramel tirra massu vibe initially... guiltily call it a bias towards my own coffee experiments... Though this one has opened a new realm of ideas.

Pouring almost bright with a deep reddish amber hue. Nicely carbonated with a 2cm head that dissipates to a low layer. As I type this there is more of a chocolate dominance moving towards a black forest type of biscuit/fruitiness character behind the coffee. Very nice. Thankyou

1. Barls- something with fatz in mind. single hop pale ale with idaho and brett c.

Just delicious. I'm a sucker for brett beers that display that huge pineapple note. Idaho seems like a nice hop that compliments what is going on.

Definitely my favourite so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20170716_122457.jpg
    IMG_20170716_122457.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
1. Barls- something with fatz in mind. single hop pale ale with idaho and brett c.

Just delicious. I'm a sucker for brett beers that display that huge pineapple note. Idaho seems like a nice hop that compliments what is going on.

Barls...

Do I chill this and drink or age it? Salivating at the current reviews

glad you liked it
Barls...

Do I chill this and drink or age it? Salivating at the current reviews
it will do ether, I've finished the mini keg i had of it and only have a few bottle but it should hold up and keep the hop aroma if you chose to age it.

9. n87 - Stinkin' Pom IPA, ~7.2% - RTD

Nice beer. How did it fair in the competition you mentioned?
Would assume the judges would expect a significant increase in hop aroma and some more bitterness to tick the English IPA box?

Not that it matters, it is nice beer in its own right and doesn't need to be pigeon holed into a specific style. Perfect for the winter sunshine I'm enjoying this in.

Appreciate that, funnily enough it was the first batch of a "house beer" (wife's fave) that was really different, had been the one thing i was 100% consistent on . Did three things differently and got a hell of a different beer.

1) Used MJ 54 instead of the usual white labs, was a pig to start and that was with 2 packs hydrated
2) Got a hell of a lot more efficiency and the stuff came out nearly a full percentage point higher than my standard Steam. Hence "Uncommon"
3) New Hops, i.e. a fresh bag from a different source ..... still miss you Yob!

I'm so used to the previous style I'm struggling to love it!

12. MikeyR - Cali Uncommon
Tasting this after the previous beer is a tough act to follow. I'm not sure what to add to what has already been mentioned?

I got a lot of funk on the nose too. I initially thought there may be something wrong with the bottle but that concern was quickly reversed after I let it sit and warm up a bit. The aroma turned to the pleasant stuff like pear and a bit of bubblegum. It definitely has a Belgian charter, like a bold belgian pale ale.

In tasting, it is quite complex. I'm getting peach/apricot/bubblegum flavour esters, nice malt sweetness and a like minty/pine hop character balanced by a cleansing bitterness. It keeps getting better as it warms up and the estery aroma becomes more earthy. It is quite tasty and enjoyable.

To the others who haven't tasted this one yet, let it warm up to 8-10*C. The bold maltiness really comes through and balances well from that point.

@Mikeyr I can tell this is a well brewed beer. Best feedback I can give is I'm confident the yeast change is the main reason it's not what you set out for based on the differences you described. The belgian-like esters, especially the bubblegum indicate some sort of yeast stress (which isn't always a bad thing, though not what you were shooting for). I'm not at all familiar with this yeast strain so can't recommend sweet spots in terms of pitching rates/gravities/temperatures for it. Though I'm definitely picking up some flavours/aromas that suggest it was just outside the sweet spot for a cali-common. That said it was very forgiving.

Are you using your normal yeast for the re-brew?
Can you share the recipe?

9. n87 - Stinkin' Pom IPA, ~7.2% - RTD

Nice beer. How did it fair in the competition you mentioned?
Would assume the judges would expect a significant increase in hop aroma and some more bitterness to tick the English IPA box?

Not that it matters, it is nice beer in its own right and doesn't need to be pigeon holed into a specific style. Perfect for the winter sunshine I'm enjoying this in.

Thanks.
The comp made comments regarding oxidisation, but apart from that quite good.
Apparently the stubbie had more oxy present than the long neck.
If anything, I think you have opened it a bit late. On the day of the swap it was a touch green, but a week later it was fabulous. It's on its downward run now.

[QUOTE="1. Barls- something with fatz in mind. single hop pale ale with idaho and brett c.[/QUOTE]

ok, cracked this sucker yesterday. Ok beer. Couldn't taste any brett notes. What went wrong?

Anyone opened #10 yet .. my stout. Looking for some feedback.

Thanks.
The comp made comments regarding oxidisation, but apart from that quite good.
Apparently the stubbie had more oxy present than the long neck.
If anything, I think you have opened it a bit late. On the day of the swap it was a touch green, but a week later it was fabulous. It's on its downward run now.
Interesting. How old is it?
Apologies for not opening it sooner

The date was on the cap and i would have to be home to check, but I think it was bottled ~27/5

[QUOTE="1. Barls- something with fatz in mind. single hop pale ale with idaho and brett c.

ok, cracked this sucker yesterday. Ok beer. Couldn't taste any brett notes. What went wrong?

I got slight funk, loads of fruity notes seemingly not derived from the yeast or hops. Would be interesting to age it.

By comparison, my brew for the swap will be all funk and barely anything else. Been in the bottle 6 months.

14. gone brewing - Fly Blown Belgian - 6.6%,

Got a pleasant banana and bubble gum aroma when I cracked this colder than I probably should have. Though after a long couple of days, I didn't want to wait. Well balanced beer. Getting a bit of the bubblegum flavour while it is cold, along with a light toffee type of maltiness.

Pouring the second glass after it sat on the bench to warm, there is no more banana but a hint of bubblegum aroma. Also getting a herbal to floral bouque in the mixt. The maltiness gains a toasty character and there is a slight pleasant warming as I sip it.

Delicious beer with an enjoyable complexity as it changes temperature. I've brewed a few beers with this yeast and had similar recipes to what you linked for this one with similar results. So there is some bias to my enjoyment!

14. Fly blown...... Jazza you got it in one. Needs a quiet rest then it springs into action. Poured fizzy but no head. Then it magically built up over 5 minutes. Very damn clear!
Nice hints of banana and almost a hint of chili and berry flavoured bubblegum?
One to sip and savour. Needs thinking about but in a good way

Just opened No.9, didn't realise I hadn't already had it. Really nice toasty malt backed up by the earthy/spicy hops with a hint of orange zest. No real hop aroma but that's not surprising given how old it is now for an IPA. Delicious beer.

Get anything to taste?
Gusher .. infected or over carbed?

The contents of the bottle made it's way out over the course of about 4-5min.

What i did taste (I'm not a dark ale drinker) was really smooth, no astringency. Huge roasted barley-esque flavour. No alcohol presence, hid it well.

Couldn't really taste an infection.

#10 from FGZ. Exactly what I wanted to drink this arvo. Nice and roasty with a little residual sweetness. Good bitterness level and some background hop flavor. Perhaps a little too carbonated but I left it to heat up a little and that seemed to be less of an issue. Nice beer!

What's the recipe?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1504333667.089124.jpg

Back