Notes For Judges For Specialty Beers At Vicbrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrenosBrews

Reaction score
So I'm spending my morning at work organising my entry forms for Vicbrew.

Just a quick question, I assume notes about Specialty beers should be included on a totally seperate piece of paper and just attach it to the bottle along with the entry form and money?

Cheers & good luck to anyone else entering!

Dropped my five off at the Geelong Home Brew shop today. Looking forward to getting the feedback.

So I'm spending my morning at work organising my entry forms for Vicbrew.

Just a quick question, I assume notes about Specialty beers should be included on a totally seperate piece of paper and just attach it to the bottle along with the entry form and money?

Cheers & good luck to anyone else entering!

If its something ambigous. e.g. Ginseng Pale Ale. (Has Ginseng but is not supposed to be detectable) note it.

If you enter say a Raspberry Robust porter. They will judge it as a Raspberry Robust Porter. If you enter it as a Raspberry porter. they will judge it in the style of a porter with raspberry, no specifically a robust, baltic or brown porter with raspberry, if you catch my drift.

For my specialty entry, i just entered it with the category, (herb spice and vegetable) and the optional name as to what it is. Im sure they can figure it out!

This is a chance to tell the judges what they should taste.

don't make it so long they wont read it (one sentence)

Orange Honey Wheat Beer

A Weisen style base with bitter orange peel and orange blossom honey, some wheat phenolics such as clove. Bright appearance with a suttle orange note.

They have to try and make some sort of judgement off of what you say it is supposed to taste like coupled with the base beer guideline, remember they are working off of a guideline which gives some flexibility.

Kleiny

And they wont believe you if its a Funky Pils with sulphury back notes and popcorn buttery mouthfeel.

And they wont believe you if its a Funky Pils with sulphury back notes and popcorn buttery mouthfeel.

Dave and i (from Greensy home brew) where chatting about using butterscotch liquor extract for flavourings in beer this week. As if anyone would use that?!?! Maybe Fents!

Lychee Pilsner or wheat is looking tempting this summer! :icon_drool2: Maybe a couple of tins of lychees in syrup just before flameout! :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I think the OP is referring mainly to the category "Other Specialty Beer" - where you have to explain why it is that your beer doesn't fit in any of the other categories and what is experimental about the recipe, ingredients, techniques etc

It took me a couple of paragraphs to explain mine - I would have liked to keep it short, but there was just too much that was "abnormal" about my beer.

I stapled my note to the main bottle label in a bit that wont matter if it gets torn removing it.

Still pissed that there are no ciders in this years Vicbrew... just when I made a decent tasting one.

Good luck everyone

TB

Latest posts

Back