Not Using Brew Enhancer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matplat said:
I get the feeling Darren might not be visiting here too often..... just a hunch ;)
An incorrect hunch but as I stated, I will keep it on topic for the better of the forum other to conclude, my position stands totally.
Is it the general opinion that aquarium heaters when the weather is too cold are no good? I hope they are as they are such a simple way to maintain a temperature. Thanks

Glad you proved me wrong mate ;)

I've not read about many people using aquarium heaters, but that doesn't mean it isnt done. My concern would simply be that it is a another potential source of infection.

Belt heaters, pad heaters and infrared lamps, heat sources external to the FV are much more common.

However, depending on where you live, you really only need heating for 1-2 months of the year max, as fermentation generates its own heat. Here in Brisbane, I don't need it at all, Dalby was a different story!

Matplat said:
Glad you proved me wrong mate ;)

I've not read about many people using aquarium heaters, but that doesn't mean it isnt done. My concern would simply be that it is a another potential source of infection.

Belt heaters, pad heaters and infrared lamps, heat sources external to the FV are much more common.

However, depending on where you live, you really only need heating for 1-2 months of the year max, as fermentation generates its own heat. Here in Brisbane, I don't need it at all, Dalby was a different story!
I started off using an aquarium heater while I was back in Tas, Worked ok for the first while but infections crept in and I shunned brewing for a while. Turned out the top of the heater has a void that was harbouring all sorts of crap, it made contact when the krausen reached it, and transferred the infection. Never used one again.

My two cents: I use a test tube style aquarium heater stuck into the side of the fermenter with a rubber grommet to seal around the hole. It can be easily removed and sanitized between brews and I've found it to be very successful. Really cheap way of doing it too - you can pick one up off Ebay for well south of 20 bucks.

It's true though that it's rarely needed. Here in Adelaide, probably only about 2 months of the year. I'm far more likely to be wrapping a wet towel around the fermenter to keep the temperature down!

Agree with most others here btw - better to be brewing at about 18c, and be patient. I tend to leave my brew in the drum for at least a fortnight before bottling.

Latest posts

Back