Nochill Spice Additions For Belgian Witbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi

Reaction score
I'm kind of embarassed by the fact that I haven't ever done a belgian wit before, but that's all about to change, however since I nochill I'm not to sure how to approach the spicing. Apparently spices are easy to 'over cook' (so to speak) and therefore usually get thrown in pretty late into the boil. Nochilling influences late hopping additions so I imagine it will influence 'late spicing' too.

Anyway to the point - how do nochillers approach the spicing of their wit's?

BTW My currently plans for the grist is about 55% Pils, 40% Unmalted wheat & 5% instant oats - thoughts also welcomed.

I haven't done a wit but I no chilled a spiced Siason and didn't make any adjustments. The only feedback I got from the judges was over carbonation. Damn Coopers drops.

Of course you could always use this method.

I haven't done a wit but I no chilled a spiced Siason and didn't make any adjustments. The only feedback I got from the judges was over carbonation. Damn Coopers drops.

Of course you could always use this method.

Thanks Shane & Stux, I should have thought of that. Just out of curiosity Shane, what spices did you add to your Saison and at what time did you add them?

Thanks Shane & Stux, I should have thought of that. Just out of curiosity Shane, what spices did you add to your Saison and at what time did you add them?

No worries Jimi,

I used 1g Grains of Paradise (Kind of like black pepper, but better) and 19g Indian Coriander Seed, ground up together @ 5 Minutes (to end of Boil). That was for a 23L batch.

Note: My original intention was to add citrus zest at the same time, but I forgot. So I have no comments on how that might handle no chilling.

No worries Jimi,

I used 1g Grains of Paradise (Kind of like black pepper, but better) and 19g Indian Coriander Seed, ground up together @ 5 Minutes (to end of Boil). That was for a 23L batch.

Note: My original intention was to add citrus zest at the same time, but I forgot. So I have no comments on how that might handle no chilling.

Cheers Shane,

My other question for anyone whose done a wit with a grist like I plan to is how sticky is it going to be with the oats and unmalted wheat?
There seems to be some who argue for a cereal mash and others who have kept to just a single infusion when using this wheat - any preferences?

Done this one a couple of years ago and must do it again for summer, an absolute cracker

No Chill

3.0kg Galaxy
2.0 Unmalted Wheat
350gm Rolled Oats
4 plugs Saaz 60 minutes
10 grams tettnanger 15 minutes
17 grams Corriander 10 minutes
8 grams Corriander 0 minutes
17 grams Orange Peel 20 minutes
18 grams orange Peel 0 minutes

IBU's - 14.2

OG - 1.045
FG - 1.010

Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale

Mashed at 65c for 90 minutes

Fermented 25c

Rook

Done this one a couple of years ago and must do it again for summer, an absolute cracker

No Chill

3.0kg Galaxy
2.0 Unmalted Wheat
350gm Rolled Oats
4 plugs Saaz 60 minutes
10 grams tettnanger 15 minutes
17 grams Corriander 10 minutes
8 grams Corriander 0 minutes
17 grams Orange Peel 20 minutes
18 grams orange Peel 0 minutes

IBU's - 14.2

OG - 1.045
FG - 1.010

Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale

Mashed at 65c for 90 minutes

Fermented 25c

Rook

Hi Rook
Looks quite similar to what I've planned. I take it that you used a single infusion, did you notice any change in efficiency?
Are those spice additions true to boil time or are they altered at all for the nochilling?
Also do you go fresh peel or dried?

I did a no chill wit last year. Made no adjustments, and it was a great beer. But im one of those few brewers who dont adjust hops for no chill either, so take my .02c with a grain of salt.

Hi Rook
Looks quite similar to what I've planned. I take it that you used a single infusion, did you notice any change in efficiency?
Are those spice additions true to boil time or are they altered at all for the nochilling?
Also do you go fresh peel or dried?

jimi

single infusion
no change to efficiency 70%
true to boil time
FRESH FRESH FRESH :D

rook

Just don't stew the orange peel in the no-chill cube - make sure you leave it in the kettle :)

I did one late last year where i put the peel in the no-chill fermenter and pitched the next day - that still tastes like marmalade.

Just don't stew the orange peel in the no-chill cube - make sure you leave it in the kettle :)

I did one late last year where i put the peel in the no-chill fermenter and pitched the next day - that still tastes like marmalade.

Point noted DJR, but out of curiosity how excessive was the marmalade and how much orange did you add? I ask as I'm actually trying to add a little more marmalade to a ESB and you've got me thinking sideways ;)

Point noted DJR, but out of curiosity how excessive was the marmalade and how much orange did you add? I ask as I'm actually trying to add a little more marmalade to a ESB and you've got me thinking sideways ;)

About 15-20g worth chucked in the fermenter before chucking the 80c wort in there overnight. I didn't think too much of it at the time but the beer is still a bit undrinkable unless you like bitter marmalade.

The orange peel i used was the dry chinese stuff, proper dried seville may have been better

I made one of these a few months ago, and needed to add some more orange & spice based on tastings out of the fermenter, so I boiled the extra peel & coriander in some water in the microwave, cooled and added to the fermentor. You could be conservative with your spicing in the boil and if you need to add more later you can.

Cheers Shane,

My other question for anyone whose done a wit with a grist like I plan to is how sticky is it going to be with the oats and unmalted wheat?
There seems to be some who argue for a cereal mash and others who have kept to just a single infusion when using this wheat - any preferences?
I made a wit beer a few weeks ago. 50% pils malt, 45% flaked wheat, 5% oats. I've had previous experience with stuck sparge which is no fun, the way to avoid is - step mash - 30 min at 50 deg - followed by 30 min at 67 degrees. And add about 200g of rice hulls. I've tried this approach twice, and no more stuck sparge. I usually do a single infusion in my rubbermaid esky, in this case I did the stepped mash in my kettle on the stove, then transferred to the esky for sparging.

Only problem is that I got low efficiency - I usually get 75%, in this case I was aiming for OG 1049 after boil, and got only 1042 (about 64% :( ). Maybe this is because of all the adjuncts, if enzymes are diluted perhaps it needs a longer saccharification rest. But I'm only guessing - but I will have to try longer next time.

BTW recipe was:
2.5kg pils
2.25kg flaked wheat
0.25kg rolled oats

hallertau to 20IBU @ 60 min
25g crushed coriander seed @ 5 min
1 lime zest @ 5min
1 mandarin zest @ 5 min
1 tangelo zest @ 5 min.

Bottled this a week and a half ago, opened a bottle on the weekend after only 7 days in the bottle, and while only 50% carbed, the taste was delicious - very close to real Hoergaarden.

Latest posts

Back