No Whirflock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
Brewed a vienna larger yesterday but didn't put a whirflock tablet in the boil (ran out).

will this affect the tast ?

I chilled and cubed it overnight (put it into the fermentation fridge @ 6 deg ) transferred it to the fermentor this morning and pitched yeast. I do this with all of my largers and noticed it is a lot hazier than normal.

I don't normally use finnings but this time I think I will have too

I did the same with an ale once and it never cleared after weeks even using finings. Whirfloc plays the biggest part for clarity I've found. As for flavor difference I couldnt say.

i recently made a hoppy ale and didnt have any whirlfloc and it was bloody cloudy. I used gelatine and waited 2 weeks and the beer cleared, it certainly wasnt Krystal but it was pale and looked like hop haze instead of porridge.

RAD1 said:
Lager mate.

To answer your question, no. It'll be fine taste wise. Just let it settle out once fermented. Might still be hazy, but you could try gelatin.

Just close your eyes when you drink it. And get some more kettle finings

While I like brewbrite at the tail end of boil, you could save the day with polyclar (PVPP) at crashing time. Or at least improve it quite a bit.

Certainly shouldn't affect the taste. Given that it is a lager, if you do store it under proper lagering conditions it should clear over time. But it will probably take quite a while to drop clear. As with most things lager, time is your friend...

the number of times I've forgotten the whirfloc exceeds the number of children I have many fold and my kids with me and the boss would only be short a player or two of fielding a cricket team. Unless it's going to show it'll be fine!

I don't bother with ales. I get clear enough without the whirlfloc.
I have just however realised i forgot to put some in to the pilsener i brewed on friday. Ill look b into pvpp.

Gelatine is mainly aimed at dropping yeast out, which isn't gonna be any different to a non-whirlfloc batch anyway. I think it does help a little with other haze forming things like proteins, but I find Polyclar PVPP works much better for that purpose.

Bit of a misunderstanding of the function of Whirlfloc I believe. Copied from the Internet:
"Whirlfloc is a kettle fining. It is used in the boil for AG brews to clumpagulate proteins/break material so they drop out of suspension during the whirlpool, making it easier to avoid getting crap into the FV/cube."
It shouldn't have an impact on the final clarity of your beer. Taste, probably not.

MastersBrewery said:
the number of times I've forgotten the whirfloc exceeds the number of children I have many fold and my kids with me and the boss would only be short a player or two of fielding a cricket team. Unless it's going to show it'll be fine!
Is there a correlation there?

So it doesn't affect the performance of a cold crash at all?

Back