NSW Mid Year Case Swap 2017 Recipe + Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats the belgian dark strong from last year i only part primed it because i was fairly sure there was something in it.

Fatz Vienna ale.

Clear light copper, good lasting head. Clean malt flavour with just enough hops to balance the malt. Simple but delightful beer. In a beer world full of triple IPAs it's a pleasure to enjoy a simple but well put together beer. Cheers Ian.
i second this one. its good to see you make something drinkable mate.

11. shacked - Dunkelryeizen, 5.8%

This beer is very well made.
Carbonation spot on. Nice white fluffy head. Dark to ruby amber in colour. Happy phenolics in the aroma, slight acidity on the nose too but not bad at all.
Wasn't too cloudy until I tried to get as much extras from the bottle into my 2nd glass as I type this... I was a bit aggressive and overpoured. That said, significantly less sedimate than I normally see in a bottle conditioned beer.

I'm rambling again... great beer. Thankyou for this.

Question... how much focus to ph and water chemistry are you applying? Reason I ask is I often get a bit of soapiness/alkalinity in the aftertaste from wheat/rye beers (the few I drink) in the mouthfeel and yours is not at all soapy. Quite bright in comparison and very enjoyable

Hi mate, thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

I guess I focus a little bit on water chemistry but don't feel I understand it all that well.

For this batch I added 100g of acid malt + 5g of cal chloride for a full volume mash with Illawarra water. I tried to get the residual Ca to ~50ppm and the mash pH into the 5.4 to 5.6 at room temp. Now, having said all that, I don't measure anything, just go on the EZ water calculator. I also don't know what the distilled water pH is of rye malt, so I added it as "other" - 5.7 pH

Here are my numbers:

Mash pH: 5.59

Resulting Profile:
Ca: 51
Mg: 2
Na: 10
Cl: 89
SO4: 4

9. n87 - Stinkin' Pom IPA

This is an outstanding beer. I was lucky to have tried this beer in a club meeting a few weeks ago and the case swap entry I had today didn't disappoint. It's got a lovely hop aroma that really gets its groove on. The flavour initially gives up the malt/caramel/toffee flavours which is a nice counterpoint to a decidedly bitter, hoppy finish. It's a very well made beer that I would like to make myself one day.

I'd argue that it's not an IPA, at least that's the impression I get from the balance of malt & bitterness. If I had to guess I'd say it was around 35 IBU, well short of the 55 IBU that was calculated, but it could be a case of the strong malty backbone you got there (it is a 7.2% beer). Maybe it's a great XPA rather than IPA. Having said all that, my idea of an IPA has probably gone waaaaayyyyy of scale from hanging around AHB for too long!
:bigcheers:

Anyway, a great effort. Thanks for sharing.

8. Contrarian red IPA

Pours a dark golden with good persistent head

Some citrus and toffee on the nose

Citrus and toffee follows into the taste. Hops upfront with some toffee, malt comes through as they fade, and backed up with a strong bitterness.

Really enjoying this one, still got half the bottle left!

9. n87 - Stinkin' Pom IPA

This is an outstanding beer. I was lucky to have tried this beer in a club meeting a few weeks ago and the case swap entry I had today didn't disappoint. It's got a lovely hop aroma that really gets its groove on. The flavour initially gives up the malt/caramel/toffee flavours which is a nice counterpoint to a decidedly bitter, hoppy finish. It's a very well made beer that I would like to make myself one day.

I'd argue that it's not an IPA, at least that's the impression I get from the balance of malt & bitterness. If I had to guess I'd say it was around 35 IBU, well short of the 55 IBU that was calculated, but it could be a case of the strong malty backbone you got there (it is a 7.2% beer). Maybe it's a great XPA rather than IPA. Having said all that, my idea of an IPA has probably gone waaaaayyyyy of scale from hanging around AHB for too long!
:bigcheers:

Anyway, a great effort. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks.
I was going for an English IPA, hence the more malt and less bitterness... don't know how well I did at it tho....
I did throw another one in your crate if you didn't notice ;)

8. Contrarian red IPA

Pours a dark golden with good persistent head

Some citrus and toffee on the nose

Citrus and toffee follows into the taste. Hops upfront with some toffee, malt comes through as they fade, and backed up with a strong bitterness.

Really enjoying this one, still got half the bottle left!

Glad you're enjoying it mate. Just had my keg of what was left blow the other night so the swap beers out there are the last in existence. Enjoy the second half!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1498822315.096030.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

Light straw colour. Fruity on the nose. Slightly sweet and tropical fruit on the palate. A very enjoyable beer.

Glad you're enjoying it mate. Just had my keg of what was left blow the other night so the swap beers out there are the last in existence. Enjoy the second half!

I did enjoy the second half :)
Sorry I didn't give a longer description, had dogs barking, baby crying and wife yelling.....

If anything, I would say it needed to finish a couple of points dryer, but that's personal preference

View attachment 106712

Anyone know what this is?

Light straw colour. Fruity on the nose. Slightly sweet and tropical fruit on the palate. A very enjoyable beer.

That's one of mine mate. Believe it or not but it's an American pilsner that I massively overshot my gravity on. Turned out around 7%. Pils, melanoidin and sugar with piles and piles of saaz. Mexican lager yeast at 10C.

I also ended up with a mystery bottle.
Green cap, 'WS 2/17'

Anyone know what it is?

That's one of my white stouts. It was a clone of the hopdog Christmas beer called feast of Stevens and had coffee beans and cacao nibs added post fermentation. Should be ready to drink.

That's one of mine mate. Believe it or not but it's an American pilsner that I massively overshot my gravity on. Turned out around 7%. Pils, melanoidin and sugar with piles and piles of saaz. Mexican lager yeast at 10C.

I believe it. The 7% didn't really come across at all to me. It was a tasty drop to finish the night on!

Hi mate, thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

I guess I focus a little bit on water chemistry but don't feel I understand it all that well.

For this batch I added 100g of acid malt + 5g of cal chloride for a full volume mash with Illawarra water. I tried to get the residual Ca to ~50ppm and the mash pH into the 5.4 to 5.6 at room temp. Now, having said all that, I don't measure anything, just go on the EZ water calculator. I also don't know what the distilled water pH is of rye malt, so I added it as "other" - 5.7 pH

Here are my numbers:

Mash pH: 5.59

Resulting Profile:
Ca: 51
Mg: 2
Na: 10
Cl: 89
SO4: 4
Awesome, Whatever you are doing... Keep doing it. Very nice

Well all of my legs have blown so these swap beers are a godsend!

Number 11 shackeds dunkekryezen.

A nice balance between the sweetness of the wheat and the spice from the rye. Medium body, good carbonation for the style. Plenty of character, presumably from the yeast. A very enjoyable Sunday arvo beer.

Number 14 gone brewings fly blown Belgian. Crystal clear copper with a light head. Slight malty sweetness balanced well. Some interesting and subtle characteristics that I can't describe, presumably from a Belgian yeast. I'm enjoying it a lot. Cheers.

Number 2 paulyman's coffee amber ale.

Clear light brown with a light head and carbonation on the low side. Very clean beer. Coffe on the nose and in the flavour as well but nicely melded with the malt. Did you add coffee beans to the fermenter for that flavour? This is a delicate beer, thoroughly enjoyable.

Hi All,

For those who have had mine [#9-Stinkin' Pom IPA], Would you class it as an AIPA or EIPA?
putting it in a comp tonight ;)

Back