Not Another Mash Tun Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony M

Reaction score
I have been kicking around some ideas for an improved mash/lauter pot for some time and finally decided to get off my lazy backside and put them all together.
The first picture shows the 35L stainless pot with a wrap of 20mm rockwool for insulation fitted with20mm plywood lid and that thing sitting on top is a 240V barbeque motor that gets used about once a year. This motor drives the mash paddle at the frightening speed of 50 Rev/hour. The motor is replaced by an high speed manual crank for doughing in. The window in the lid was a waste of time as it fogs up instantly, so I turned it into a hatch.
Mash___Lauter_tun.jpg

This picture shows inside the pot with 25mm braid ($30.00/metre) and the mash paddle that scrapes the bottom so I can direct heat without making soggy toast.

P6140009.JPG

The motor runs during the entire mash and at the first try, I got a negative iodine test at 45 minutes and an 82% efficiency (using Jayse's formulae).
And the best of all?---The old tun with a full screen bottom would take over an hour to drain twice and would stick every time. Most frustrating. I drained this new one with the motor still running and did this in less than half an hour for two dumps. The runoff is not crystal clear like the old method but the beer (still in CC) doesn't taste like porridge. The paddle blades move gently enough and have sufficient clearance from the braid to leave a filter bed in place while still keeping the grain in suspension.

Nice piece of innovative work there Tony, I'd be interested to know how well the rockwool holds the heat in Mate.

cheers

Browndog

Top work Tony M. I think you will get a clear run off if you stop the motor about 15 mins before sparging and recirculate some of the liqour. :D

Hi Tony,

nice work :)

I just wanna show you my pics, because I had almost the same idea:

1535.JPG

1537.JPG

I never would give it away anymore :p

Cheers :party:

Whoa! You guys are pro! lol

Can't wait to get into AG - just need some money!

when i saw the old coopers gear at leabrook they had something like that running as well. i think they sprinkled sparge water on it as it ran. was a few years ago though.
edit - and awesome work! I remember Zwickle posting that pic a while back. My BBQ spit motor may lead a useful life afterall! Good work.

Hi folks,

with that systems you only can do batch sparging, but it works really good.

If you do sparge on the fly, the wort will certainly find a way down the wall of the pot, shortest way out.
Rather you do batch sprging to homogenize the solution before lautering.

Zwickel,
I think you're a better welder than I.

I think you're a better welder than I.
thank you for the compliment, but yours looks much more professional than mine :)

Ive no skill for steel works, dont care much about design, it just has to work :)

tony,can you post more pics or give us all a run down on how the mash stirrer? is setup/fixed/mounted. cheers...spog

Back