Not A Dark Beer Fan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
From my younger days I was never one to drink darker beers...stout and the like
I just didnt like the taste. Since then have stuck with lagers and pales.
Now that Im back into the brewing after a long lay off Ive decided to try as many different beers as posible to
increase my understand and awareness of whats out there...though this can be difficult in the bush with a limited variety available.
Anyway a few months back I took a chance and grabbed a Coopers Stout for the bottlo.....
well that lasted 3 sips and went down the drain...Ok I still cant drink stout...
Right now I am sitting with a James Squire Amber Ale.....seems to me I am NOT a dark beer fan.....all I can taste is burnt crap..
Its a shame because I believe that its probably a very good beer within its style, nice body,head,feel..but not for me.

Oh well I know what not to brew.... :icon_vomit:

I honestly pity guys who hate dark beers. You're missing out on some great stuff!

Try serving it cool, not completely chilled. It's a drink for sitting by a fireplace in the middle of winter IMO. (but it still goes down great in summer).

Or try cutting your teeth on something like tooheys old. (but that's pretty roasty).
Kozel Dark, from Dan Murphy's or 1st Choice, is a good one too.

Maybe you should change your forum name then :drinks: :D

See if you can get some Squires IPA now that is a lovely drop you get the malt and hops no burnt taste at all.

Edit: forget that JS IPA is not a dark beer at all not that JS Amber is.

Remember the Hobgoblin advert "Afraid of the dark Lagerboy ?"

I didn't start drinking Stout till last year when I bought 8 and was determined to drink them all. It is a problem as I don't really drink coffee or like smoked foods, so everything just tastes burnt and like espresso.
I do appreciate them now though, esp after two comps where I had to judge RIS.

Dark beers really do have a lot to offer though, and when I was getting into beer it was Tooheys Old that was my first pick of the taps.

I wouldn't even consider JSAA a dark beer

Maybe try some Monteiths Doppelbock Winter Ale, you can get is at Dan Murphys sometimes. A darker beer without the roastiness of a stout.

I was the same- couldn't understand dark beers- why drink burnt flavours etc? I'm gradually warming to them though. My suggestion- try a couple of belgian dubbels. Darker, but without the burnt notes etc... I'm beginning to appreciate dark beers more now, but i'd generally take a pale beer over a darker one.

I'm with Pete - I feel sorry for those who don't like dark beers. My first legal beer was Guinness. I'm a bit that way with boring pilsners (great within style, but not a lot of sustance).

I love the Zwyiec Porter and at $20 at dans for a sixer and 9% or some stupidly high abv, it's good bang for buck (or headbang for buck ast the case may be).

Also liking Rye at the moment and the brown ale I bottled last night (ooh, just reminded me to update my signature) has a minor amount of smoked malt in it and tastes pretty spesh.

I'm also fortunate in that I know a lot of dark beer drinkers, so I can take it to functions, dinners and the like and not be met with blank stares.

Goomba

If Youngs Double Chocolate Stout doesn't win you over, nothing will

Get your hands on a Southern Tier Iniquity or Brew Dog Zeitgeist. Beautifully smooth and malty dark beers without the burnt roastiness or bitterness.

Oh man Zwyeic porter is freakin awesome!
I think I grasp what the OP said about the "burnt crap" taste of the Coopers Stout, but I love the stuff.
Plenty of other stouts, dark lagers, porters, dubbel's, brown ales, etc out there to try.

Hunter Brewing Co's Oyster Stout is one of my faves.
Cascade Stout is one of my least faves - just boring IMO. More choc than roast to me.

Leffe Bruin - up there near the top of my list too..

You could always try a portagaff - add some lemonade to your stout. You might find it makes it drinkable now and your palate may gradually evolve so you enjoy it straight

Yeah + 1 for Youngs Double Choc stout (if you can get near a Dans they usually have some) - taste some straight out of the fridge, then keep tasting as you let it warm a little, can take you quite on a journey.

I agree White bunny dark ale would be a good one to try as well, a good crossover

have a crack at white rabbit dark ale. very smooth beer with no hint of 'burnt crap'.
Do this yum_beer!!

For the longest time I never liked darker beers, even JS Amber Ale just like you but I loved White Rabbit dark ale. It was the straw that broke the camel's back and now I love them all.

meh you either like them or you don't. jumping from an american light lager to a RIS or FES is a big step...I like dark beers but they tend to last a long time in my house as I prefer lighter quaffers and don't enjoy too much roast. I do have a RIS fermenting now though :D

there are a lot of darker beers in the middle with a malt focus not a roast focus. Alt, Vienna, Oktoberfest, Cal Common, Dark Mild, darker bitters on the lighter side through to ABA, Dunkels stouts, porters, Bocks...a Schwartzbier is a great crossover, dark beer that tastes like a pils.

have a crack at white rabbit dark ale. very smooth beer with no hint of 'burnt crap'.

+lots.
I went to my local yesterday thinking I'd grab a sixer of them. Walked out with a slab. :)

My go to beer when i was 18 or so was always Guinness or Toohey's old... these days I tend to dodge the dark beers, as i'm not the hugest fan of roasty flavours. Lean more towards IPAs and ESBs. Still have the occasional porter here and there and Black IPA anytime i can get one (but BIPAs don't really count).

Strange thing is, probably my best ever beer was a Baltic Porter... Nailed the guideliness i reckon, and got great feedback by those that tried it... but it lasted 9months on tap... just rarely felt like the flavours i was getting. Chocolate, Coffee and Port/dark fruit. When in the mood, was very nice.

So now, i'm trying to "darken" my palate at the moment by planning some winter beers to get into the darkies, not too roasty just stepping it up into the edges of dark beer with the hope of doing some RIStouts and Robust Porters next year. Got a Northern English Brown fermenting and and American Brown cubed. Did up a recipe for a Brown Porter and Belgian Dark Strong, which will be next brew day in a couple of weeks.

From my younger days I was never one to drink darker beers...stout and the like
I just didnt like the taste. Since then have stuck with lagers and pales.
Now that Im back into the brewing after a long lay off Ive decided to try as many different beers as posible to
increase my understand and awareness of whats out there...though this can be difficult in the bush with a limited variety available.
Anyway a few months back I took a chance and grabbed a Coopers Stout for the bottlo.....
well that lasted 3 sips and went down the drain...Ok I still cant drink stout...
Right now I am sitting with a James Squire Amber Ale.....seems to me I am NOT a dark beer fan.....all I can taste is burnt crap..
Its a shame because I believe that its probably a very good beer within its style, nice body,head,feel..but not for me.

Oh well I know what not to brew.... :icon_vomit:

I dont really understand what your point is here Yum.
Are you trying to like dark beers for someone else's sake? or trying to be convinced what you dont like is good because someone else says so?
For me, there's not enough time or money to brew that way.
Brew what you like to drink mate. There's a gazilion beers out there to try.
Maybe look at the BJCP guide lines and inch your way up the scale of dark/ roastiness till you hit your personal limit. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Latest posts

Back