No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm....Stone and Wood Pacific Ale isn't quite what I was expecting unfortunately. Shame as I was looking forward to it. Over the past month 4 people have told me how great it is and asked how to make it. Unfortunately I couldn't give them an answer as I hadn't tried it or looked it up. Sent the missus on a mission to DM to buy a 6 pack. To be honest I have a longneck of a kit beer in the fridge now which is hopped and dry hopped with galaxy that would give it a very good run for its money. Very disappointed.

mate, sounds like the usual dan murphy's treatment.. it's a pretty fragile beer: all late hops, pale malt & some wheat and that's it. Withhold your judgement until you have it on tap I'd say.

That's right, for some reason beer had always travelled up to cairns quite well but having it on tap in brissy blew me away.

LOL actually scratch that.....I just tried the said kit beer in the fridge and its terrible compared to the 6 pack. Same hops etc. Would love to try it on tap to compare with the bottles. Its very easy to drink but from all accounts I was expecting a bit more....something?

Nope, sorry but this beer isn't for me. It just reminds me of a kit beer that's been overly hopped to mask the fact that its a kit. Nothing special whatsoever. Im no beer snob but ive just struggled through the 5th stubby and don't feel like drinking the last one.

Steve said:
LOL actually scratch that.....I just tried the said kit beer in the fridge and its terrible compared to the 6 pack. Same hops etc. Would love to try it on tap to compare with the bottles. Its very easy to drink but from all accounts I was expecting a bit more....something?
Haha, if the pacific wasn't so damn expensive for what it is it would be my go to commercial beer when running low on home brew, I love the huge hop character they have managed without having the beer completely unbalanced, it's a great summer quaffer.

If I could just figure out how to use Galaxy in the beers I brew without it going grassy I'd keep something similar on tap during the warmer months.

Steve said:
Nope, sorry but this beer isn't for me. It just reminds me of a kit beer that's been overly hopped to mask the fact that its a kit. Nothing special whatsoever. Im no beer snob but ive just struggled through the 5th stubby and don't feel like drinking the last one.
I've tried swpa in bottles from quality shops and on tap and I've always found it lacking. It has a galaxy hop punch when fresh (admittedly not a huge fan of galaxy) but little malt backbone. Can see it as a gateway, summer smasher like JS golden ale used to be and I think that is its intention but generally I find it overrated. Probably my expectations more than the beer.

JS golden ale never had or was even in the ballpark for the amount of hop presence. Fresh S&W is like drinking pasito with lawn clippings & yeast in it :D

Liam_snorkel said:
JS golden ale never had or was even in the ballpark for the amount of hop presence. Fresh S&W is like drinking pasito with lawn clippings & yeast in it :D
When put like that it sounds pretty horrid, pretty much perfect description though.

I don't mean they were comparable in that regard - just that the market and appeal (old JS not that Chancer shite) were similar - 'beery' enough to be served to people whose tastes verge towards mainstrema pale lager, drunk cold at a barbecue rather than for Certified Craft Nerds to run through BJCP scoresheets, post on ratebeer and tell people at parties they're drinking it wrong.

I like pasito but please keep it away from my beer. Grass clippings can stay in the pile at the back.

Liam_snorkel said:
I just had a fresh S&W PA off tap with lunch. Bloody delicious.
I also dig it, but it isn't because u don't like it Manticle and we are never allowed to agree with each other ;) I think it's pretty damn good, but the brewery is only down the road I suppose and it'd maybe taste fresher. Has been over a year since I had it, and only ever on tap.

Bribie G said:
Hi Pollux. I've moved from Bribie Island to Old Bar. There's another Orange guy on the forum if you have a look around. Best Regards to Mrs and Ms Pollux.
Somebody mentioned Orange? Flattered.
Need to start a brew club as it's a bit lonely. Actually walked the kids past a garage in the northern estate of Diamond Drive and noticed a keg boiler in the garage with a few chairs around it. They live among us.

Yeap. I'm part of the Orange crowd now.....

Although I haven't brewed ay home in ages, partly because my HLT is at work being used as a caustic soda boiler and partly because I am able to take home beer from work.

Bribie, Old Bar hey? might have to stop by next time I go see the parents up Kempsey way.

shaunous said:
I also dig it, but it isn't because u don't like it Manticle and we are never allowed to agree with each other ;) I think it's pretty damn good, but the brewery is only down the road I suppose and it'd maybe taste fresher. Has been over a year since I had it, and only ever on tap.
I've found it holds up pretty well in bottles for how much of the flavour profile is apparently from late kettle/whirlpool additions.

It is almost always better on tap though, hoping the bar we drink at pregame during the football season has kept it a standard tap this year, its a cracker for Sunday afternoon sessions in the middle of summer. Love the 4ish% ABV too, makes the next day a bit more bearable.

Latest posts

Back