Northdown Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joel said:
So, Northdown can be used for bittering and also for aroma/flavour?

I've been using mainly Northern Brewer for bittering, how do the two compare?
[post="113979"][/post]​

Joel.

At around 7% AAU they're perfectly fine for bittering. Great all-round hop. :beerbang:

I've got Scottish 70' in the fermenter at the moment that's 100% Northdown. :)

Warren -

I guess I'll just have to make a brew with them! I really like the bitterness I've got from Northern Brewer in the past. I haven't experienced too many hops yet and I've found that the descriptions aren't descriptive enough, so I'm trying to get a feel for what Northdown may be like based on limited experience... I like the spicy/earthy type bitterness and flavour. I've found I have to be sparing with hops like EKG as the flowery/sweet hop flavour can be a bit off putting, but not too bad in small amounts (comes from my Aussie beer trained palate...).

They are a finer, floral type aroma but the best way to find out is try them in a brew.

what have you got to loose ?

cheers

Tony said:
They are a finer, floral type aroma but the best way to find out is try them in a brew.

what have you got to loose ?

cheers
[post="114050"][/post]​
Tony

I have made your Special Bitter recipe using the Northdown hop for both bittering and dry hoping. I've just bottled it today and, from just trying the wort, WOW am I in for a fantastic beer!!!

Thank you Tony.

Cheers

Steve

:D

another happy customer

Just finnished a bottle myself.

not bad at all :)

It has an aroma that i have never got with any other hop and i have tried most of em.

It can only be described as "Sweet floral, fresh and crisp"

cheers

Hey Tony

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Steve

Back