Non-rental Nitrogen Gas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro777

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone was aware of where to buy a small Nitrogen gas bottle (non-rental). I am not keen on paying high rentals and would prefer to simply own it. Any suggestions? I am located in Queensland, Brisbane.

Also, where to refill the bottle. ;)

I put a Nitro setup together last month, you can't get your own bottle <_< . I sent you a private message with some info, phone numbers etc that might help.

I put a Nitro setup together last month, you can't get your own bottle <_< . I sent you a private message with some info, phone numbers etc that might help.

Hi, I'm also interested in putting together a nitro setup. Could you share any info? It would be appreciated. Regardsrl

Actually to clarify.

NO2 is an oxidant, it is not used as a booster in cars. It is a byproduct of poor combustion.

N2O (nitrous oxide) - otherwise known as "NOS", is the performance booster used in racing cars.

NO2 will kill you horribly and quickly in a brew.

N2O would be interesting in a brew - some energy drinks like Mother I believe are selling N2O "carbonated" style energy drinks - it probably does nothing except add to the "hardcore" factor - yet we do know that Guinness uses N2 in their mix, N2O would probably be interesting to try to see what affects it has on mouthfeel, etc.

Also N2O is has mild preservative properties, which is one reason it's used for whipping cream. It may actually increase the shelf life of a brew.

Food for thought.

Actually to clarify.

NO2 is an oxidant, it is not used as a booster in cars. It is a byproduct of poor combustion.

N2O (nitrous oxide) - otherwise known as "NOS", is the performance booster used in racing cars.

NO2 will kill you horribly and quickly in a brew.

N2O would be interesting in a brew - some energy drinks like Mother I believe are selling N2O "carbonated" style energy drinks - it probably does nothing except add to the "hardcore" factor - yet we do know that Guinness uses N2 in their mix, N2O would probably be interesting to try to see what affects it has on mouthfeel, etc.

Also N2O is has mild preservative properties, which is one reason it's used for whipping cream. It may actually increase the shelf life of a brew.

Food for thought.

You sure it's N2O? I thought it would be illegal to do, and normally you would use N2 for beer.

QldKev

Yes I am sure it is N2O for nitrous oxide and NO2 is nitrogen dioxide.

N2O is not restricted under PACIA guidelines nor is it on any of the other federal lists, so it is legal to purchase without any license issues.

Whether or not a gas company will supply it to you depends on their discretion. I've had access to N2O before through regular joes who have gotten tanks from gas suppliers for specialty uses (not for anesthetic use!) and it was no big deal so long as you aren't a 17 year old raver wearing fat pants.

Given the ease of obtaining the actual N2O whippit cartridges, it'd probably be easier to gas up a keg or party keg using a whippit adapter just to see what the effects are like on a small batch first.

Yes I am sure it is N2O for nitrous oxide and NO2 is nitrogen dioxide.

N2O is not restricted under PACIA guidelines nor is it on any of the other federal lists, so it is legal to purchase without any license issues.

Whether or not a gas company will supply it to you depends on their discretion. I've had access to N2O before through regular joes who have gotten tanks from gas suppliers for specialty uses (not for anesthetic use!) and it was no big deal so long as you aren't a 17 year old raver wearing fat pants.

Given the ease of obtaining the actual N2O whippit cartridges, it'd probably be easier to gas up a keg or party keg using a whippit adapter just to see what the effects are like on a small batch first.

Sorry I didn't make my self clear in the last post

I agree N20 is nitrous oxide, and I agree no problems getting it.

But I though beer had N2, ie Nitrogen as the agent for a creamy head?

And I though if someone got caught injecting beer with N2O commercially it would be illegal. (you could say no laughing matter)

QldKev

Sorry I didn't make my self clear in the last post

I agree N20 is nitrous oxide, and I agree no problems getting it.

But I though beer had N2, ie Nitrogen as the agent for a creamy head?

And I though if someone got caught injecting beer with N2O commercially it would be illegal. (you could say no laughing matter)

QldKev

Traditionally beer is CO2, guiness and some other brands use CO2/N2 mixes, I have not heard of any commercial brews with N2O. However it would be legal to sell. As stated before - I have seen energy drinks that use N2O or N2O blends - you can buy them at woolies :) The only time it would be considered illegal is if they misrepresented the product, ie they claimed it was CO2 or N2 or something else but used N2O for cost reasons (although N2O is significantly more expensive than N2 so this is not really going to happen)

Latest posts

Back