nsw mid year case swap 17 june 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Barls- something with fatz in mind. fermenting now.
2. Paulyman
3. Fungrel
4. mattfos01 foreign extra stout in the bottles.
5. kelly - english brown ale
6. reman
7. fruit beer lover FGZ's World Famous Banana Bread Beer.
8. Contrarian
9. n87 - Stinkin' Pom IPA
10. Fatgodzilla A Stout ..an imperial. Already bottled .. A first for me so far from the swap!
11. shacked - Ryeizenbock (WLP351)
12. MikeyR
13. Jazzafish. An ABBA. ANZAC Biscuit Brown Ale. Will brew it tomorrow

Barls- something with fatz in mind. fermenting now.

spat in your bottle ............ :icon_vomit:

just cant remember which one was yours ............... :D

As a moderator, can you go back to the heading and put the date of the swap in it? Dementia setting in ....

note to self check bottles from fatz for floaties

2. Paulyman
3. Fungrel
6. reman
8. Contrarian
10. Fatgodzilla A Stout ..an imperial. Already bottled .. A first for me so far from the swap!
12. MikeyR
​14. gone brewing - my attempt to make Fly Blown Belgian >>> (http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/380-fly-blown-belgian/)

OK change of pace for me, I'm still getting my settings right in Beersmith for the Grainfather, The house beer which i do for Jacq is an Anchor Steam clone with Marris as the base. Managed to somehow end up with an original gravity of 1.06 which was a bit higher than the plan, finally getting good efficiency! Options were; a water addition or chuck in a couple of packs of yeast and make it the swappa. No surprise the option i took :) So my offering will be .... assuming it doesn't turn out filthy, a California Uncommon!

2. Paulyman
3. Fungrel
6. reman
8. Contrarian
12. MikeyR - Cali Uncomoon
​14. gone brewing - my attempt to make Fly Blown Belgian >>> (http://aussiehomebre...-blown-belgian/)

2. Paulyman
3. Fungrel - Oh crap i forgot about the case swap (aged Brett Belgian Blonde)
6. reman
8. Contrarian
​14. gone brewing - my attempt to make Fly Blown Belgian >>> (http://aussiehomebre...-blown-belgian/)

dry hopped mine last night

Put mine in bottles this arvo. Sorry about the PET bottles...

At the last minute I changed up the recipe so mine is more of a dunkelweizen with rye rather than weizenbock.

I don't think I'll be able to make it up for the 17 but I'll see if my beers can hitch a ride up with someone from the IBUs.

2. Paulyman
6. reman
8. Contrarian
11. shacked - Dunkelryeizen (WLP351) - 5.8%
​14. gone brewing - my attempt to make Fly Blown Belgian >>> (http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/380-fly-blown-belgian/)

Brewed mine today. First non-funky brew for quite a while. Went easy and brewed an imperial IPA with 200g of hops in the boil! The GF pump and I are no longer friends...

2. Paulyman - Imperial IPA (8%)
6. reman
8. Contrarian

Just threw 100g hops into the fermenter... if anyone complains it's not hoppy enough for an EIPA can go jump :D

Well thanks to the second shitty siphon in a few moths I have lost another batch. I'm gutted, this IPA was probably the best beer I've ever made and it all ended up down the drain.

Trying to put down a simple amber tonight, hopefully ferments out in time.

Shit happens I suppose. Thankfully had cubes and ample yeast waiting in the queue.

paulyman said:
Well thanks to the second shitty siphon in a few moths I have lost another batch. I'm gutted, this IPA was probably the best beer I've ever made and it all ended up down the drain.

Trying to put down a simple amber tonight, hopefully ferments out in time.
That sucks balls man. I think that's worse than tipping infected batches (my last 2) because at least the infected stuff is undrinkable.

Is it a design issue with the siphon?

Reman said:
That sucks balls man. I think that's worse than tipping infected batches (my last 2) because at least the infected stuff is undrinkable.

Is it a design issue with the siphon?
I'd like to say yes, but probably just user error combined with 200g+ of dry hops.

So after the double IPA disaster of 2017, I chucked a cube of Amber Ale waiting patiently in the pipeline into the brew bucket along with 5L of water to get my target volume and OG. I then threw in the yeast and Tilt hydrometer and sealed it all up. Here is the Tilt data:

gallery_36670_1464_25727.png

As you can see the Tilt registered an OG around 1.012, which remained relatively stable until fermentation kicked in, at which point the SG steadily rose to its current 1.032. I have always envied those with a glass carboy who get to see active fermentation, but thanks to the Tilt and a big density gradient caused by me adding 5L of water and floating the Tilt in it I get to "see" it today! The OG should have been 1.050 so I reckon it should equilibrate in the next few hours and then start dropping. Technology is great, but I can't help imagining the poor newbie trying to explain to us that the SG on their brew had risen during fermentation!

That's not cool paulyman, no-one likes loosing a batch, specially with that much hops.
I just dumped a cube of Belgian dark strong on a cap that wasn't on quite tight enough... not a happy moment.

Either way, mine is bottled, will be, if not ready, close to ready on swap date. It all depends on the temp of my bottle cabinet.
I will have to sacrifice a bottle or two to test ;).

The keg of the same batch is testing awesome. Hope you all like it.

So it looks like i am double booked for this, so I wont be able to come and drink too much :(

Barls, I will have to organise some time to drop my stuff off.

no problem mate.
just bottled mine and stuffed it up by missing a bottle when filling.
so someone will get a 1L bottle instead.

1. Barls- something with fatz in mind. single hop pale ale with idaho and brett c.
6. reman
8. Contrarian

1. Barls- something with fatz in mind. single hop pale ale with idaho and brett c.
6. reman
8. Contrarian red IPA bottled 4/6/17
14. gone brewing - my attempt to make Fly Blown Belgian >>> (http://aussiehomebre...-blown-belgian/)

Mine is in bottles now. A red IPA based on the recipe from the gladfields site. Wet hopped with some home grown cascade and dry hopped with a few different US hops.

Probably won't make it up for the day but my beers have a lift. Might send up some bottles of white stout if anyone is interested!

Back