Northdown Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I have used them in a bitter for the first time and they are great in my opinion.

My wife tried the bitter (95% MO ale, 5% TF crystal) that was made with a bit of challenger and mostly northdown and she smiled. She said.....

"thats the flavor ive been looking for in a beer since you started this brewing buisness, thats nice"

So looks like i kabe to get more northdown, not that im complaining, i like it too :)

cheers

I like them too Tony

Well this month anyway <_<

Batz

used them in a couple of APA's and enjoyed them too!!! very nice hop.

Cheers, Jj

I really like this hop too, and it smells fantastic!

Did an all Northdown pale ale last year using plugs, tasted great, but what I remember most is the "stunning" aroma! :beerbang:

Try mixing them up with some Challenger.

Tastes even better again. :) Yep, the new wave of English hops get my vote. :beerbang:

Just don't mention Progress. <_<

Warren -

well thats what i did with them, mixed with challenger.

They have a great fresh taste i recon and the aroma is great :D

I just scored 8 northdown hops and have ordered 200g pellets for some nice bitters in the keg.

cheers

G'Day Warrenlw63,

How did you combine the two? As in bittering, flavour etc

Might give this a go real soon!

BB

warrenlw63 said:
Try mixing them up with some Challenger.

Tastes even better again. :) Yep, the new wave of English hops get my vote. :beerbang:

Warren -
[post="108166"][/post]​

Sorry about the hijack here :(

have you tried Target and Challenger together Warren?
I seem to recall you had a liking for Target.

On topic again, were they pellets or plugs Tony?

C&B
TDA

Big fan of Northdown. I also tend to mix them with Challenger. Recently bottled two beers, an ESB and a Spec Bitter that used a combo of Target, Challenger N'down and EKG. Very happy with both beers :) I've only used Target as a bittering hop but have used it in almost every Brit style beer I've made and have liked the results.

Northdown is a winner though for sure. Congrats on the recent results Tony by the way :)

Shawn.

TDA.

Had similar results to Shawn. My own personal opinion is that Target is the best "bang-for-buck" bittering hop you can use, that gives a firm, clean bitterness. :beerbang:

Others MMV of course. :unsure:

Warren -

For all the pommie bitters I've made, I've never used it - Time to change that I reckon, especialy after the unwelcomed floral notes my last lot of fuggles seems to have added to my bitter...

cheers Ross

warrenlw63 said:
[post="108166"][/post]​
Glad to hear I'm not the only person who hates Progress hops. Every time I use them I get a nasty "cheap perfume" character in the beer which I don't much care for.

Northdown gets my unqualified thumbs up. :super:

Northdown + Target + EKG is even better, just keep the Target to a fairly small percentage and bittering only.

colinw said:
warrenlw63 said:
[post="108166"][/post]​
Glad to hear I'm not the only person who hates Progress hops. Every time I use them I get a nasty "cheap perfume" character in the beer which I don't much care for.

[post="108206"][/post]​

Colin, This is exactly what I got in my last beer - but the only change was my new batch of fuggles - I pray I wasnt given progess in error!!!

cheers Ross

Ross said:
colinw said:
warrenlw63 said:
[post="108166"][/post]​

[post="108206"][/post]​

Colin, This is exactly what I got in my last beer - but the only change was my new batch of fuggles - I pray I wasnt given progess in error!!!

cheers Ross
[post="108208"][/post]​
Come to think of it, I've had that with Fuggles as well, although not as pronounced as with Progress. The Fuggles case was solved by dry hopping with some Saaz plugs, which covered it up with a nice spicy aroma.

The aroma from Progress was just plain gag inducing, and took forever to age out and become drinkable. Not everyone who tried the beer found it objectionable.

The character of Progress reminded me of blackberry skins or something similar. Just very harsh and unpleasant.

That said after several months of ageing it seemed to mellow out and give the beer an agreeable character with a darker crystal malt.

The problem is you make an English Bitter expecting to be able to tap the keg after 2 weeks not 3 months. <_<

Progress, never has a hop had such a self-contradictory name. :ph34r:

Warren -

Yeah, about 3 months was what it took for me as well. Come to think of it the beer had a slight astringency early on as well, but I blamed an oversparge at the time.

Hey TDA, they were pellets. I got an 80 g bag to try so its what i used.

and thanks shawn :D :D

and i told a lie, it wasnt challenger i used with them, it was EKG.

here is my recipe. Gee ive been posting some of these today.

Tonys Special Bitter

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 45.00 Wort Size (L): 45.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.00
Anticipated OG: 1.044 Plato: 10.86
Anticipated EBC: 13.3
Anticipated IBU: 34.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.0 7.20 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 5
5.0 0.40 kg. TF Torrefied Wheat UK 1.035 5
5.0 0.40 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 145

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
20.00 g. Wye Northdown Pellet 7.20 10.3 First WH
38.00 g. Wye Northdown Pellet 7.20 17.9 60 min.
30.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.20 6.2 20 min.
30.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.20 0.0 0 min.
22.00 g. Wye Northdown Pellet 7.20 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale

cheers

So, Northdown can be used for bittering and also for aroma/flavour?

I've been using mainly Northern Brewer for bittering, how do the two compare?

G'Day Joel,

A certain HBS tried to sell me Nth Down telling me they are the same as Nth Brewer.

However, having used both and loving them both I thought he should really stop smoking them! <_< That aside it is a great dual purpose hop.

I dont know what others have think, but I have found them quite different.

I first tried them (Nth Down) as a sample glass at Goliath (not the same as above HBS) and I couln't pick the hop, it seemed quite unique, particularly the aroma, stunning :excl:

My next brew will be a combination of Nth Down and Challenger as above posts have inspired me to try this.
Any suggestion welcome.

Cheers

BB

Back