Not Sure How To Treat This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oatlands Brewer

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Ive made up a recipe for a Boh pils as a move into more grain. was wondering if im on the right track and had a couple of questions.

Heres the recipe

1.5 kg LDME
.6 kg wheat dme

2kg Carapils

40g Cascade @ 60
20g Saaz @ 40
20g Saaz @ 10
10g Saaz @ 5

OG: 1050
FG: 1012

My questions are.
1: Will this be ok
2: Is Carapils a correct grain to use, especially as it the majority ingredent
3: will just "steeping the grains like ive been doing with spec grains be good enough to "mash" the grains

Im also looking for a suggestion on yeast too

Cheers

To start with 600g of wheat malt is way over the top and strictly speaking not to style.
Carapils is not a base malt and 2 kilos would give you a sickly sweet dextrinous wort that will not ferment out to an acceptable FG.

Drop the wheat malt, use at the most 200g of carapils (but I'd use none) and use 2kg of pilsner malt mashed at 64c for 60 minutes if you want to start doing partial mashes.

Cascade is a big no in a Bo Pils, sub that out for Saaz.
A good dry yeast would be 34/70 or Swiss Lager.

Andrew

I have never used that much carapils in any recipe.
I normally only use a dash of it for head retention.

Ill let someone else more experienced chime in and let you know for sure, but I always use carapils as a specialty malt rather than a base malt.

I'd ditch the Carapils all together, the 1.5kg of LDME will give you good head retention.

If you are looking for a hoppy golden coloured clean tasting beer as Boh Pils is, I'd go Andrew's suggestion with the mini mash, but instead of the LDME or liquid malt, use a can of Coopers or Morgans Canadian and overlay it with Saaz Saaz and more Saaz, use a reliable lager yeast such as S-189 and ferment at 13 degrees for 3 weeks then lager for 3 weeks and you should get a nice drop.

I use 330 of Carapils in most of my lagers - simply because that's a third of the bag :rolleyes: but that's as much as I'd ever use in a brew.

Boh Pils is a slightly more malty version of a regular pilsner. You can get Bohemian Pilsner malt that is floor malted which imparts a slightly more malty/melanoidin rich flavour or you could add some Munich or Vienna malt. Some yeasts also help showcase the malt flavour, Wy2038 or WLP 838 would be my choices. They need a starter and a nice cold ferment of 10C (I let it rise to 12.5 for the last week to finish off).

If you want to mash 2kg of grains I would suggest 1.25kg pilsner malt, 250g Carapils and 250g Munich - mash around 64 for an hour. The wheat in your recipe is not to style, same with the cascade bittering - normally it's a noble hop...Saaz, Hallertauer, Tettnanger or Spalt. If you want to experiment go for it and I understand the buzz of formulating recipes and breaking rules but it would be a good idea to make one or two to-style first to give you a solid starting point for experimentation.

Is wheat DME 100% wheat? I know that the Coopers liquid wheat extract is like 50/50 barley/wheat, so maybe the DME is also? If this is the case, while 300g of wheat would be out of style for a Boh Pils, it wouldn't ruin the beer. Good for head retention and that slightly dry grainy taste that wheat seems to impart. Again, not to style, but not necessarily a bad addition.

Same with the Cascade. Definitely not to style in a Boh Pils, but not a bad addition. As suggested, sub with Saaz if you're really looking to do a Boh Pils. Or saub with some other neutral hop, like Northern Brewer if you're wanting to use a higher alpha for bittering.

Get rid of the CaraPils, or drop it down to somewhere around 100-300g.

If you're wanting 2kg of grains in there, you'll have to mash ratrher than steep, as the bulk of that 2kg will be made up of base malt. Boh Pils uses specialty grains sparingly.

Thanks guys

I was unsure about the carapils and weather 2kg would require a base grain instead....

As for the Cascade, i was trying to get to 40 IBU and by using saaz it seemed i would need about 10 kg to get there, so i subbed the cascade to up the 60min bittering units.

As for the wheat i was thinking about head retension and a bit of a fuller mouth feel...maybe not huh..

Anyway thanks guys ill have a bit of a think and read and see what i come up with

If you feel that your Saaz is too low in AA% to get you the IBU you are looking for, consider substituting it with another hop like Hallertau or Tettnang. etc.

Good luck with it!

Back