Note To Self: Never Brew In A Hurry!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kapone

Reaction score
For the last two weeks I've been putting off brewing as I thought I didn't have the time. Today I thought "Stuff it!", and decided to quickly brew up a toucan as my keg of Coopers Stout was getting pretty low.

Recipe:
  • 2x MSB Pale Ale cans
  • 1x 15g goldings on the boil for 10mins
  • 1x 15g goldings on the boil for 1min
  • US-05 ale yeast
Nice and simple, shouldn't take long I thought. I spent the appropriate time beforehand scrubbing and sanitising, and got my brew going. All went well (almost had a boilover, but luckily I sprang for an extra large pot a while ago which kept things contained), and I went to pour off into the fermenter (keeping the hop bags in there for a bit more hoppy goodness), when I noticed something was wrong... I LEFT THE BLOODY TAP OPEN!

I think I only lost about a litre of my wort from the pot (about 7 litres all up), and I topped up to less than I was planning (filled it to 19L, although in hindsight starting to wish I'd gone even lower). It's cooling down at the moment and I'll pitch once it hits about 25c.

So a note to self, never brew in a hurry!

(as it turns out, now I need to mop the kitchen floor, so my mad rush has actually resulted in more time lost!)

been there... done that

don't feel too bad, everyone does silly things now and then.

You're not a real brewer until you've spilt hot wort over another brewers thongs.

:lol:

I've forgotten to replace the sump plug while doing an oil change before putting 3 or 4L of oil and wondering why the hell the dipstick is not registering a level... :wacko:

lol yeah i think we've all been there...i think there was another story about this here just earlier this week...

Ahhh the joy's of a mad rush brew. I once rushed one and forgot to put the kit in, didn't realise till about 15 mins after pitching, thought "what's this tin sitting here for, ooohhhhhh f**k", quickly got it in there, came up ok in the end. you'll be right mate. As butters eludes (sp) to, you're not a real brewer till you f**k up, we all do it eventually.

i remember reading a post on here about leaving the tap open...

but it was from a guy that used to working for CUB. He was transferring from one container to another - it was supposed to be a 2 man job - but the hose from one container came loose (as he didn't put it on well enough) and he was literally swimming in beer.

top story

makes loosing 5 litres of wort look like nothing...

i remember reading a post on here about leaving the tap open...

but it was from a guy that used to working for CUB. He was transferring from one container to another - it was supposed to be a 2 man job - but the hose from one container came loose (as he didn't put it on well enough) and he was literally swimming in beer.

top story

makes loosing 5 litres of wort look like nothing...

Mmmmm, swimming in beer. Sounds like fun! :p

bloody stupid fermenter taps, why are they backwards?, with any other tap turning to the right is closed.
...yeah, I'ev fallen for that one too

Yep, did the same the other day with a pilsener brew but only lost about 1/4 litre on to the floor, which was more than happily cleaned up by my thirsty booze hound cattle dog.

Latest posts

Back