Nostalgia (the beers we left behind)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Dog

Beer
Reaction score
Was back in England last month and had Brakspear on tap for the first time since the old brewery closed. For the 10 years or so I lived in or near London it was my beer of choice. Gorgeous malt and hop balance with a biting, refreshing, lingering bitterness. I've never got close to cloning it.

But now it was shit. Mediocre, boring, tame. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't me as the Butcombe I had back in my old stomping grounds was just as excellent as ever.

It got me thinking about beers that were, but are no more Good and bad. Newquay steam lager (thankfully defunct) was probably the worst beer i'd had until I tried a bud.

Being an ex-pat Pom my nostalgia is probably different from many on this site, but wondered if anyone cared to share theirs and their attempts to recreate?

Budvar? Fresh it is delicious.

Queenstown circa 2001, this little brewpub called "The Loaded Hog" had this beer called "Hogs Gold". I hadn't been exposed to a large variety of beers at this point in my career.. but it was like a slice of heaven in a stein glass.

Honey-like flavour, good head all the way to the bottom of the glass, stayed cold the whole time, non-bloating.. it was a miracle ale by all accounts.

Alas, not the same beer on my next trip there a couple years later. I haven't attempted to recreate.

Seattle 1983... Red Hook Ale was full-bodied, cloudy, and delicious. Then they changed to 'red Hook ESB' ... still good, but filtered and clear. Then somewhere they lost their way.
Granted, if in Seattle and I can't see anything else I would like to have, I'll order a Red Hook. But it has gone from a frontrunner to bringing up the rear of the pack.

I remember when Newcastle Brown Ale had a huge hop kick, heaps of malt and was locally known as "journey into space" after a popular radio show. Now it's just sweet standard-strength lolly water.

All James Squire beers, particularly the Pilsner. If an exposé revealed they started cutting their beers at a 3:1 ratio or beer to distilled water a few years back I wouldn't bat an eye.

The New Old Lompoc (brewpub in Portland, Oregon) had an amber ale with a good whack of rye that was deeeee-licious. They no longer brew it, I no longer live there, so I'm having a go at something that hits that same taste spot for me. I've never found any other beer that's whacked that nail on the head so well.

And Snowdog you tell a sad and true story. The Redhook that was is not the Redhook that is. At all.

I remember Monteith's as a decent draught beer. Off tap in Greymouth NZ it was malty with easy drinking bitterness and aroma. Very easy to drink 1 or 4.

Definitely a different drink now.

I used to really like Carlton on tap from the old Fortitude Valley brewery that was originally Bulimba. Quite bitter and pale pale gold, very different to the XXXX of the day.

They did a batch of Bulimba Gold Top in cans a couple of years ago to the original recipe but of course constrained by ingredients available in 2011, and they almost nailed the old Carlton. I'm not confident that I've got another 35 years to hang around for the next lot :p

Dave70 said:
All James Squire beers, particularly the Pilsner. If an exposé revealed they started cutting their beers at a 3:1 ratio or beer to distilled water a few years back I wouldn't bat an eye.
+1
Other than hop thief I now avoid JS beers. Even on draft they're bland, but used to be so much more. Its like craft beer for people who dont want to drink craft beer.

I have fond memories of JS Wheat Beer, and the fruity Coopers Sparkling in the stubby bottle with the rip-top lid.

One is no longer made, and the other is not quite the same any longer.

Oh, to be able to culture the mixed yeast strain from an old bottle of Coopers... Aaahhh, dream on...

Gage Roads IPA. Picture of neptune, the sea god on the bottle. Now its been renamed Sleeping giant IPA and has none of the hop flavour i remember

Also James Squire seasonal releases. Who else remembers the winterberry(?) ale release? would be going back a while now..it was before the sundowner became a mainstay in thier range, and even then i dont see that anymore..

Fat Yak.

It once was delicious.

It remains good when compared to other mass produced beers, and still buy it when I'm running low on home brew, but not as good as it once was.

I remember when I was starting to get into craft beer, LCPA was incredible. Lots of amazing cascade flavour and they used to use a buttload of galaxy in the hopback.

It's a shadow of it's former self.

ADNAMS!! Southwold Bitter.

I grew-up on the stuff...Hand-pulled through a proper beer-engine.

I would go to the local pub (The Spread Eagle in Erpingham, Norfolk) with my old man on a Sunday morning before lunch. The day my Dad finally ordered a "full" pint for me was the day I knew I'd hit manhood (I think I was 14?). Mum had other ideas, but by that time, I was already pissed & Dad copped it in the neck BIG-Time!

The publican would not let you put your hand on the glass unless HE was satisfied with the pint he served you.

I remember the beer.....I remember the pub....I remember the smoky, close atmosphere....I remember the brewery (Woodforde's) that started in the stables of the pub out the back yard....

Where do I find that again????

rheffera said:
Gage Roads IPA. Picture of neptune, the sea god on the bottle. Now its been renamed Sleeping giant IPA and has none of the hop flavour i remember

Also James Squire seasonal releases. Who else remembers the winterberry(?) ale release? would be going back a while now..it was before the sundowner became a mainstay in thier range, and even then i dont see that anymore..
You mean this one? Couldn't agree more. Why did they ever **** around with it.

IPA.jpg

Dave70 said:
You mean this one? Couldn't agree more. Why did they ever **** around with it.

IPA.jpg
Thats the one. Fond memories

I have a fond memory of Tooth's Brown Ale (aka Kent Old Brown) and KB lager.

Have not seen either for over 2 years.

Latest posts

Back