NSW Mid Year Case Swap 2017 Recipe + Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shackled, PM me your contact details and we can sort something out next week. I am in the cbd too.
Be a bit of a hassle transporting too many bottles. Just supply three and you can owe me one! Did you get a full crate of beer after all that?

Mate picked up a few, half a dozen maybe, but no dramas. If shackled gets in touch I am happy to hook peeps up. Annoyed I missed the day.

Mate picked up a few, half a dozen maybe, but no dramas. If shackled gets in touch I am happy to hook peeps up. Annoyed I missed the day.
Yes, bugger. Should of contacted us and we would have left you a crate.

Hey mate, I used the Mangrove Jack French Saison, pitched at 28C and ramped to 32C. The grist was 50% vienna, 25% pilsner and 25% wheat with 375g demerara sugar during fermentation (15L batch). I think it was about 50IBU with 50g hallertau at FWH and 50g saaz in the whirlpool (no chill). We brewed it at Scottys on Big Brew Day.

Cheers mate, those mangrove jacks yeasts seem to go well.

#5 Kels brown.

Cracked open with that happy sound of a well carbonated beer. Pours dark brown with a tight persistent tan coloured head. Picking up a leathery character along with a dark fruit aroma. Not getting any hops on the nose. Drinks well, balanced but firm bitterness and late fruitcake type of malty sweetness. Some carbonation bite/tartness in a pleasant cleansing and dry finish. Very enjoyable, thank you.

:bigcheers:

Lawn is mowed and Sunday footy is on; and I'm tucking into #7 - Vienna Ale from FGZ.

Easy drinking with a nice strong malt backbone and great hop note. Great dry finish. Top beer! Happy I ended up with a couple of extras. What's the recipe??

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1498366171.476857.jpg

7. FGZ catch up entry. Looks like a V on the lid. Is a V for Vienna Ale. RTD

Just home from baseball. Cracked this bad boy while firing up the Kamado for the Sunday roast. Classic aroma expected from a Vienna. Presents clear to bright with a fair white head that slowly fades to a dense layer above the amber goodness. Tastes clean and malty with a slight malty meets honey like texture that is cleansed with a balancing bitterness. Perfectly carbonated. Delicious. Would love to replicate this beer, I second the request for a recipe. Many thanks!

I updated the case swap thread, but in case anyone missed it - mines an English Dark Mild 1.8% RTD

Recipe is
1.036 OG
10.4% Crystal 40L
10.4% Crystal 120L
78.1% Pale Malt (UK)
1.1% Chocolate
11.3ibus Magnum @ 60
1g/L Fuggles @ 10
1g/L Fuggles dry hop
S-04 (stalling at 1.020 :p )

FGZ catch up entry. Looks like a V on the lid. Is a V for Vienna Ale. RTD

Very simple brew. 3.3kg Weyermans Vienna Malt, 300g Weyermans Carahell. BIAB, bag in at 69C. 60 minute boil, finished at 1.055. Probably 5g of Willemette at first boil, 35g of Aus Willemette at whirlpool (approximation for a pinch and a small handful). No chill. Strained wort into cube - no hops or trub in cube. Didn't want too much bitterness. Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast (2nd generation). Think it finished at 1.015 higher than expected but was finished. Aust Willemette 6.5 alphas.

Wasn't meant for the swap, just general drinking, but the banana bread beer was deemed not good enough. That said, cracked one last night .. I might have been a tad hasty. Might save the aged version for a Xmas Swap ?!

Forgot to say, when I Brew these days, I only look for about 17 litres out (to fill a 15l cube). Usually about 30 litres of water into mash tun, boil down to that 17l mark. That's why 1.055 into fermenter.

Forgot to say, when I Brew these days, I only look for about 17 litres out (to fill a 15l cube). Usually about 30 litres of water into mash tun, boil down to that 17l mark. That's why 1.055 into fermenter.

FGZ catch up entry. Looks like a V on the lid. Is a V for Vienna Ale. RTD

A bright spice and herbal-type flavour from the hops, very clean and lingers long into the finish. Wasn't what i expected, although was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
#14 gone brewing - Fly Blown Belgian. Drank this tonight and really enjoyed it after it warmed up a little. Nice spiciness and a good balance with the crystal malt. What yeast did you use?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1498642255.740951.jpg

#14 gone brewing - Fly Blown Belgian. Drank this tonight and really enjoyed it after it warmed up a little. Nice spiciness and a good balance with the crystal malt. What yeast did you use?
Thanks Shacked, glad you liked it. I used Wyeast 1762, Belgian Abbey II which is subtle for a Belgian yeast but gives some nice flavours and I fermented at 22-23 degrees to get something out of it. The full recipe is below but note that I used willamette for bittering instead of styrian goldings.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/recipedb-fly-blown-belgian.20653/

11. shacked - Dunkelryeizen, 5.8%

This beer is very well made.
Carbonation spot on. Nice white fluffy head. Dark to ruby amber in colour. Happy phenolics in the aroma, slight acidity on the nose too but not bad at all.
Wasn't too cloudy until I tried to get as much extras from the bottle into my 2nd glass as I type this... I was a bit aggressive and overpoured. That said, significantly less sedimate than I normally see in a bottle conditioned beer.

I'm rambling again... great beer. Thankyou for this.

Question... how much focus to ph and water chemistry are you applying? Reason I ask is I often get a bit of soapiness/alkalinity in the aftertaste from wheat/rye beers (the few I drink) in the mouthfeel and yours is not at all soapy. Quite bright in comparison and very enjoyable

Have had a couple of these but been very slack about writing them up and a couple were side swaps so I'll try to catch up here.

Marcus BBD saison. Lovely colour, high carbonation, a bit tart and very dry. Could have drunk a keg of this.

Jazzafish dark

Was late night on a Friday night and a delicious dark roasty and chocolates beer to enjoy in front of the fire. Good carbonation and not a hint of anything untoward. Very enjoyable.

Barls dark sour which I think was a side swap. A very intriguing colour and flavour. Cloudy appearance and an interesting balance of sweet and sour that worked very well. Wish I had some more if this!

Number 12. MikeyR California uncommon. Not familiar with the style so no basis for comparison. Light copper colour, crystal clear and a tight white head that lingers well. Light fruity nose. Medium body and quite a fruity flavour. Very enjoyable and glad I have another bottle for later on!

glad you liked it. its still very young if its the dude bruin. it was bottled about 2 weeks ago but would be nearly a year old in the barrel.

Not sure what it was precisely. Has a label that says bds half primed 5/9/16 on the bottle..

Fatz Vienna ale.

Clear light copper, good lasting head. Clean malt flavour with just enough hops to balance the malt. Simple but delightful beer. In a beer world full of triple IPAs it's a pleasure to enjoy a simple but well put together beer. Cheers Ian.

Latest posts

Back