IIPA kit experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrells

Reaction score
hey guys, been cruising the forums for a while now, thought I should join and ask some questions.
Looking at making an IIPA with a kit. Ive done a couple brews with a little playing with hops, but want to go a bit further. I use the kits purely cause Im tight and dont want to spent the money on setting up all grain just yet.
ive got the kit spreadsheet which ive worked things out on. Was looking at using
coopers wheat kit
1.5kg LME
2kg light DME
40g mosiac @30
20g Mosiac @15
20g Citra @15
10g Citra at flame out.
dry hop with both
2xUS05 yeast+starter
Was aiming for around 80UBI and 7+% ABV
Would this combination work flavour wise? I put down something similar but was in a bad room and a heat wave cooked it but it smelt amazing before it's death. Using this hop combination as from what i hear and read they can mesh well.
I love the Pirate life IIPA, working my way toward something similar

Totally understand the being tight bit - I got i to home brewing to save money not spend more ha ha.

Why a wheat kit? I've used the thomas coopers IPA kit with steeped crystal and a heap of low AA hops added as late editions (20 mins and less) and got pretty good results. I can't see what you've got as a failure but there'll be plenty of blokes on here that'll have more experience and better ideas than me. Try bungin in some crystal as well she'll be right.

eventually Ill progress, but extracts can make great beers still and with far less time. Just can't take it that step further without all grain
I ended up getting rid of the wheat kit and put the following down

2 unhopped pale malt tins
1kg light DME
300g dry wheat

30g mosiac @30
15g citra @10
15g mosiac @10
10 g citra flame out
10g citra flame out
will dry hop with both also.
Holding it at around 18 degrees. currently smells like a 6.5% hop slap

How did the brew above go? I would be interested in having a go if it was a success.

Ended up pretty bloody delicious. Bit heady on the pour, not too sure why. But delicious all the same

This sounds good. I’m just starting out. Trying a pale ale with a can of APA and a can of wheat LME. Noticed you’ve used a shit load of malt - what’s the idea there? What was %alcohol? How much and when do you dry hop? Just curious to know what everyone is doing. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back