Not Enough Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railgun_livewire

Reaction score
Ok, after the success with my first brew I figured it was time to try my hand at a new kit - a Stout.

All was going well and the lessons I learned the first time 'round were very useful.
....until I spilled my little packet of yeast.

Having not sanitised my kitchen counter, I was too afraid to scrape up my accident and tip it into the fermenter.
So I just tipped in the remaining yeast from the packet, gave it a stir and crossed my fingers.

I'm guessing that I lost a little less than half...so 4g of the full 7g made it to the wort.
I was just wondering what effect this will have on the brew.

Cheers!

Hey Mitch,

Do you have another packet of yeast - it is probably worth pitching it if so.

The problem with under-pitching is that you can end up with an excessive lag time for things to get going and that you won't have enough yeast to get the job done. Some of the yeast when pitched does all the heavy lifting up front, gets tired and drops out, leaving the slower yeast to finish what has been started and clean up after the big guys.

if you don't have enough of either, you risk the yeast running out of puff before the job is done.

Those 7g packets are pretty small, I routinely pitch 11-12g packets, so going with only 4g is a third of my normal pitching rate.

Also, if you aren't doing it already, rehydrating your dry yeast in 10x it's weight of water helps to cut down the lag time.

So... you could be alright, but if it was me, I would be pitching another pack asap.

Cheers,

Brendo

I actually had the same thing happen to me a while ago, i snipped the corner off the packet of S04, and bloody accidently dropped the packet on the bench!
I didnt give it a 2nd thought, just swept it up and chucked it all in.... now that you mention it, bloody amazing it turned out fine...
Though i always keep the brewing area spotless.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

You're a lucky guy J1gsaw - I wasn't that game on my 2nd attempt lol.

12g of yeast Brendo? You're a machine!
Unfortunately I don't have any more yeast...unless I throw in a few grams of baker's.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

You're a lucky guy J1gsaw - I wasn't that game on my 2nd attempt lol.

12g of yeast Brendo? You're a machine!
Unfortunately I don't have any more yeast...unless I throw in a few grams of baker's.

12g is just the size that non-kit dry yeast comes in mate... not doing anything too far out there.

While you can use bakers yeast (and I haven't myself) I haven't heard the best feedback re taste using that method.

If you have time, you are probably best scooting over either to dave's in Greensbourough or Brewer's Den in Boronia, a few $$ will get you some nice fresh quality yeast and you will be good to go.

Cheers,

Brendo

Latest posts

Back