No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they bluntly state they don't want gifts, just money

Mate my partner got an invitation to a 30th birthday recently that stated that.

A 30th? **** me sideways.

Give 'em 20c in a tupperware container. They can re-use tupperware so it's generous AND practical.

Mate my partner got an invitation to a 30th birthday recently that stated that.

A 30th? **** me sideways.

Give 'em 20c in a tupperware container. They can re-use tupperware so it's generous AND practical.

Do you know how much genuine Tupperware is?
**** that, they'll get Supperware and they'll like it.

Do you know how much genuine Tupperware is?
**** that, they'll get Supperware and they'll like it.

Make sure it's the old school stuff loaded with BPA's. That'll learn em.

Make sure it's the old school stuff loaded with BPA's. That'll learn em.

:lol:

What an awesome passive aggressive gift - for the people who invited you but you really didn't want to go: "congratulations, and here; please enjoy this bounty of non-microwaveable, non-freezable plastic containers. Store away from heat and sunlight!" Love it.

I went to a friends 30th a few years ago where a friends band was playing in the garage. After the speeches some old fat drunk chick got up and announced they were taking donations for the band, and "$10 will cover it". She came round to me and I said truthfully, "I've got no money in my wallet, but they can have some of my homebrew". She fully grunted at me and stormed off.

They weren't even that good, but they made a killing that night.

It's not that I resent giving a gift. In fact, for the last few weddings we have been to we have donated cash, and not ungenerously.
You will note in my original post, we intend to donate to my niece, and it will be cash. Cash or gifts were mentioned in neither her invitation nor her website. Happy to play the game in those circumstances.

I just don't like the blatant push for cash donations. It's not to be used to set up a home as, after all, they've already done that for some years. It's the grab for financial support for their world touring jet setting "honeymoon" that's the problem. Well, bugger it, if they want to do a world tour, they can darn well work for it, just like mrs warra and I had to. No one paid for our last trip, which had to come out of our self managed super fund.

tell me someone has some screenshots of 'the cola brew is down' thread before it was closed. I assume you-know-who was an absolute so-and-so again.

Weddings can be a such a lucky dip.
Sometimes you hit the jackpot - sat at a table with familiar company, broad selection of alcohol, hearty mains with seafood entree at a nice venue.
Or on the other hand - basically total the opposite, plus the feeling you were only invited as to not put anyone's nose out of joint and lengthen the David Jones gift register.

Money comes and goes. So give the gift that keeps on giving I say.

cf3389e9_istockphoto_1579813-dildo-golden-vibrator-isolated-on-white.jpg

It's the grab for financial support for their world touring jet setting "honeymoon" that's the problem.

I figure the point of a cash gift from the average guest (i.e. not parents) is to pay for the wedding itself. The last wedding I went to was $130/head plus they put a bottle of scotch on each table. I saw giving a cash present mostly as me paying for a night out, and if they get a bit of change out of it for honeymoon or whatever then that's good as well.

I'd much rather someone state that they want cash because it removes any ambiquity or doubt at all and clearly sets expectations.

Ahhhh, finally got some internet out here is lovely Orange......

The move went well, the vege patch has been nicely seeded and I managed to spot a rose arch behind the shed that may well be used to support some hops.....

Only downside is that I left my entire hop stash sitting in my inlaws freezer as safe keeping over the move and I forgot to collect, have to wait till next weekend till I can brew.

Talking of gift cards, here's the best freebie out there (in case you haven't heard of it).
Stick your details on www.tarocash.com.au , including your birthdate, and every birthday they send you a $50 voucher for their store.
I just scored yet another one last week, and "bought" a free pair of trousers for work.
Better than an unwanted pressy from the oldies.

While they sell your details to Nigerians and anyone else who wants to pay for 000's of what they give you.

I figure the point of a cash gift from the average guest (i.e. not parents) is to pay for the wedding itself. The last wedding I went to was $130/head plus they put a bottle of scotch on each table. I saw giving a cash present mostly as me paying for a night out, and if they get a bit of change out of it for honeymoon or whatever then that's good as well.

I'd much rather someone state that they want cash because it removes any ambiquity or doubt at all and clearly sets expectations.

I have recently gotten married and I can say its a bloody rip off for everything you do. Even simple stuff like chair covers, we were held to our contract with the venue so had to pay over twice what we could source them for.

We paid about $140/head, even after doing a lot of leg work ourselves.

We didn't specify money, we left it for people to choose, but vouchers and cash were much appreciated. We also appreciated gifts from people, despite not needing anything. We appreciated the thought, and all gifts can be used (we didn't get 16 toasters for instance).

What i didn't appreciate is people who didn't give anything. One family, 5 in total, gave nothing. 4700 for them to eat and drink!! Wouldn't mind so much but they were my sister's family!!!!

I'll be a mod, you're all banned until you send me beer, lots of it :lol:

I have recently gotten married and I can say its a bloody rip off for everything you do. Even simple stuff like chair covers, we were held to our contract with the venue so had to pay over twice what we could source them for.

We paid about $140/head, even after doing a lot of leg work ourselves.

We didn't specify money, we left it for people to choose, but vouchers and cash were much appreciated. We also appreciated gifts from people, despite not needing anything. We appreciated the thought, and all gifts can be used (we didn't get 16 toasters for instance).

What i didn't appreciate is people who didn't give anything. One family, 5 in total, gave nothing. 4700 for them to eat and drink!! Wouldn't mind so much but they were my sister's family!!!!

Maybe you should have sent them the bill?

Weddings are [often] stupidly expensive and everybody sees you coming and decides to rip you off - if you let them. You don't have to spend $4700 on one family of 5. That's your choice (whether or not it's a result of pressure you felt from society/family etc).

People come to your wedding (or should come) because you invited them to celebrate your new, legal partnership with someone. A gift is nice, a gift is traditional but why invite people if you are only going to resent how much you had to spend?

I've been to weddings with no gifts because my friends specified no gifts or because I've simply been utterly broke but wanted to share their special moment with them. Others I've given presents that meant something deeper than giving them the money they wasted on stuff nobody needs.

If you think weddings are expensive, try spending less and inviting less guests.

As for a 30th asking for money - that's just plain shit behaviour and if the person asking wasn't so dumb, I'd believe they were rude. Unfortunately they are just stupid. Either way, my non attendance won't cost them a dime and that's as much as they'll see from me too.

Not Gen whatever vs gen whatever to me - I'm still young enough to have all of my teeth (unfortunately not my hair though) but I see blatant money grubbing at any event as just that. Even wedding registers seem a bit off to me. If I ever get married, you can bring me a bottle of whisky, a voucher for dimmeys or whatever the hell you think is appropriate or you can afford at the time. If I invite you, it's because I want you there, not your gifts or recompense for having fed you.

Maybe that's why I've been de facto for 12 years?

Back