Re-capping Russian Imperial Stout

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Muz

Well-Known Member
Joined
14/11/17
Messages
104
Reaction score
14
I've got a RIS in bottles in my cupboard and I'm having issues with carbonation. I'm considering popping the caps, adding some CBC-1 yeast and then re-capping. Or maybe I just need to be patient?

The beer is a RIS which I brewed a few months back. The yeast is Wyeast 1968 and it was in the fermenter for about 4 weeks. Toward the end I added oak chips and bourbon (shouldn't impact bottle carbing right?). It smells and tastes amazing. I bottled it about four weeks back. I individually primed each bottle so I'm confident there is enough dex in each to carb it up nicely.

I cracked one last night and there was an initial small hiss when I opened the bottle. The beer poured completely flat though. My guess is that all the yeast dropped out in the long ferment. 1968 flocs well so that would make sense.

Now I need to work out if I should pop the lids and add some CBC-1 or if I just need to be patient with them. The hiss indicates something is happening right? So there is some yeast in there. Do I just give it time?

I realise there is probably no right answer to this. Just want to know what others would do in this situation.

Thanks.
 

razz

Pro
Pro
Joined
30/10/05
Messages
3,266
Reaction score
302
Let it go another month Muz.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Muz

Vini2ton

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/4/14
Messages
574
Reaction score
225
Maybe just do some of them, and see what happens down the track.
 

Muz

Well-Known Member
Joined
14/11/17
Messages
104
Reaction score
14
@Vini2ton yeah, I did think about that. It increases my odds of at least some of them carbing up.
 

razz

Pro
Pro
Joined
30/10/05
Messages
3,266
Reaction score
302
I think you are maybe ignoring the facts Muz. Your initial thoughts, on opening a bottle, were that it needs yeast. If it needed more yeast you probably would have had no hiss what soever. You know you dosed each bottle correctly and you have a highly flocculant yeast, but it will still have enough carry over yeast to re-ferment each bottle.
Patients grasshopper.
 

Muz

Well-Known Member
Joined
14/11/17
Messages
104
Reaction score
14
Thanks @razz. You're right. If there is some yeast in there it must just need time.
 

MHB

Well-Known Member
Joined
1/10/05
Messages
5,876
Reaction score
3,298
Location
Newcastle
What's your alcohol content 1968 is good up to about 9% ABV, but over 7.5-8 can be pretty sluggish going the extra.
Mark
 
  • Like
Reactions: Muz

Muz

Well-Known Member
Joined
14/11/17
Messages
104
Reaction score
14
It 9.8%
 

MHB

Well-Known Member
Joined
1/10/05
Messages
5,876
Reaction score
3,298
Location
Newcastle
I take it you have worked out the problem, issue is that CBC-1 can go out to 12%.
Before bottle conditioning it might be safer to put some in 1 bottle, leave the cap off (cotton ball or a bit of glad wrap) give it a week somewhere warm and see where it finishes with your bottling yeast, there could be a fair bit more fermentable in there than you expect.
Or just wait (and wait...) it could go a bit further with time, being warmer would help, maybe a week in the fermenting fridge at a nice steady 20-23oC will give it the legs it needs.
Mark
 

akx

Well-Known Member
Joined
24/5/17
Messages
117
Reaction score
34
Location
Gordon NSW
Here's my anec-data. Had a batch of 8% Saison. Yeast should have been able to handle that condition and carb up bottles. It didn't. I waited, I warmed, I swirled. Bottles were half carbed and sweet. I opened maybe a third, and added some us-05 and recapped. Those bottles turned out great. The rest - not so much.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Muz
Top