Nsw Amateur Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the pleasure of tasting the last two beers after the judging of the BOS round.
Both were sensational but the Rauch was something special, a superbly brewed beer, flawless and a deserving winner.
Congratulations on such a splendid effort, especially for style where it is so hard to get balance right
Mark

Thanks Mark! Very kind words.

Mate I was trying to keep the superlatives under control
You brewed one hell of a good beer you deserve every word of praise you get.
Hope you like the books, they are three of the best brewing books I know of and I cant help but think they are going to a worthy owner.
Going to get out now before I start so sound all gushy
Well done indeed
Mark

Mate I was trying to keep the superlatives under control
You brewed one hell of a good beer you deserve every word of praise you get.
Hope you like the books, they are three of the best brewing books I know of and I cant help but think they are going to a worthy owner.
Going to get out now before I start so sound all gushy
Well done indeed
Mark

I didn't actually know what the BOS prize was until you said that and I read back through the thread!

I am very much looking forward to getting into those books, especially the Kunze. Thanks very much for the prize Mark!

Well done Haldini!
Must have been some sort of beer, I was there but did not get to taste that one - spewing!

Mark, thanks for the great prize and support of the competition.

A big cheers to all of the other HUB guys, David for the hard slog getting it all pulled together. Keith and Jess and everyone from Potters and Shaun from Murray's.

Thanks to Mort and Barry, for being great all weekend. Met a lot passionate brewers, was fantastic.

Fear_n_loath.

No win for me, Oh well.
Thanks Dave and everyone else involved for running the comp and getting the results out. A big congrats to all winners too!

Holy fuckamolee, to say i'm happy with those results would be a bit of an understatement.

A big thanks to
-HUB, & the judges/stewards that generously donated their time,
-the comp sponsors
-Mark/MHB for having the best grain/hop selection, vast brewing knowledge, & cheap shipping!
-the trusty braumeister for copping a flogging but loving it
-no chill.

Congrats to the winners/placers, and thanks to those that have offered their congrats to me. Good on you Sam
for your BOS beer & prizes, i guess i'll have to buy that Almanac now after all!

Well done Haldini.
Must have been a cracker.
Pipped at the post.
Happy Days.

Harry (Peter).

big cheers for HUB for organising the comp and congrats to BOS, runner up and all place getters

how does one go about progressing to the AABC now?

From what I can work out, the entry form and details are here.

Still can't believe I qualified for the Nationals :eek:

We'll knock the other states dead !

I've a question. Used to think that the same beer (style not batch) had to be entered into the AABC, but now Im reading it to say that any style can be entered, as long as its in the same category as the qualifying beer. Is this correct? I need to brew something quick smart, because I have nothing of the qualifying style or even in the category to hand.

That's how I read it as well. I've still got seven bottles from the same batch my qualifying beer came from. Notice they only require one bottle for AABC. So that means six left for consumption. Funnily enough, after I put a picture of my beer on Facebook last night saying how happy I was with the my result, I was swamped with requests for a sample from a few mates, some of who laughed at me 8 months ago when I said I was getting into home brewing and told me I'd only make shit. So, no beer for them :p

Thanks again for all those involved! Congrats to all the place getters and good luck at Nats, time to beat those Mexicans.

Wit

Hey H.U.B guys, i've got 2 cubes of wort for you (if you want them) to do with as you see fit. Thought it might be a good way to say thanks to yourselves and the judges/stewards for the hard work running the comp.

1 cube placed a 3rd, the other didn't but is still a good drop!

I'm in Sydney, and am happy to help with collection/drop off elsewhere.

Nice work guys.

Hey H.U.B guys, i've got 2 cubes of wort for you (if you want them) to do with as you see fit. Thought it might be a good way to say thanks to yourselves and the judges/stewards for the hard work running the comp.

Nice work guys.

Hey Mikk,
You wouldnt be Michael Wallace, thats plastered all over the results sheet would you?

Hey Mikk,
You wouldnt be Michael Wallace, thats plastered all over the results sheet would you?

Maybe...!
It seems i exceeded my goal of getting 4 'places', including a first. I haven't won a first place for anything since 1988 when i won
a music eisteddfod as a 14 year old, so very happy.

I love making & drinking beer, so figured the best way to learn more would be to try to nail as many different base styles as
possible. I have to say, I reckon i've leaned more about brewing in the last 7 months than i would have in 7 years had i not entered
the competition so 'comprehensively'. Well worthwhile, & i can't recommend it highly enough. Competitions improve your brewing
immeasurably, & am grateful for the people that take time out of their busy lives to help run/organise them, & the sponsors that
help make it a worthwhile & fun past-time.

I've been working since the results came out, so am enjoying my first celebration ale right now. (A Rochefort 6, if you must know!).

Good times, & i'm hoping to do well on behalf of the NSW team at the Nationals in October... Wish us luck!

Team NSW !

You must have so much beer at your house right now. Yet you go for the R6!

Are you re-brewing any of them for the Nationals, or entering samples from the same batch?

Team NSW !

You must have so much beer at your house right now. Yet you go for the R6!

Are you re-brewing any of them for the Nationals, or entering samples from the same batch?

Mild Ale- rebrew
English Bitter- rebrew
Munich Helles- ferment 2nd cube
ESB- original batch. This was actually a failed IPA, so 2nd place was a nice surprise! Hope it's still ok by Oct
Schwarzbier- rebrew
Oktoberfest-original batch (5 months of lagering already!)
Maibock- original batch (6 months of lagering already!). I think there's only a tiny splash in the bottom of the keg. Will cry if i can't fill a 650ml bottle with it!
American Stout- ferment 2nd cube. Surprised no-one else did an Am stout
Oak-aged robust porter- rebrew, but will be struggling for time. Ex Tatachilla winery oak staves used, & the submitted beer was past it's prime anyway.

Looking forward to October, as after that i'll be able to get back to a 'normal' (ie non beer obsessed) life again!

Go team NSW!

Maybe...

(snip)

Good times, & i'm hoping to do well on behalf of the NSW team at the Nationals in October... Wish us luck!

Ahh I was wondering if that was you. Congrats Mikk, outstanding results. Knock em dead at AABC!

Mild Ale- rebrew
English Bitter- rebrew
Munich Helles- ferment 2nd cube
ESB- original batch. This was actually a failed IPA, so 2nd place was a nice surprise! Hope it's still ok by Oct
Schwarzbier- rebrew
Oktoberfest-original batch (5 months of lagering already!)
Maibock- original batch (6 months of lagering already!). I think there's only a tiny splash in the bottom of the keg. Will cry if i can't fill a 650ml bottle with it!
American Stout- ferment 2nd cube. Surprised no-one else did an Am stout
Oak-aged robust porter- rebrew, but will be struggling for time. Ex Tatachilla winery oak staves used, & the submitted beer was past it's prime anyway.

Looking forward to October, as after that i'll be able to get back to a 'normal' (ie non beer obsessed) life again!

Go team NSW!

Wow, looks like you've got some work to do! Good luck with the rebrews and good luck at the nationals. You'll be in with a chance for national champ for sure :beerbang:

Maybe...!
It seems i exceeded my goal of getting 4 'places', including a first. I haven't won a first place for anything since 1988 when i won
a music eisteddfod as a 14 year old, so very happy.

I love making & drinking beer, so figured the best way to learn more would be to try to nail as many different base styles as
possible. I have to say, I reckon i've leaned more about brewing in the last 7 months than i would have in 7 years had i not entered
the competition so 'comprehensively'. Well worthwhile, & i can't recommend it highly enough. Competitions improve your brewing
immeasurably, & am grateful for the people that take time out of their busy lives to help run/organise them, & the sponsors that
help make it a worthwhile & fun past-time.

I've been working since the results came out, so am enjoying my first celebration ale right now. (A Rochefort 6, if you must know!).

I thought so. I went in on the mini champagne bottles bulk buy you did. You gave me a Belgian to take home. Not surprised you did well, that Belgian was a cracker.

Nice work guys.
Hey Michael,

If you're interesting if having your "award winning" beer(s) on show at the Bitter & Twisted in November let us know. We'll have a stand there again this year and more than happy to have some more great beers on show!

Latest posts

Back