Noob mistake - 1 carbo drop instead of 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElBandito

Reaction score
Hiya

I'm new to brewing and realised with horror that the two brews that I bottled the other day (from kits - still getting a feel for it) were bottled into plastic 740ml bottles with only 1 carbo drop per bottle.

I pulled out a bottle and poured it; and there was a /little/ life in. Small bubbles. But nothing with 'fizz'. So perhaps I panicked a little and went through and opened each bottle briefly, dropped another carbo drop in and closed them again. All 59 of them.

Have I ruined my brews? Will they recover? Am I doomed to drink flat beer? Any feedback, even if it's just 'dang, fool' is appreciated. :D

How long since you bottled ElBandito? Sounds more than likely though that this batch will be a "learning experience" for you :D

Batch 1: 6 or 7 days
Batch 2: 4 days or so

... my record keeping also needs work. Heh.

I'll label it 'learning' certainly. :D

Always found that one carb drop in a tallie was enough. Some would say 2. Anyway what is done is done. Leave them for a few weeks and see how they turn out

Cheers

I don't see any problem. Risk of contamination maybe.

Do yourself a favour: get a cube from Bunnings and start bulk priming. You'll get a much more consistent end product.

Did exactly the same thing on one of my first kit brews. Opened the whole batch and dropped another carb drop in. Worked out fine.

ElBandito

Keep in mind that secondary carbonation, the one occuring in the bottle, can take up to two weeks to complete (sometimes a bit longer in colder periods). In both cases it's likely that you saw very little carbonation as the 1st drop may not have been completely comsumed by the yeasties.

Had you let the bottles alone you would have found greater carbonation, but still less than what you're expecting. Like RoverJ says, some people find one carb drop to be enough

Now that you've added extra drops: provided the environment you opened the bottles within was relatively clean and they were only open for a short time, there would almost zero chance of contamination. Give the bottles another week or two and they should be fine :)

there stuffed, please mail me so that i can pick up for destruction!

honestly, there fine, the best way to learn is usually the hard way

+1 for bulk priming, here is a handy calculater i use whenever i feel the need to bottle a batch

Yeah, dont bother trying to infect them. Just leave them 2 weeks, will be lightly carbed but fine!

Latest posts

Back